Great time at SSR

Before giving out any info to a credit card company, bank etc. that calls me, I tell them I'll call them back. I then call the customer number.

BTW, this is why they put safes in the rooms! Use them people!!! If you are concerned about something that doesn't fit in the safe take it to the front desk and talk to the manager. Most times they will offer to have it stored at bell service. All you have to do is grab it when you get back.

Unfortunately for the OP, her Mom may never know how her number was compromised. We have had our cards replaced twice this summer due ot possibel fraud. The first was due to the Marshalls/TJMaxx fiasco that actually happened more than a year ago. The new card was then compromised less than 3 months after we received it.

As has been noted, there are so many ways to compromise a card. Even using soem kinds of shredders for you trash can make paperwork vulnerable to having it pieced back together.

The thing that just doesn't make sense to me is that if it was compromised in the rooms at SSR, the thief had to go thru mom's purse, pull out Mom's wallet, write down the card info, then leave everything in place. Maybe Mom kept her card separate from her cash and everything else she has of value, but even if the thief only wanted the card info, why not take the card? I don't really suffer from dyslexia, but sometimes when I try to copy down numbers, it sure seems like I do!

Best of luck to the OP and her Mom -- Suzanne

I had a HUGH problem with Chase. My CC# was stolen while in Florida too. We used it once at the Alamo counter so we know where it was stolen from. While I was in WDW my CC# was used in Canada to charge up over $8000.00 at an electonics store. I didn't notice until I got home and went online to pay the bill and noticed this charge. I called Chase and they made me jump through hoop to prove I didn't make those chrges. Even going as far as making me get a signed statement from the hotel manager stating I was there during the time frame of the charges!! (BTW the managment at SSR is wonderful!! They were so helpful.) I never charge more than $1000.00 at a time. They should have caught this. After 3 1/2 months I finally got the money back plus the interest that they made me pay until the matter was resolved. It took me another 3 months to close the account!! They wouldn't close it! I finally had to write a very nasty letter to the General Manager and the account was finally closed. I have never gone back to Chase. I now use my AMX. Now they know customer service!

Wow, this is so different than my experience with Chase. They immediately reversed the charges and sent the affidavit, the only thing they asked was for me to check to see if my internet provider had changed names, since one of the charges was for a webhost. I told them I use Comcast, and don't have a webhost, they said "okay" and took off the charge right away.

Our Credit Cards were stolen from our Marriott Tampa hotel room in 2005.

We went to the beach on Saturday, and on Sunday, Chase had called our home (my MIL passed on the message) to ask about the charges.

Anybody that knows me, knows I do not shop at Wal-Mart, so that was a dead give away. That's bad when Chase knows I dont shop there. It's not a snooty thing, I have a health problem, I get physically ill whenever I set foot in the place:rotfl:

They immediately credited back the charges and I did have to fill out all the paperwork, but they didnt make it too hard.

Anyway, our cards were used within hours of them being stolen, like we left at 1pm and they started using our cards at 3:30pm across the street from the hotel at a gas station, then at the mall across the street and then at Wal-Mart. We shut it all down within 24 hours of the card being stolen.

My Dh had his cards stolen out his car here at home, and sure enough, they hit gas stations and Wal-Mart. We were told that Wal-Mart is very lax in their credit card security, they dont have camera records on all registers, and they dont really cooperate with police when it comes to fraud cases.

I would think that after 6 weeks, there would have been a statement in the mail reflecting the charge, not a phone call.
Also, Im not understanding what the secret is either. Posting where the card was used, compromises what? At this point, it is moot the card is closed and we dont have the number if it wasnt.
Also, I thought it was pretty weird that the other theft thread was used as a background to this breaking news.........

I respect OP's and her mother's privacy, but I think Tim has a good point here.

When you put something like this "out there," I think you incur an obligation to let people know that there either is or isn't a problem once you get the facts. Especially if those facts show that the problem did not originate at SSR.

Hey Jim,
It was an internet charge one transaction. We know the date but refrain from the name of the store and the date. The fraud dept will investigate. I have learned a lot on these boards. We never knew there could be all these scenarios. I told Mom this could be easy for fraud to track because in this case it needs to be shipped to an address. Hey I could be wrong here too.

In addition, I want to appologize to all out there that thought I was an alarmist.! It really did not mean to come out that way. I wrote the thread when I was upset and my head was spinning! I am not one to put blame any one person. I just thought it could of happened there, as to who I did not know and I did not know other scenarios could exist. I have never had credit card theft happen to me TG.

You guys are a wealth of knowledge and all of your help was greatly appreciated. We have learned to be open to all scenarios no matter how slim they can be. Thanks for that. I told Mom to call all three credit agencies to put out the alert and oull her reports to make sure there were no changes to her file. Someone said to also call Social Security too. I told her it couldn't hurt.

Now if there is a problem Mom will contact the appropiate people directly. I want to bring this to a closure and I said I would tell you the outcome and I gave whatever info I can give at this time. So no... the charge did not occur in Orlando it was items that were purchased on the net, and one charge.

I am confused so did it happen at SSR or not, or don't know. :confused3

Sammie,

I do not know. What came back was a bunch of items purchased from one online store. Some people asked where did the charge come from so I am assuming they were looking to see if the charges came from the Orlando area. I do not know what they really wanted to know or what I could tell them. I know it was an online store and the date. It was one transaction for 1700.00 and something. Now they told Mom they will investigate and contact her. That is all I have. They told her if it would make her feel better she could go into her bank and they could reiterate everything to her husband.

Well I for one am pleased (and not that surprised) to hear that the SSR housekeeper is not identified in this issue. Perhaps it is time to amend the title of the thread so as not to confuse new readers.

Glad to hear that the issue is being resolved, and that it is not necessarily an SSR or even DVC issue.

Sammie,

I do not know. What came back was a bunch of items purchased from one online store. Some people asked where did the charge come from so I am assuming they were looking to see if the charges came from the Orlando area. I do not know what they really wanted to know or what I could tell them. I know it was an online store and the date. It was one transaction for 1700.00 and something. Now they told Mom they will investigate and contact her. That is all I have. They told her if it would make her feel better she could go into her bank and they could reiterate everything to her husband.

Ok Sense the location of the theft at this point is unknown and might not ever be known, it would be nice to change the title and remove SSR from it since there is no definite proof.

Well I for one am pleased (and not that surprised) to hear that the SSR housekeeper is not identified in this issue. Perhaps it is time to amend the title of the thread so as not to confuse new readers.

Glad to hear that the issue is being resolved, and that it is not necessarily an SSR or even DVC issue.

Well it is not resolved for us, but the charge did not originate in the Orlando area. Whatever that means. I really do not know. You guys know so much more on this subject.Thanks to you too Bavaria you have given great insite as well!!! Still confused but relieved a bit for the moment.:confused3

Ok Sense the location of the theft at this point is unknown and might not ever be known, it would be nice to change the title and remove SSR from it since there is no definite proof.

Hey can you do that? Lets do that!!! If something changes Mom will just go directly to people involved.

Hey can you do that? Lets do that!!! If something changes Mom will just go directly to people involved.

Go back to your first post when you started the thread and click on Edit, at the bottom and you should be able to take out SSR issue, because at this point its a Credit Card issue not necessarily a SSR issue.

You can also add at the top of your comments that the update is post #106

Go back to your first post when you started the thread and click on Edit, at the bottom and you should be able to take out SSR issue, because at this point its a Credit Card issue not necessarily a SSR issue.

You can also add at the top of your comments that the update is post #106

I did that but did not do the post #106 thing. Thanks!

I did that but did not do the post #106 thing. Thanks!

You can edit it again if you want to, that way some might not want to read thru the pages and pages of back and forth. But changing the title is a good jesture of good will. :thumbsup2

You can edit it again if you want to, that way some might not want to read thru the pages and pages of back and forth. But changing the title is a good jesture of good will. :thumbsup2

Sure Sammie! I do not want lose credibility! It truly happened. So what do I do. Change the whole thread!

Sure Sammie! I do not want lose credibility! It truly happened. So what do I do. Change the whole thread!

That wont be necessarily, just go back to the first comment you posted, and at the top put Update: Post 106

You can even add it to your title, that is what some do when they have an update to a long thread.

I saw a TV show a few weeks ago, and it really is easier than you think to get someones credit card #, so I doubt it had anythig to do with Disney or SSR (although there is still the possibility.) At least this thread will serve as a reminder to be careful with your info, even on vacation.

Folks get these numbers from any number of sources, then post them on the internet in a usenet type board. Someone else then "buys" the number and the charges begin. They are often shipped to the home of what may be considered another innocent victim, a lonely someone looking for "love" on the internet...usally the person onf their dreams (whom they've never met in person, mind you) get them to agree to thave the stolen goods shipped to their home, then the second, lovelorn victim pays to re-ship it to their new found love oversees (often Nigeria or a nearby country). The person re-shipping the items is told a story like "I need this for my business, I own a store, but the company won't ship directly to Africa, so can you re-ship it to me, please...I'll pay you back."

Of course, after spending hundreds, or thousands of $$ on re-shipping, the love is suddenly "gone" and the internet friend is never heard from again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter