• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian or Contemporary Garden Wing? (or BWV)

appledown

Earning My Ears
My daughter (14) and I are taking a trip to WDW May 27th - June 1st as a "do over" from a trip that was cancelled last August. I'm a little dreading the Memorial Day crowd, but it's our only option until 2022. Our usual resort is POFQ, but since it's unavailable we have to branch out. We've also previously stayed at AKL, GF, and ASMo. Right now we have a choice between the following:
  • GF Lagoon View
  • CR Garden Wing
  • BWV 1 bedroom villa
I'm leaning toward GF but here's my current pro/con list:
  • GF - proximity to MK, compactness of resort (one of the main reasons we love POFQ), we can see the EWP from the lagoon view room. And well, it's the Grand Floridian and we loved it last time we stayed there 10 years ago.
  • CR - we've always wanted to stay at the CR and haven't yet, but the main tower isn't available and from what I've read, not everyone thinks Garden Wing is equivalent. CR is $100/night cheaper than the other 2, but the cost difference isn't a huge factor.
  • BWV (same price as GF) - Extra space, laundry, and kitchen is a plus. Mostly the laundry because I expect to need to do at least 1 load mid-trip. I expect we'll be spending quite a bit of time at the pools on mid-day breaks from the parks, and my daughter thought Luna Park looked cool, but I'm anticipating availability issues. Epcot and HS aren't our top parks (MK for me and AK for her), but the Boardwalk could be great if the parks are crowded. I'm also worried about how comfortable the pull out couch will be for her.
I'm just having trouble making a decision and would love to hear what others think. Thanks!

Last edited:
Just to confirm - is it BWV or BCV? I know you mentioned Stormalong Bay, which is the pool at BCV. Space at the 1 bedroom villas is amazing, and being able to walk to two parks is really a great perk. I also love the boardwalk area.

My daughter (14) and I are taking a trip to WDW May 27th - June 1st as a "do over" from a trip that was cancelled last August. I'm a little dreading the Memorial Day crowd, but it's our only option until 2022. Our usual resort is POFQ, but since it's unavailable we have to branch out. We've also previously stayed at AKL, GF, and ASMo. Right now we have a choice between the following:
  • GF Lagoon View
  • CR Garden Wing
  • BWV 1 bedroom villa
I'm leaning toward GF but here's my current pro/con list:
  • GF - proximity to MK, compactness of resort (one of the main reasons we love POFQ), we can see the EWP from the lagoon view room. And well, it's the Grand Floridian and we loved it last time we stayed there 10 years ago.
  • CR - we've always wanted to stay at the CR and haven't yet, but the main tower isn't available and from what I've read, not everyone thinks Garden Wing is equivalent. CR is $100/night cheaper than the other 2, but the cost difference isn't a huge factor.
  • BWV (same price as GF) - Extra space, laundry, and kitchen is a plus. Mostly the laundry because I expect to need to do at least 1 load mid-trip. I expect we'll be spending quite a bit of time at the pools on mid-day breaks from the parks, and Stormalong Bay is a huge draw but I'm anticipating availability issues. Epcot and HS aren't our top parks (MK for me and AK for her), but the Boardwalk could be great if the parks are crowded. I'm also worried about how comfortable the pull out couch will be for her.
I'm just having trouble making a decision and would love to hear what others think. Thanks!

Based on your description, my vote would be GF. We like the CR garden wing rooms, due to walking distance to MK, but now that GF has the walking path, that perk is not exclusive to CR anymore. As an overall resort, GF beats CR, IMHO. As PP noted, BWV does not have access to Stormalong Bay. That being said, we really like the pool at BWV and think the slide is one of the best on-property. We love the EP DVC resorts, however, those pull-out beds are not comfortable. If DHS and EP are not your top parks, I would probably cross BWV off your list for this trip. Plus, there isn't a ton going on at the Boardwalk at this time. I would do GF. If the parks are crowded, you could always walk to Poly, take a monorail ride, boat or monorail to MK and then boat to WL or Ft. W for a change of scenery.

Just to confirm - is it BWV or BCV? I know you mentioned Stormalong Bay, which is the pool at BCV. Space at the 1 bedroom villas is amazing, and being able to walk to two parks is really a great perk. I also love the boardwalk area.

Thanks for that catch! It is Boardwalk not Beach Club. Beach Club was in the mix for a while, but was way more expensive. I'll correct that!

Sorry everyone! We had also been looking at BCV which is why I had Stormalong Bay on the brain. Should have said Luna Park. I edited the original to fix it.

I honestly loved having laundry when we stayed in a 1 bedroom villa. With AK being one of your top parks, you are stuck with the bus regardless, but if you aren't planning on Epcot or DHS, CR and GF are of course much more convenient to MK. I love walking around the boardwalk area. Ice cream at Beaches and Cream is great, and it is just such a pretty area. The skyliner would be nice just for a ride. I have only stayed in the tower at CR so far, but will be in the garden wing soon for the first time and don't think of it as a downgrade at all, just more peaceful. I loved the tower but I am looking forward to this, too. And GF is, of course, lovely. I don't think you can go wrong. They are just all different. :)

I think Grand Floridian would be perfect. We just stayed there last week and the walkway to Magic Kingdom is a game changer. It is so easy to walk there now. :)

As far as AK goes, you need to take a bus no matter which park you stay at and the bus from GF to AK was fine. :)

My vote would be GF under current situation with all the covid stuff. Under normal circumstances we love all 3, but having stayed at all the resorts since reopening I can say that Boardwalk, Poly and CR are probably at the bottom of the list of on-property hotels for us.

Boardwalk just feels empty compared to the normal way it feels. We couldn't get the feeling of missing the pre-covid Boardwalk out of our brains the whole time we were there.

CR can be a royal pain in the rear end to get up and down the elevators to food/bars and shopping...plus the garden wing to us is just ehh.

GF tho was a good time...with great pool areas, great atmosphere, and incredible views.

Im not sure anyone every described GF as "compact" but that would still be my choice out of your list of options :)

1. Better Pools
  2. Arguably better food choices
  3. Walk to Disney(Contemp shares that)
  4. Quick walk to Poly
  5. Beautiful resort and ground
Laundry is a big deal for us too, but if its just one load for the whole trip a quick walk to the shared laundry facilities wont be a big deal.

Scrap all of this and choose BWV if you are planning on visiting Epcot A LOT and don't care about pools.

CR - we've always wanted to stay at the CR and haven't yet, but the main tower isn't available and from what I've read, not everyone thinks Garden Wing is equivalent. CR is $100/night cheaper than the other 2, but the cost difference isn't a huge factor.
The Garden Wing at the CR needs the same update that they have already start on the TPV rooms in the tower. Your biggest issue with the CR may be the 2 basic pools vs Luna Park keister coaster water slide (now clown-less) if you enjoy that.

CR and GF are very walk-able now to the MK to that is a Plus for GF and their pools are a good step up from CR.

My person vote would be the 1BR at BWV. Kitchen, laundry, great pool plenty room to spread out and you each have your own TVs. Lot's of dining options around Crescent Lake ( S&D, YC / BC, Epcot). You could even catch the Skliner to the Rivera to check out their dinning options.

Dave

If you like the laundry and kitchen options, have you looked into the DVC rooms at Bay Lake Tower and Grand Floridian? If you are planning to spend time at the resort for pool/dining/avoiding the crowds I would definitely take a look at the other pool and dining options.

Of the three options, I think I would go with GF. Like others said, if you are not focusing on Epcot and HS than Boardwalk might not be the best option. Besides, with Covid I heard a lot of the stuff on the Boardwalk is closed, making it not a great option for exploring. I personally think Contemporary has the most lackluster pools, and they are relatively small which might be an issue during a crowded, hot time of the year. I know some people think GF is fancy and stuffy but personally I love the theme and would love to stay there one day.

Just a thought, if you are looking for a fun parent/daughter activity outside of the parks, check out the afternoon tea at the GF. I did it once with a group of friends and it was really great. It's a nice excuse to dress up a little (just a sundress is fine) and relax while drinking tea and eating sandwiches and pastries.

GF or BWV both get my vote... BW is my favorite resort. I love all the whole Cresent Lake area... I truly feel home when I'm there. When it's not COVID the BW is fun just to walk around, also, it's so convenient to IG at EP to sneak in the back for a breakfast in France, or dinner anywhere in WS after touring another park all day.

With all that said, if most of my time I plan on being at MK then GF would be my top choice... walking to ANY resort from a park is a game-changer.

if you are looking for a fun parent/daughter activity outside of the parks, check out the afternoon tea at the GF. I did it once with a group of friends and it was really great. It's a nice excuse to dress up a little (just a sundress is fine) and relax while drinking tea and eating sandwiches and pastries.

That sounds like so much fun! But I looked it up and it's still temporarily unavailable. Next time, maybe!

Based on your original post, it sounds like you have already decided on the Grand Floridian and just need a little convincing. ;)

I think you're on to something! My gut is saying GF, and I think that's probably where we'll end up. But I appreciate all of the insight into BWV and am definitely putting that on the list for a future visit.

Contemporary is such a unique resort. The location, (GF walkway is great too) has probably the most prime location at WDW. Unfortunately, unless a TP view is available, I would never encourage this resort for the price point... especially the garden wing “annex”. It’s just not even remotely on the same level as a tower room. The view from the 12th floor rooms of MK resorts, castle, space mountain, and various Disney transportation cannot be beat. Take away that though, and you have a mediocre pool, crammed 4th floor due to Covid distancing and The 1st floor (main lobby) easily has the least welcoming/“Disney feel” among every deluxe resort on property.

GF would be my vote.

I would also recommend GF. It would be perfect for you and your daughter. We also loved POFQ and have stayed at GF. GF is beautiful and has the same feeling of everything you could want being right there. I think you would be disappointed with a garden room at CR.

Last edited:
You'd be more likely to have a nicer experience at GF than a garden wing room. But it does depend on the room, parking lot view in the garden wing I could see being kind of depressing. Ground floor facing bay lake however...

IMG_20210225_084730669.jpg

It's pretty quiet on that side, but a walk. Just depends what you want in a room.

My gut is saying GF, and I think that's probably where we'll end up. But I appreciate all of the insight into BWV and am definitely putting that on the list for a future visit.
We've stayed at the Grand Floridian several times, at the Boardwalk many times.

They are two different experiences.

IMO, despite being on the Monorail, GF feels more self-contained. Yes, you can easily Monorail or walk to the Poly or Magic Kingdom, you're comfortable just hanging out at the GF.

The Boardwalk Inn is on Crescent Lake and within walking distance of two theme parks and four other hotels. Plus there's the appeal of the Boardwalk itself, which is a micro version of Disney Springs. In normal times, the Boardwalk usually is hopping at night. Plus the other hotels seem so close, you are drawn into exploring them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter