Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just combed through all the latest news on that link and can't see anything relating to that?
Look closer, Martin put it in there.

It pains me to say I may have ridden my last GMR.

As things stands at the moment, when I return in the fall the attraction should be closed.
Post 3119 on page 156 of that thread. He goes on to other detail, but this was the main post that pushed the thread again.

GMR is terrific in concept, but flawed that it takes frequent updates to keep interest. I personally have skipped it frequently as I don't want to sit through the same sketch, scenes, etc that are only entertaining the first time you ride it. Though,still have good memories and several of the scenes are really cool.

I hope they come up with a great ride.

GMR is terrific in concept, but flawed that it takes frequent updates to keep interest. I personally have skipped it frequently as I don't want to sit through the same sketch, scenes, etc that are only entertaining the first time you ride it. Though,still have good memories and several of the scenes are really cool.

I hope they come up with a great ride.
Per the rumors and reports I have read, this has potential.

It will be trackless similar to Mystic Manor, Rat, and new ride in SWL. One insider has it as SWL will be tops, then Mickey ride, then new Rat in France as what will be most impressive.

To finally have a ride - centered on the key figure of this park is long, long over due. And while I agree with ALL the insiders on this topic, that I would much rather have had this as a new build, and GMR updated and kept to eat capacity.....at least if it is as good as expected, I am okay, but sad with loss of GMR.

I'm okay with GMR changing to something with Mickey, but will miss GMR at the same time. I just wish that these changes at HS were a little more spread out since the park has had so many closures to make way for Star Wars and Toy Story.

I am so sad to hear this. GMR is one of my favorites- I remember riding it when I was little and thinking it was the neatest thing. GMR is partially to thank for my love of classic films. The new stuff is awesome, but part of the charm of Disney to me is the nostalgia of knowing that the classic rides will always be there. I definitely consider GMR as one of those classic rides. As a side note, please don't touch the Tower of Terror at HS! I would be so upset if they tried to re-theme it or change it in any way!

And because the 4 parks plus waterparks plus Downtown Disney plus resort amenities already far outstrip the ability of a family to see it all in one reasonable vacation trip. Eventually I think they will add a new park, simply to keep people coming back. But we are well past the every decade addition we saw from opening until AK.

I also love TGMR and will be sorry to see it go. Hope it still open for our 2017 trip....

As tired as it is, TGMR is a sentimental favorite so I hope it will still be open for one last ride when I am there this fall.

Hopefully it will still be open for September. Be nice to ride it one last time and I'll be happy to see it upgraded.

Just got back from DW trip on 04/10 with DD14. We did TGMR one last time. I told my DD about the closing and she was so upset. She actually went on a rant, lol. She did that ride when she was 8, 12 and then this time at 14 and she has such fond memories of it. DHS is so lean on rides and classic ones at that.

Don't get me wrong, we love the thrill rides but also enjoy rides like this and Carousel of Progress, Country Bears, etc. I still have fond memories when I went to DW for the first time in the 70's and did IASW and some of the other classic rides in MK that are still there. As one poster mentioned earlier, that's what makes the Disney brand special...that nostalgic feeling you get when you go back or take your kids or grandkids and go on those same rides. Yeah, I agree, it could've used a refresher but, just like many of the classic books never go out of style, so it's the same with classic movies... just add in some of the newer classics, as well.

Oh well, looks like it's not meant to be. Will be sad to see it go. I just hope whatever they replace it with has that same classic feeling to it albeit with newer technology. The Mickey ideas that some posters have mentioned sounds good... like going back to Steamboat Willie and moving forward with Mickey's progression.

Also, not to hijack thread or change topic, but just a quick question if anyone has heard that RNRC is losing Aerosmith as the feature band on that ride. Love RNRC with the Aerosmith songs. A lady at the park told me that is ending and she heard they were changing the band to Foo Fighters. Maybe this is old news but I hadn't heard anything and wondered if it was true.

Geesh, hope they don't touch TOT. We love everything about that ride as well.

Also, not to hijack thread or change topic, but just a quick question if anyone has heard that RNRC is losing Aerosmith as the feature band on that ride. Love RNRC with the Aerosmith songs. A lady at the park told me that is ending and she heard they were changing the band to Foo Fighters. Maybe this is old news but I hadn't heard anything and wondered if it was true.

Geesh, hope they don't touch TOT. We love everything about that ride as well.
ToT and RnRc are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

I will miss The Great Movie Ride, but I guess I understand the need for change. The building is iconic and it makes me happy that it's staying. Looking forward to what may come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter