Gratuities are now $13.50/day

Do I understand correctly that the Stateroom Host(ess) is not getting an increase in tips? Just the serving team, each increased $0.50 per night? I think that leaves the following break-down:

stateroom host $4.00
server $4.50
assistant server $3.50
head server $1.50

I don't think that's correct. It's the head server who isn't getting the increase.

I think it's about time! They haven't increased them since 2008 apparently? We always (ok, almost always) give extra in the envelopes anyway.

This is good news.

Personally, I think it makes sense to not increase the Head Server since they are less guest facing than the other positions. As many have said, the work of the Head Server is mainly behind the scenes.

Do I understand correctly that the Head Server is not getting an increase in tips? Each increased $0.50 per night? I think that leaves the following break-down:

stateroom host $4.50
server $4.50
assistant server $3.50
head server $1.00 (remains unchanged)

edited to correct which position remains unchanged

Seems that is the case, which is garbage. The stateroom host works pretty hard depending on the stateroom occupants.

I am wondering if they got a positional raise that offsets that.

I'm totally ok with it too. The service on our cruises has been exceptional and we always tip more anyway.

Do they actually get this money, though? I have heard on more than one occasion of cruise lines raising gratuities and the actual employees not getting the money. The cruise line keeps it for themselves. I have read this over and over but never know if it is true or not. Some claim to have spoken to employees who say the don't see a penny of the increases.
I am guessing that the CM's will be receiving "all" of the increase - Since it is delimited by person. But what we don't know (never knew) is if DCL "acting as the CM's 'bank' " charges them a fee, and if DCL does charge the CM's a "banking" fee - are they raising their fees as well as the suggested daily gratuity? My gut is telling me that the increase on the other cruise lines does not go 100% to the servers / stewards, but some of it is siphoned off to the cruise line, just based upon the wording that they (other CL's) use.

The Palo / Remy service charge I feel is a different beast. My best guess is that those servers still receive a very small portion of the fee, and that they did NOT participate in the recent large increase in the service fee. I'm sure that this was discussed on the thread about the increase, but my memory is faulty.

AND I am more than OK with the higher suggested gratuities since we usually give these folks more than the new standard amounts.

But what we don't know (never knew) is if DCL "acting as the CM's 'bank' " charges them a fee, and if DCL does charge the CM's a "banking" fee - are they raising their fees as well as the suggested daily gratuity?
I asked our waiters if they preferred cash or tipping on the account. One said that it didn't matter, and the other said that the account is simpler. I can easily imagine a CM saying that it doesn't matter even if it does (to try to make a guest feel like they can do whatever they want to); however, I'd be surprised if a CM would indicate a preference for the account version if they were losing a fee on it.
Anyone on the boards served in a tipped position and have first hand knowledge?

Eleven years. 50 cent increase. That's not cool, but not because it went up. But because it hasn't gone up enough. I'll keep stuffing those envelopes with cash in addition to the prepaid.

I am guessing that the CM's will be receiving "all" of the increase - Since it is delimited by person. But what we don't know (never knew) is if DCL "acting as the CM's 'bank' " charges them a fee, and if DCL does charge the CM's a "banking" fee - are they raising their fees as well as the suggested daily gratuity? My gut is telling me that the increase on the other cruise lines does not go 100% to the servers / stewards, but some of it is siphoned off to the cruise line, just based upon the wording that they (other CL's) use.

The Palo / Remy service charge I feel is a different beast. My best guess is that those servers still receive a very small portion of the fee, and that they did NOT participate in the recent large increase in the service fee. I'm sure that this was discussed on the thread about the increase, but my memory is faulty.

AND I am more than OK with the higher suggested gratuities since we usually give these folks more than the new standard amounts.
What wording does the other cruise lines use that make you think they siphon some off?

What wording does the other cruise lines use that make you think they siphon some off?
There’s always been scuttlebutt pertaining to this or similar things that take money away from crew members. But the truth is that we don’t know for certain. Would be nice if a media outlet could do a deep dive into this so we can at least get an understanding of things.

That aside, I’m glad that DCL did a gratuity increase. Really felt that they were behind everyone else wrt the amount. That’s only one part of the equation, of course - we don’t know crew salaries, for example - but this is one thing that we, as cruisers, can see.

I'm fine with this. these people deserve the raise.

We're prepaid for our cruise next month, says we won't have to pay the difference, maybe I should call and bump it up.
I guess it all works out when we add the cash to the envelopes though.
I have all 3 of my cruise gratuities prepaid until 2020.

What is the benefit of prepaying?

I am also glad this has gone up, if you can afford 10K for a cruise then you can afford the tips. I have asked on more then one occasion about how they prefer the tips (cash or credited to them) they have always said they like the credit as it goes on there check and most of them send that home. They said cash is always nice to spend at the ports but they have to pay to exchange it to what ever there currency they have at home.

What is the benefit of prepaying?

For us, we just add it to the cruise fare and be done with it. I add it the day I book the cruise.
Our onboard statement is always big, so it looks better without the gratuities on it too. :rolleyes1

I think it's been $12/day since we first cruised in 2000. Probably overdue and it's so very minimal.

For us, we just add it to the cruise fare and be done with it. I add it the day I book the cruise.
Our onboard statement is always big, so it looks better without the gratuities on it too. :rolleyes1
Always nice to see the bill not go up by $54 every day for sure. Which reminds me that I need to tell my TA to prepay my gratuities.

I don’t mind them increasing the default amount, as we have had, and continue to have, the ability to increase/decrease as we see fit.

I do dislike the fact that they add it to your folio automatically, and the onus is on you to go down to GS to remove or change it if desired. However, I can appreciate that there are probably a fair number of servers/hosts who got stiffed in the past because people simply forgot to submit the gratuity slips.

I think it's been $12/day since we first cruised in 2000. Probably overdue and it's so very minimal.

Nope. My first dcl cruise was in 2006 and it wasn’t 12 dollars a day. Forget all the breakdowns but I remember the head server was 75 cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter