Grand Cayman Tendering Questions

Love2Cruise2015

DIS Veteran
I was wondering how the process works for the tendering process from the cruise ship to shore for those people who haven't booked an excursion with Disney but just want to see the island (we are thinking of going to the beach for a day)? How many people does the boat fit? What is the boat like that they use? How much time should we give to get back to the cruise ship if we go out on our own? What is the process like for getting back on the cruise ship? (Sorry so many questions but this is the first time my family and I have decided to not do a Disney excursion on an island so I am trying to get as much info as I can)

We had an excursion but not booked through Disney. There will be a time and location designated for tender the day before. Be there at least 15 min early. They gave us "tickets" to get onto the tender boat which is really like a ferry. It's pretty big and held at least 75 people if I remember correctly. You cannot bring fruit on the island. Just a warning. They collected a many banana that morning from guest who wanted to bring a snack.
To get back on board, the ferries come like every 20 min or so to the same dock they drop you off. Just get in line for the next available ferry. You need your KTTW card to get onto the tender boat leaving or going back. So make sure you have those with you.
It took about 10 min to get to and from the ship to the island and back. They will give you a time for the final tender boat. Be back at the dock at least 15/20 before if you want to wait until the last boat. It will be crowded.
We tendered off on the first available ferry in the am and came back about 2 pm. Never felt rushed as there is more than one tender boat (I think there were 3 running if I remember correctly).
Just a side note. We went to GC on a Sunday. It is a very Catholic island that still adheres to most things being closed on Sunday. Yes, some things were open but they were few and far between. Of course the beaches will be there but if you dock on a Sundy, you will have limited things to do.

Enjoy. We loved GC and can't wait to get back there.

We had an excursion but not booked through Disney. There will be a time and location designated for tender the day before. Be there at least 15 min early. They gave us "tickets" to get onto the tender boat which is really like a ferry. It's pretty big and held at least 75 people if I remember correctly. You cannot bring fruit on the island. Just a warning. They collected a many banana that morning from guest who wanted to bring a snack.
To get back on board, the ferries come like every 20 min or so to the same dock they drop you off. Just get in line for the next available ferry. You need your KTTW card to get onto the tender boat leaving or going back. So make sure you have those with you.
It took about 10 min to get to and from the ship to the island and back. They will give you a time for the final tender boat. Be back at the dock at least 15/20 before if you want to wait until the last boat. It will be crowded.
We tendered off on the first available ferry in the am and came back about 2 pm. Never felt rushed as there is more than one tender boat (I think there were 3 running if I remember correctly).
Just a side note. We went to GC on a Sunday. It is a very Catholic island that still adheres to most things being closed on Sunday. Yes, some things were open but they were few and far between. Of course the beaches will be there but if you dock on a Sundy, you will have limited things to do.

Enjoy. We loved GC and can't wait to get back there.
Thank you so much that was very helpful :)

Is tendering wheelchair accessible?

It can depend on the port and conditions. I've seen it where it is, and I've seen it where the person has to walk on and off the tender boat. (I've not been to GC, but I've been on cruises where tendering happened and have seen it both ways. And once it even changed from fully accessible to must transfer based on conditions - not sure what would have happened if someone had gone ashore when it was fully accessible and then it changed.)

It can depend on the port and conditions. I've seen it where it is, and I've seen it where the person has to walk on and off the tender boat. (I've not been to GC, but I've been on cruises where tendering happened and have seen it both ways. And once it even changed from fully accessible to must transfer based on conditions - not sure what would have happened if someone had gone ashore when it was fully accessible and then it changed.)
Typically (on all the cruise lines we've tendered on), handicapped access to tenders require that the person must be able to maneuver somewhat with assistance (out of the chair) onto and off the tender. They will then collapse the wheelchair and transport it, while the person sits on one of the tender seats.
Not a very good picture, but a tender is basically a small boat with a loading platform that you step onto from the ship, then go down a couple of steps to the seats (forward and aft)

755 100_3941 1500.jpg

Unlike other cruiselines which use some of their lifeboats as tenders, DCL requires the use of tenders supplied by the port.

Be prepared for long waits if you plan on disembarking shortly after all ashore time... I've been 3 times to GC of which the last two were past October and past November. On my October cruise it took 4 tenders (close to an hour before getting on it; an hour between being at the theatre and being in the actual port) before it was my turn. You have to go to the theatre and stay seated until they call your tender. There was people in my tendergroup who had a non Disney excursion who kept telling the CM about it, but since it was none disney they had to wait their turn and ended up missing their excursion.
In November I had quite a wait too (can't remember exactly but I would say about half an hour) but not as extreme as October... So if you make any scheduled plans, give yourself enough time!

Typically (on all the cruise lines we've tendered on), handicapped access to tenders require that the person must be able to maneuver somewhat with assistance (out of the chair) onto and off the tender. They will then collapse the wheelchair and transport it, while the person sits on one of the tender seats.
Not a very good picture, but a tender is basically a small boat with a loading platform that you step onto from the ship, then go down a couple of steps to the seats (forward and aft)

View attachment 309998

Unlike other cruiselines which use some of their lifeboats as tenders, DCL requires the use of tenders supplied by the port.

We got conflicting information. Called DCL prior to our cruise, spoke with a supervisor and she assured me that my mom (who would need the scooter on Grand Caymen but can also walk on her own), can have the scooter go on the tender (with her not in it). Once we boarded, guest relations was adamant that it was not allowed. Took a couple of hours of working with the supervisors there to finally let her take the scooter. Was my first disappointment with DCL. They were not too nice to deal with at Guest Relations desk. Never had that before. So I’m going to agree with the above posters that it can probably be done but nothing is guaranteed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter