Greece or Alaska

mcgrawfamily

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone: No surprise that our Portugal trip was canceled. However, we are not giving up on an ABD this summer. We are now debating between Greece and Alaska. Any opinions? Thank you

I agree. Although Greece is looking better than most right now (nothing official, but Greek higher-ups are talking about letting US tourists in this summer) Alaska is far more likely to be open to out-of-state tourists than Greece is of being open to folks from the US. It's a bit of a crapshoot right now. And if you're traveling with kids under 16, you're less likely to have to worry about them perhaps not being vaccinated yet, if Greece does like Iceland did, and require proof of either vaccination or previous COVID-19 infection to allow you in.

Sayhello

Considering how much Alaska has done to get their state ready for tourists, I'm so excited to travel there this summer. When Canada effectively cancelled the 2021 cruise ship season, Alaska realized they needed to do everything they can to get travelers in by air. They have already lifted their negative Covid test and quarantine requirements (and my son and I will be fully vaccinated by the time we take our trip).

We were in Hawaii the summer Kilauea erupted, and I can't even tell you how appreciative the locals were that we didn't cancel our trip. I'm expecting our trip to Alaska to be similar. And it makes me feel better about our trip to know I am helping their tourism industry get back on its feet. All of the hotels, vendors, attractions, etc., that I am following on Instagram seem very eager to welcome tourists back!

On a selfish note, this might be the best summer to visit, since there won't be thousands of cruise ship tourists.

On a selfish note, this might be the best summer to visit, since there won't be thousands of cruise ship tourists.
I am cruising to inside passage Alaska next summer, providing the ships are cruising again by then, but your comment now has me wondering if an interior Alaska trip this summer is something I need to explore,,,,hmmm....time to start some research!

I would pick Alaska. Even if Greece opens to US tourists, we have no idea what kind of hoops we will need to jump through to enter the country and then re-enter the US after the trip. Not only that, but Greece gets really hot in the summer. I would not want to be trekking through the sites in Greece with a mask on. They are both spectacular destinations, but with all of the outdoor activities available and the relative ease of traveling within the US, I think this is the summer to visit Alaska.

I am booked on the Greek cruise and I am wondering if I should change it to Alaska because of the airline prices, the different protocol for different countries -if you don't have a direct flight - stuff like that. Just seems easier to go to Alaska. I am still on the fence though. Anyone have a thought on it?

I am booked on the Greek cruise and I am wondering if I should change it to Alaska because of the airline prices, the different protocol for different countries -if you don't have a direct flight - stuff like that. Just seems easier to go to Alaska. I am still on the fence though. Anyone have a thought on it?
Honestly? I would say save the Greek cruise for later. It is much easier to get to Alaska, and you can get there without going through a foreign country and worrying about testing, ever-changing protocols, etc. (As you say, non-direct flights in Europe can cause a whole other level of difficulties). Alaska is amazing, and I really enjoyed the Alaska ABD. Although I'm just realizing you may be talking about the Alaska cruise, not the Alaska ABD. *Currently*, DCL has obtained "special dispensation" to not have to sail to a foreign port, since Canada has not allowed Americans in. That may change if Canada re-opens, but it does allow the Alaska cruises to sail.

Sayhello

I definitely vote for anything that doesn't require international flight. During covid, that is a whole different ball game, as our experience getting to/from Morocco showed.

Thanks.. I keep thinking a Greek cruise is fantastic, but I am not sure it will be as nice as it would be in a few years beyond this unpleasant time. Just the flight trying to figure that out is giving me anxiety. Thanks for your thoughts... I appreciate it.

Hello Everyone: No surprise that our Portugal trip was canceled. However, we are not giving up on an ABD this summer. We are now debating between Greece and Alaska. Any opinions? Thank you
I agree. Greece would be a dicey choice. Greece and other EU states could re-instate a travel ban.

I'm dying to get on a Greek Isles cruise and would choose that over Alaska any day... except today. I have to agree with the consensus that getting to Alaska is just easier and not likely to change.

I live in Germany (stationed here) and was in the states for most of July. My family and I had no problems getting into the US (negative COVID test all that was required) nor getting back into Germany (negative tests for my girls, show CDC vaccination card for DW and I). That said, we were flying on orders, and have official passports and an address in Germany should there have been a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter