Grand Canyon, June 25 or July 3??

carj

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone, I am hoping that you all might have some advice for me.

We are driving from Texas to DLR. We have planned stops near Williams AZ or Flagstaff on June 25 and July 3. We would like to visit the Grand Canyon but I have a couple of questions.

Which date would be better? I am thinking June 25 because of Independence Day. July 3 really works better with our driving schedule though.

How long should we plan to visit with an 8 year old and a 5 year old? Would a half a day okay to see a little bit? I do know that a half a day isn't enough to do much. I guess my question is, would a half day be enough to see anything, or will it be wasted with just traveling, parking, etc...

I would really appreciate any advice or tips that you can offer. I have been to the Grand Canyon, but my husband and kids haven't. My husband doesn't want to miss the opportunity to see it since we will be so close. While I agree, I am worried that it will be frustrating to have so little time.

Just be warned trying to get into GC near July 4th can take several hours! We saw such a queue when we took a helicopter tour over the GC, the queue went all the way back to the airport at Tusayan. I would go with June 25th.

Claire ;)

I think that you are right! We will go with the 25th! Thanks for the input!:goodvibes

We'll be at the Grand Canyon (North Rim) July 3-4. Okay, I know that doesn't sway your decision in the least, but I'm excited about it!

Not sure about the dates, we went in February, you may be okay if you go early, just now sure how possible this will be with little ones June 25 may be a better option.

Although with children that young, a half day will be fine. If you travel east towards desert view on the south rim, you will find many places to stop that don't seem to be as crowded as the main view point by the info center.

You may also want to consider the Grand Canyon Railway, it leaves from Williams and takes you up to the Grand Canyon. I have never done it, but I have heard it was nice.

The GC Railway is nice. No driving or waiting in lines to get through the gate. For those of you driving, I recommend the east gate. It seems to have fewer people entering there. You come in at the Watchtower and then it is about 25 miles to the Village. Back to the railway...With the age of your kids, I would recommend this. You have about 3 hours at the rim to look around. It is a full day trip though, but driving in the summer would be a full day trip anyway. Might as well let the train take you. It is a little pricey, but how much would you spend on gas and tums to find a parking place in the Village? Just my 2 cents. My kids greatly enjoyed the train trip complete with robbers. Really a lot of fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter