• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian to Art of Animation...will I be disappointed?

What about POFQ? Would that be a good compromise? It's only about $150 more for the whole trip...

I'd love to stay at Wilderness, but its a total $1000 more for the trip. Not sure I can justify it for just a quick weekend trip....Maybe when discounts come out!

This is all tied up in your expectations, which we can't duplicate. Like many above, going from the GF to AOA wouldn't be my choice. The vibe is completely different, along with the amenities, ambiance, and room size. On our first family visit we stayed in suite at AOA. Everything looked fun but we found the food court difficult with 3 small kids. Because of that, we all went to one and no one was happy with their meal. After two tries, we avoided it! A couple of nights later, we moved to the Poly for our split stay. Night and Day! Saying that, now our kids would be able to go to the different bays and order what they liked. The suite is a great size for us so, I'm not ruling out a future stay.
Another trip I split POR/YCCL. My youngest walks into the room at POR and yells, "This is IT?" He was disappointed! Well, we had a good time there and I'd split a moderate and deluxe, again. We're 5, so it was a bit tight. No comparison to YC and being able to utilize the lounge, of course.

I stayed at POFQ with my cousin and we both loved it. Compact, transportation was fine, beautiful grounds. I'd look into a moderate, as well. It's on my list for our 20th anniversary trip, that's how much I enjoyed the stay.

I think @alex9179 hit the nail on the head... it’s all about your expectations. If you check in with reasonable expectations and mentally prepared for the VERY different ambiance between AoA and GF, I don’t see why you would be disappointed. AoA is a different experience than GF but it’s not a bad experience by any means (and as you mentioned, you’ll be saving lots of $!) Obviously the decor will be less glamorous and the luxury aspects of the GF won’t be there, but tbh on a 3 day trip you probably won’t be spending much time at the hotel anyway. We went in Dec 2018 and it was too cold for swimming so we spent all our time in the parks. The thing that would give me the most hesitation about AoA is the noise... just be prepared for loud families and crowds!

I would put the $ you save by staying at AoA towards MVMCP or EMM but if Minnie Vans are your thing then go for it. You’ll be at WDW, so no matter where you stay, it will be amazing! Enjoy!

What about POFQ? Would that be a good compromise? It's only about $150 more for the whole trip...

I'd love to stay at Wilderness, but its a total $1000 more for the trip. Not sure I can justify it for just a quick weekend trip....Maybe when discounts come out!

Yes to POFQ, so much better than a value resort and for not much more $.

Hi!

So in this will be our 4th Disney trip. We’ve only stayed at GF or Beach Club. My husband can’t come with to this next trip so it will just be me and DDs ages 9 and 7. We can save tons of money if we stay at AoA vs a deluxe, but just wondering if it will feel like a let down?? I figure with the money we save we can use Minnie Vans if buses are crowded. (This will be during the Christmas season). What are everyone’s thoughts?

I say - go for it! Give AoA or better yet, POP a chance. We had always stayed in deluxe resorts until we decided to give POR a try. We were pleasantly surprised that we enjoyed it.

The Skyliner will be running by December and you will be able to take it from AoA to DHS and Epcot. That will be a big bonus. Three nights is a great way to test a resort. :)

I have stayed at both the GF and AoA. I enjoyed them both and I will return to both. At AoA, the beds will be less comfortable. You will have to ride buses to get everywhere (or maybe the gondola if it's open by the time of your trip). There will be no table service restaurants, on site character dining, or poolside service. If these are things you will be upset to miss, then you may not be happy. However, if it is just you and two daughters older than stroller age, you may not have plans for signature dining or poolside drink service. You aren't dealing with the inconvenience of folding a stroller. Your girls are old enough to travel fine on the bus... And from the GF you have to bus to AK and HS so it isn't completely eliminated. I love the atmosphere at AoA. Some may find it gaudy, but I don't. I think it's fun and festive. I didn't find it to be loud or crowded when I stayed there in late June. To me, the Disney feel of AoA makes it worth a stay even with its shortcomings compared to a deluxe as I detailed above. Without your husband, this may be a good opportunity to give it a try. Both resorts are great. I would think about what amenities at the GF you feel you'd require or be upset to do without. If you feel you wouldn't mind doing without those things for this trip, AoA is a great place in its own right.

I think AoA is worth a stay just to walk around and look at everything there. Lots of large theming elements to see and explore- the Cars pool area is a must see. And the main Nemo pool is very nice. If you know what it is going in, that it is very whimsical not super luxury, it will be a fun adventure, especially for a weekend trip.

My one concern would be if you are going during the Christmas to New Years week. That particular week, transportation would become more of an issue than normal, where walking or monorail to a park becomes more valuable than other times of the year. And I don't know how good Minnie vans are when it is that busy. I would say, any other week, yes give AoA a try, that particular week I would say no.

Hi!

So in this will be our 4th Disney trip. We’ve only stayed at GF or Beach Club. My husband can’t come with to this next trip so it will just be me and DDs ages 9 and 7. We can save tons of money if we stay at AoA vs a deluxe, but just wondering if it will feel like a let down?? I figure with the money we save we can use Minnie Vans if buses are crowded. (This will be during the Christmas season). What are everyone’s thoughts?
Just want to warn you: Minnie Vans are difficult and often impossible to get when the buses are crowded, especially from MK at night. Especially during busy season.

However, you should try the cheaper hotels once. You never know how disappointed you will feel until you try. Everybody is different in this regard. You may be disappointed, or you may not feel any difference, or you may be disappointed at first but fall in love with AofA after a day! And if you do, imagine the savings that will provide for future trips! You know, give a guy a chance!

I've stayed at GF club level, BC, and Pop (right next to AofA, basically the same hotel), though mostly Pop. Here are the benefits of Pop over GF:

1. From MK (and other parks), we can catch either AofA bus or Pop bus back, cutting the wait time by half when the bus lines are short. When the lines are long this trick doesn't work.
2. Pop and AofA each has their own dedicated buses, whereas MK shares a bus with the Poly at times, like from DHS even at night when it's crowded. My DS12 got upset when he realized that we had to share a bus, being that he was used to dedicated buses. (But maybe they won't do that after SWGE opens in August.)
3. Pop and AofA will have the gondola by Christmas! Imagine your kids getting a kick out of that! And you won't have to worry about the heat in the gondola in winter!
4. Pop and AofA get to Epcot in about 15 minutes on the bus or the gondola. GF takes 3 times that long on the monorail, and then you have to change monorail going up and down the ramp.
5. Pop and AofA takes 10 minutes to Animal Kingdom, 10 minutes to DHS, 15 minutes to DS on the bus. GF takes much longer for each being that it's farther away from those locations. GF is only close to MK. Everything else is a long haul.
6. Pop has all refurbished rooms with murphy beds that you pull up and down the wall. They are queen beds with new mattresses, so just as comfy as regular beds. My kids think that the bed in the wall is magical! AofA also has murphy beds.
7. Pop has shower doors. (I don't like that, but it's fancier than the shower curtains at GF.) There's also a big shower head that's much bigger than the one in GF.
8. Pop has giant yoyos (and other stuff) that encases the outside staircase. My kids love running up and down the stairs "in the yoyo."
9. Pop has giant Mickey and other statues that screams "Disney magic!" I enjoy the luxury feeling of GF, but the overwhelmingly Disney feeling in Pop feels just as wonderful, maybe more so!
10. You have 2 food courts to pick from, so a large variety of quick service food. Just walk across the bridge (5 minutes) and you get to the other food court. The Hourglass lake is gorgeous, better than the Seven Sea Lagoon outside GF, because the lake is small and often glassy so you can see reflections of the other side.
11 Most rooms in Pop are much closer to the main building/bus stops than the buildings in GF.
12. Pop/AofA doesn't have a ton of visitors coming to eat at the 3 sit down restaurants or just milling around the lobby. Though there might be more visitors once the gondola opens.
13. Pop/AofA each has a large video arcade. GF has a tiny little pathetic thing.
14. Pop has weird shaped pools: one looks like a flower petal and the other one a bowling pin. AofA has a very themed pool with statues and music in the water (I believe). A lot of kids love it.
15. You can watch the fireworks at DHS (very close) from certain buildings and rooms of Pop/AofA, and don't have to pay extra.
16. You will have fairly easy, quick access via gondola to the Boardwalk area, the new Rivera Resort, and Caribbean Beach resort to eat at their restaurants.

Pop/AofA has the same basic amenities as GF: free DME, bell service, maid service, impeccable and spotless grounds, queen size beds, frequent elevators. Last summer my baby threw up in bed in the middle of the night at Pop. I called and they sent two maids with a full cart to help me clean.

Here are the benefits Pop has over BC:

1. No long walks in hallways to get to your room where you get to see countless doors. I prefer the Pop hallways which are just walking balconies, completely open with fresh air and scenery, but still covered on top to protect against sun/rain.
2-6. Reasons 6-10 above. Mostly importantly, there is plentiful food selection and seating in Pop/AofA food courts. There are 2 tables total at BC inside. Otherwise you have to eat outside. AofA food court uses real plates and silverware, not paper and plastic.
7. Reason 3 above: gondolas! Of course, you can walk to Epcot to take the gondola.
8. you can get to DHS and back faster. That boat is so slow that it drives me crazy, and at park closing, the line to the boat for 5 hotels is often much worse than the lines to the dedicated buses. And of course, now there's the gondola! Though you can also take the gondola in DHS to Epcot and then walk back, but that's more round about and takes longer, requiring a transfer and more walking.
9. Pop/AofA has more space and fewer visitors. Beach Club feels small and crammed with tons of visitors to eat at Cap May or whatever. Pop/AofA has plenty of people, but the lobby and other areas are much bigger and don't feel so crowded.

I should add that it’s a 3 night trip and our main goal is to see everything Christmasy because we’ve never gone at Christmas time! Probably one day at Epcot, one at MVMCP. Haven’t figured out the rest yet!
I second the suggestion to check out Wilderness Lodge. And it is gorgeous at Christmas!

We can save tons of money if we stay at AoA vs a deluxe, but just wondering if it will feel like a let down??
I think if you are in the mindset of looking to make the most of the resort you will be fine staying at AoA. If you will be constantly thinking and comparing to GF then yes you will be disappoints.

If your plan is to utilize the savings for special things to do during the trip then it might help you see staying there as a positive. I would put some of that savings towards the frozen dessert party - we loved that party and thought it was amazing to be in Epcot after the park had closed and most of the guest had already left. Look into other special things you can do.

If jumping from a deluxe to a value is too much then i would consider CB resort or one of the port orleans - probably would still provide a savings but is a little step up from a value.

I have never stayed at the Grand Floridian, but I have stayed at the Polynesian twice and Coronado Springs years ago. I have never stayed at a value or Art of Animation. Coronado Springs was okay, but it pales in comparison to The Grand Floridian and other Deluxe resorts. The resort is very spread out. The new tower does look nice, but if you are only going for 3 days, an argument for a Deluxe resort would be to maximize your time there. I’m sure using the Minivans would save time, but for ages 9 & 7, I would say to stay Deluxe if you can swing it, so you can be closer to the Magic Kingdom. I’ve never been to Disney st Christmas, but have heard the monorail resorts, especially The Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Floridian are gorgeous all decorated at Christmas.

That said, I do agree that the cost is high for those resorts and certainly understand why you might want to save money to use elsewhere.

I have never stayed at POFQ, but have heard great things about it. The nice thing is, by staying here, you can take the boat to Disney Springs, which I’m sure will have wonderful decorations for Christmas.

Good luck with your decision. I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time regardless of where you stay!

Many stays at deluxe (gf 10 times). Often I even do CL . However I loved myAoA suite!

I enjoyed the room, the grounds and transportation.

I didn’t care for AoA food but a short walk over the bridge and Pop has all different food there.

When I do mods/values I just do more fun things at the parks. There are so many options !

I think you’ll be glad you saved $ and will have a great time.

We have only stayed deluxe and spent one night at POFQ before a cruise and were very disappointed. We didn’t like the outdoor entry to the room and the shape of the room. It had more of a motel feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter