• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grandfathering question for DVC "Y" digital card / extra benefits

aoconnor

WDW Nut
I have a mix of resale and direct points. I first bought several resale contracts from 2016-2018, then 40 direct points at VGF back in the summer of 2019. At that time you needed 75 direct points to qualify for the benefits, so I didn't have enough.

Fast forward to this year and I bought an additional 40 points at VGF direct for 80 points total. I noticed my digital card in my iPhone wallet now says "DVC Y" which surprised me. Do you think my membership number was somehow grandfathered in from my initial direct purchase when you only needed 75 cumulative points? Or is it just a mistake that will correct itself over time?

If you have a resale contract from early 2016 (pre-April 4th, I believe), you have a grandfathered contract. If not, don't tell anyone :rolleyes1

Honestly, I don't think Disney has a really great handle on the qualification requirements. I imagine it's a manual process, and I doubt there's much of an audit involved. I bet you're safe for a while.

Technically, since the requirement for membership extras is now 150, you are supposed to reach that number to be eligible. The fact that it was only 75 when you got the initial 40 is not supposed to count.

However, your report is the first one with this situation and not sure if it will change. I'd check your account online. You used to have the white membership identification card. If they are giving you perks based on what was in effect with that initial purchase, that should now be a blue card. If it is not, then I would say the DVC Y is a glitch and most likely will go away.

If the account has the blue card, and you stay DVC Y, then maybe they did indeed grandfather you back based on the initial purchase. That would be a change, but might be one that could make many people happy if they are in your situation.

My digital card still only says 'DVC'. How do you actually see if it is Y?

I have 150 points all purchased direct.

I have already upgraded the MDE app and also reuploaded the card to my wallet.

Honestly, I don't think Disney has a really great handle on the qualification requirements. I imagine it's a manual process, and I doubt there's much of an audit involved. I bet you're safe for a while.
Technically, since the requirement for membership extras is now 150, you are supposed to reach that number to be eligible. The fact that it was only 75 when you got the initial 40 is not supposed to count.

However, your report is the first one with this situation and not sure if it will change. I'd check your account online. You used to have the white membership identification card. If they are giving you perks based on what was in effect with that initial purchase, that should now be a blue card. If it is not, then I would say the DVC Y is a glitch and most likely will go away.

If the account has the blue card, and you stay DVC Y, then maybe they did indeed grandfather you back based on the initial purchase. That would be a change, but might be one that could make many people happy if they are in your situation.

Thanks, I agree it is probably a manual process and perhaps this was an error. Wouldn't be surprised if it went away at some point but at least I'm a FL resident with access to AP's anyway! Maybe I'll sneak in a visit to TOTWL at some point but don't have much use for the extras either way.

My digital card still only says 'DVC'. How do you actually see if it is Y?

I have 150 points all purchased direct.

I have already upgraded the MDE app and also reuploaded the card to my wallet.

Try to go in to your MDE account, delete your phone number, and add it back in...then delete the pass and upload it again....people have mentioned this seems to fix the DVC only code.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter