Grand Cayman Non-Disney Private Excursion

baranotm

Earning My Ears
All the excursions to Starfish Beach and Stingray City were full the day that I was able to book through Disney, so now we're looking into private tours. After reading this site, I saw several recommendations for companies. We're thinking of Cobalt Custom Charters. Has anyone had recent experience with them after the Covid restrictions were lifted? Was it easy to leave the ship and return on time? What about tipping? Do they take USD? What about food options on private tours? Is it safe to book through outside companies This would be our first time not booking an excursion through Disney. We would appreciate any assistance to alleviate my fears. Thanks.

I can't speak to that company, but we booked through Stingray City and they were great!

A lot of the big tour companies in port towns are used to dealing with cruise passengers, so while you lose the 100% guarantee that the ship won't leave without you, you're still in good hands.

That said, however, this tour was listed at 3.5 hours and definitely lasted longer than that. It was supposed to leave at 12, which would mean getting back to port at 3:30...but we really didn't get back until something like 4/4:30. So, just enough time to not miss the last tender, but not enough time to make the 4:30 pirate makeover we had booked.

US $ is widely (and greatly) accepted in any port city you visit, so don't worry about getting anything converted. We tend to not carry cash most places, but you definitely get a better price on things in port if you pay with cash vs. card.

As for food, the tour listing should hopefully mention if food is provided or not. We just wound up taking some boxes of cereal from Cabanas and some other (factory sealed!) snacks with us.

We used Cayman Luxury Charters and they also left out of Camana Bay. We booked the half day trip (9AM - 1PM) on the Sea Star. We were off the ship around 8:30 and caught a taxi for $6pp to Camana. It was only about a 10 minute cab ride and we were at the dock around 8:45 and the boat was waiting on us. We got back to the dock a little before 1:00 and the captain called a taxi to pick us up. We were back on the boat and eating lunch before 2:00. This charter provided drinks but you had the option to bring your own food. We just brought a few snacks for the kids. We tipped in USD and it wasn't a problem.

Overall, it was a great day and I would do a private charter again without hesitation. It was cheaper than booking the private charter thru Disney and it was nice having the boat for just our group.

Hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter