Grand Floridian Cafe question

Jays2013

DIS Veteran
I just booked an ADR for dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe for our Oct./Nov. trip.

We're finally getting my folks back to WDW after an absolutely stressful and crappy year for them, and I'm trying to make the trip as special as I possibly can. My mom is fascinated with the Grand Floridian and has always wanted to stay there. Now, I can't swing that, but I thought dinner there would give her a chance to see it.

Here's the thing, though. Aside from her, my family doesn't really do "fancy" well. Especially my dad. :D From what I can see, GFC is very nice but still an OK place for a casual family with two little boys. (They are well-behaved.) And not somewhere Dad will feel uncomfortable because he perceives it as "too fancy." Do you think I'm correct in that assessment? Any thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:
I just booked an ADR for dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe for our Oct./Nov. trip.

We're finally getting my folks back to WDW after an absolutely stressful and crappy for them, and I'm trying to make the trip as special as I possibly can. My mom is fascinated with the Grand Floridian and has always wanted to stay there. Now, I can't swing that, but I thought dinner there would give her a chance to see it.

Here's the thing, though. Aside from her, my family doesn't really do "fancy" well. Especially my dad. :D From what I can see, GFC is very nice but still an OK place for a casual family with two little boys. (They are well-behaved.) And not somewhere Dad will feel uncomfortable because he perceives it as "too fancy." Do you think I'm correct in that assessment? Any thoughts appreciated!

All of GF has a "frilly" Victorian look to it, but GFC is the casual TS restaurant there and isn't fancy they way Narcoosee's or Citrico's might be. You probably won't see people dressed up there (people will most likely be wearing "park" clothes, shorts, t-shirts, etc.). There will be lots of families with young children. If you have eaten at other casual resort restaurants in WDW (the Wave, Kona, Capt. Grille, etc.) it's really the same concept. If you still feel like that might be too fancy for him, you could still have a really nice visit to GF and simply eat at Gasparilla's QS. The food is good and you can even eat outside by the marina.

We have only eaten at GFC once, but it was an exceptional meal. It is a nice sit down, but not fancy and not crazy like a character meal. I had a fantastic steak there.

You will be totally fine dining casually. I stay there annually, and the atmosphere doe not seem stuffy to me at all. Very laid back. I've even seen people dine in park attire in the more expensive places. GF Cafe's breakfast is excellent....highly recommend it!

Excellent! Thanks, everyone. That should be fine. I have a tendency to overthink things. ;)

If your family doesn't do "fancy", don't do the Grand Floridian Tea. DH isn't a "fancy" person either, so I don't know what possessed me to make an ADR here. He looked so uncomfortable the whole time-think "Tim the Tool Man does the GF Tea" that I had a hard time not laughing.

Wonderful place to eat, She will feel very special and he will fit right in. Enjoy. I'm going there in December myself

We love the GFC! It's a great casual meal in a gorgeous restaurant/hotel setting. One of our fave meals of the trip too! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter