Grand Canyon North Rim lodging

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
We want to stay at the Grand Canyon Lodge on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I called today to make reservations for NEXT SUMMER -- July 2009. They just "opened the books" two weeks ago, and I was shocked to learn that my choices are already limited!

What I wanted (I think): A western cabin, the nicest ones they have, with a rim view
What I was able to reserve: A western cabin with a standard view

Now I'm second-guessing myself.

The western cabins are newer and nicer than the older pioneer and frontier cabins . . . but the pioneer cabins are two rooms and showers-only, while the western cabins have two beds in one room. If I"m not going to have a view anyway and a lovely porch overlooking the canyon, should I go for more space in the more basic pioneer cabin? (We do have two girls, ages 12 and 15, so the space'll be nice.) The pioneer cabin's about $30/night cheaper.

And the hotel rooms in the lodge itself are an option, though we'd have to have two rooms for our family of four.

We like to stay in nice places, but we aren't so spoiled that a basic room'll ruin our trip. I do want it to be clean and safe. We'll only be there two nights.

Or should I go down the road to the Kaibab Lodge and save a few dollars?

Those of you who've been there, what would you do?

I am a fan of staying in parks when at NPs - with a few exceptions, but this isn't one of them. Kaibab Lodge is only @15 minutes from the park gate, but the park gate is a distance from the rim (I hesitate to guess . . . our trip was a few years back). You might want to check the website and map to see whether the drive would be more than you want to do.

If you can't get the view, then I would opt for the extra space. Ias far as accommodations go, IIRC the Westerns only had showers. I didn't know there were rooms in the lodge - thought it was just dining. As your options are limited, find out how far out you can make dinner ressies.

How long will you be there and where else are you visiting? Lots of tips/opinions.

I am a fan of staying in parks when at NPs - with a few exceptions, but this isn't one of them. Kaibab Lodge is only @15 minutes from the park gate, but the park gate is a distance from the rim (I hesitate to guess . . . our trip was a few years back). You might want to check the website and map to see whether the drive would be more than you want to do.

If you can't get the view, then I would opt for the extra space. Ias far as accommodations go, IIRC the Westerns only had showers. I didn't know there were rooms in the lodge - thought it was just dining. As your options are limited, find out how far out you can make dinner ressies.

How long will you be there and where else are you visiting? Lots of tips/opinions.
I've decided I'm going for the extra space. My girls aren't exactly enthusiastic hikers, and I think they'll appreciate being able to spread out a bit in the evenings. Yep, I'm going to call tomorrow and make the change while it's still available.

I tried to figure out from the website how far Kaibab is from the park, but you never quite know what to trust on websites -- after all, they're trying to sell you something!

We're doing a cross-country driving trip, and we expect to be in the Grand Canyon area 3 days/2 nights. We'll be at Mesa Verde National Park and Arches National Park just before this stop, and we'll be heading to Las Vegas afterward. After Vegas we'll head to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, then on to Mt. Rushmore.

Any opinions and tips would be much appreciated! THANKS!

Are you planning on Zion and Bryce? If so, have I got tips.

I love Yellowstone spend as many days as you can there - even at the cost of shortening Grand Tetons. Stay in the park - more than one location! The park is huge, must be the size of NJ!:cool1: Wander around here - http://www.yellowstone.net/forums/index.php?sid=24767e38b1ff91c3c3a8d4fd19680a47

We fly into and out of Las Vegas (cheaper airfare) and then hit Nat'l Parks . . . it isn't a very family friendly place . . . it's a place I would shorten or skip to do Zion and Bryce.

If you have the time while you are in the Moab/Arches area, I HIGHLY recommend doing a guided canyoneering tour with Desert Highlights (you can google them). We did a driving vacation of all of the Utah parks and the North Rim (this actually was a separate trip from the infamous Mule Ride trip - ha ha) in 2004 and our canyoneering trip in Arches was BY FAR the highlight of the trip - and that is saying a lot because it was a fantastic trip from start to finish. They have half-day and full-day trips through the Fiery Furnace area of Arches - you have to have a special permit to go in there because it's easy to get lost/stuck if you don't know what you're doing.

None of us had any climbing experience whatsoever, but we got to do some very basic climbing and even rappelling - it was a total blast! I really cannot say enough great things about it - I would love to go back and do it again (definitely not a "been there, done that" thing like the mule ride was ...)

I agree with the previous poster - stay as many days in Yellowstone as possible, even if it means shortening something else. It will be crowded, but you don't have to get very far off the beaten track to leave the people behind. And you will NEVER see as much wildlife anywhere else as you will see in Yellowstone!

The Tetons are beautiful, but if your daughters aren't enthusiastic hikers, a day there will suffice.

Are you planning on Zion and Bryce? If so, have I got tips.

I love Yellowstone spend as many days as you can there - even at the cost of shortening Grand Tetons. Stay in the park - more than one location! The park is huge, must be the size of NJ!:cool1: Wander around here - http://www.yellowstone.net/forums/index.php?sid=24767e38b1ff91c3c3a8d4fd19680a47

We fly into and out of Las Vegas (cheaper airfare) and then hit Nat'l Parks . . . it isn't a very family friendly place . . . it's a place I would shorten or skip to do Zion and Bryce.
No stops to Zion or Bryce on this trip. Thanks anyway.

Yes, we're going to spend several days in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I've been there before, and while I loved both, I liked Grand Tetons more and saw more wildlife there -- also, Grand Tetons was less crowded when I was there. I suppose it's somewhat luck of the draw. Neither DH nor the girls have been to either one, so we're very excited about those stops.

We are going to spend a couple days in Vegas, though I agree that it isn't the most family-friendly place. We're doing a one-month driving trip, and Vegas'll be the half-way point for us. We're pushing ourselves pretty hard most days, and Vegas'll be our rest-days. We have a two-bedroom timeshare, so it's going to be a time to sleep late, catch up on laundry, and lay out by the pool.
If you have the time while you are in the Moab/Arches area, I HIGHLY recommend doing a guided canyoneering tour with Desert Highlights (you can google them).
I absolutely cannot wait for Arches and Mesa Verde National Parks. I'll google the tour you recommended in a moment.

Thanks to all!

We've done the cross country trip 6 times and have visited the places you are going to visit. When visiting Mt. Rushmore, be sure to visit Deadwood, Wind Cave and the Badlands. I love that area of the country and Devil's Tower is on the way from Yellowstone. I also love Red Lodge and Beartooth Mountain Pass going north from Yellowstone. There are so many places to see along the way. I, too, love the Tetons more than Yellowstone, although on various trips stayed longer on Tetons sometimes and longer in Yellowstone on others. Rocky Mountain NP is also a favorite of mine. It's one I visited on all but one of the trips. When you visit Las Vegas, try to see the London Bridge in AZ. I could go on and on. Any tips on planning, I am a planner, or places along the way, please feel free to ask. I get all the free information from the various states we will pass through as well as small towns to compile a binder for use during the trip. I also request info from National Parks we will visit. Have a great time planning your trip. I wish I were going!

If you have the time while you are in the Moab/Arches area, I HIGHLY recommend doing a guided canyoneering tour with Desert Highlights (you can google them).
WOW! What a great website. We are sooooo going to have to do one of these tours. My youngest daughter (who will be 12 next summer for this trip) is a complete chicken, so we'll probably do one of the more basic tours -- and a half-day tour, at that! I think I like the Dragonfly Canyon tour for us.

Which one did you do?

And thanks!
When visiting Mt. Rushmore, be sure to visit Deadwood, Wind Cave and the Badlands. I love that area of the country and Devil's Tower is on the way from Yellowstone.
Wind Cave and Jewel Cave are both right there in the same area -- we probably wouldn't do both. Any advice on which is better?
When you visit Las Vegas, try to see the London Bridge in AZ. I could go on and on.
Where in Vegas is this located?
Any tips on planning, I am a planner, or places along the way, please feel free to ask. I get all the free information from the various states we will pass through as well as small towns to compile a binder for use during the trip. I also request info from National Parks we will visit. Have a great time planning your trip. I wish I were going!
Planning is almost as much fun as going!

And thanks!Wind Cave and Jewel Cave are both right there in the same area -- we probably wouldn't do both. Any advice on which is better? Where in Vegas is this located? Planning is almost as much fun as going!

I too love the Rushmore area! I have done the Jewel Cave tour and thought it was a great cave. I was in a cave sort of mood and headed over to do the Wind cave tour as well but had missed the last tour of the day.....although there might have been an evening one that I didn't have time to wait for. So I can't compare but did enjoy Jewel. :thumbsup2

The Crazy Horse Monument is also great - I would highly recommend it and you get to see a monument in the making.

And thanks!Wind Cave and Jewel Cave are both right there in the same area -- we probably wouldn't do both. Any advice on which is better?

I haven't visited Jewel Cave yet. Wind Cave is a box type cave and I think a constant 46 degrees. Nice and cool on a hot day. It was interesting to walk through and there is a small opening where the wind actually comes out. The park itself is quite large, not just the cave. There is hiking and many buffalo.

Where in Vegas is this located?

London Bridge is not in Las Vegas but just south in Lake Havasau (sp?) It is the actual London Bridge that was put together like a puzzle when purchased in the 1960s by the town. It's just a nice stopping point of interest.

Planning is almost as much fun as going!
Yes, and it actually takes much more time than the actual trip!!

Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter