Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree except for avatar. Just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean you won't like the land. The land has the potential to be the best themed land in a theme park.

This exactly. I fell asleep during Avatar and never bothered to try watching it again, but I'm excited about Pandora in AK. It should be absolutely gorgeous and new rides are always welcome. Would I have preferred the original idea of Beastly Kingdom? Sure, but that's not happening.

My guess, as pointed out by others, is you can skip the rides, you can reject the movies, but the theming and world created is going to be something you have to see.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't have any desire to see the movie and because of that, an Avatar based land is a "meh" for me and my family.

This makes me so sad. I'm a huge movie buff so it's definitely one of our favorite "must do" rides - but I never knew that so many people didn't like it! I agree with PPs that they could have easily kept the ride updated with newer properties & dialogue, while keeping the classics as the highlights. Very sad to see it go. At least we'll be able to ride it one more time in Feb.

I really like GMR and will miss it.

Most of the movies from the last 10-15 years don't hold much attraction for me. I like the older movies that are shown on the ride.

I agree. Why not keep the good old rides and add new ones? For example, if they replace GMR with something we don't care for, it will be one less thing that we can do at a park that is quickly losing its attractiveness for my family. Avatar holds no attraction for me or my family, so when it opens, we probably won't go in that area.

I agree with the bolded part. I'm an avid TCM watcher and a classic movie fan in general, so I'd hate to see the GMR go. I guess it's inevitable though, given the whole Studios theme is practically dead and buried.

TGMR inspired me to watch Singin' in the Rain, Footlight Parade, Mary Poppins, The Searchers, Tarzan the Ape Man, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Alien, Fantasia, Casablanca and The Wizard of Oz. I don't get why people find this boring.

There's a whole world of amazing cinema out there that's unfortunately left unexplored by the youth of today, because "it's in Black and White", "it has subtitles" etc. The GMR was one way to introduce them to these classics and highlight the enjoyment they could have from viewing and sharing them with their family.

When I first went to MGM soon after opening, I dug this ride, but it is time for this ride to move on. Just doesn't fit with the new direction of the park, plus the movies though considered "classics" are stale after all these years.

I will take my kids on it one last time this year and that will be it for us (and possibly for DHS until the construction is complete).

Actually, i've never seen Avatar and don't have any plans to do so, even though my cell phone came with a free copy when I bought it. It doesn't hold any attraction to me.

And if a land is based around a movie that I don't have any desire to see, I have to ask myself "why go there?"
Even if the land is incredibly immersive and has incredible attractions? Just because you have no desire to see the movie doesn't mean you wouldn't like the land. The land isn't actually going to be based on the movie but rather the land within the movie. So you won't necessarily be seeing specific characters from the movie.

If I didn't like star wars but the rides in the land are some of the best in the country I would still go on them because I am a theme park fan, but thats just me.

Big Hero 6 or Wreck it Ralph?
Even though I would love both, I'm only leaning towards Wreck-It Ralph here because it has SO much theme park potential. Not that Big Hero 6 doesn't, I just felt that it doesn't have as much potential for awesome rides

Jim hill was the first to mention GMR going away in 2014. Things have changed a bit since then but it seems it's still going away.
First time I heard the rumors was the Chinese theater villains ride. I would actually be ok with that

Ha maybe the Great Movie Ride will be rethemed to Guardians of the Galaxy. I feel management wants to change every attraction to some form of Guardians attraction. What we really need is a real life Guardians of the Hollywood Studios. To protect the park from terrible ideas from management.
Well that was the rumor when Guardians came out, and the idea I heard of you breaking into a world premiere of the movie and actually jumping into that world sounded pretty good to me.

I'm definitely going to try and go get a last ride. Although I will admit I think TCM ruined how I originally knew the ride. The original script was filled with cheese but it worked and TCM's felt more like a commercial. Not to mention I hate the new end montage. The old one gave me goosebumps, new one make me want to cry. I could go on for days about the new montage.

Granted that was like 10 years ago. But then again that was also around the time I heard mine train rumors
A mine train type ride goes all the way back to walt. When he was thinking of disneyland and one of his first ideas was expanding the studio lot to have some attractions a snow white mine train type attraction was one of the things he was going to do. Then of course he went bigger and better and we got disneyland.

I find this sad. I do consider the ride stale but not the topic. There have been many great movies made over the years and many of the really old ones would likely be enjoyed by most people. This rush to wanting only shiny and new misses a lot.

What in the world will DHS' theme be? It's such a mix of this and that right now.

I find this sad. I do consider the ride stale but not the topic. There have been many great movies made over the years and many of the really old ones would likely be enjoyed by most people. This rush to wanting only shiny and new misses a lot.

What in the world will DHS' theme be? It's such a mix of this and that right now.
Instead of putting you inside movie making DHS will put you inside the movie. The last studio type element will be Indiana Jones which has no current plans to change yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter