Grand Californian vs Disneyland Hotel

Maybe, and probably a great deal to do with being so close to Christmas. We were at GCH Dec 5-9, staying at DLH the 9-10, and we didn't experience this. There were always people but we had no issues with the overcrowding, hoarding, etc that has been mentioned. It was busy, but we could always get a chair and it wasn't hard to purchase goodies (we didn't, but could have) though the lines were long at certain times of day. I never saw anything gross, just people enjoying the season.

I'd say the closer you get to Christmas, the more people will be in the lobby. It's too bad, because it's a bit unfair to those staying there but it's also such a beautiful place during the holidays. Since people pay so much to stay, though, it might be nice if they could limit visitors to certain times of the day so guests can enjoy what they've paid that much to experience.
Like I stated above. If a holiday hotel destination with 1500 rooms can figure out how to make a magical experience for hotel guests during it’s prime time, so can GCH.

I like to stay in deluxe but between the two I prefer DLH.
Especially if at the GCH you end up with a room facing the main stroll, I thought it was nosy and not worth the money

I agree! I feel sorry for people who pay extra for DTD view, when what you're getting is often a noisy room with a long walk.

Those rooms should absolutely be the cheapest. I agree.

I think this is one of those “matter of preference” issues. I always love DizMe and DLgal’s perspectives, advice, and information, but this I one area where my family has a different opinion. We love our DTD rooms! We stayed concierge level last time and while we had a pretty view of the pools, we definitely prefer the energy and sounds of Downtown Disney from our balcony and missed the DTD view. For my husband and myself, we enjoy sitting in the balcony with a glass of wine in the evening, listening to the music of DTD, and enjoying the lights and people watching. We don’t often make it until midnight in the parks anymore, so it’s great to feel like we are part of the magic in the evening. We enjoy the fireworks from our DTD view rooms as well! I know a lot of people say they are too loud, but we’ve never noticed any noise once we’ve shut the sliding door. I’m not sure if this is a difference in noise tolerance or if we’ve just been lucky in having more sound proofed rooms!

I think this is one of those “matter of preference” issues. I always love DizMe and DLgal’s perspectives, advice, and information, but this I one area where my family has a different opinion. We love our DTD rooms! We stayed concierge level last time and while we had a pretty view of the pools, we definitely prefer the energy and sounds of Downtown Disney from our balcony and missed the DTD view. For my husband and myself, we enjoy sitting in the balcony with a glass of wine in the evening, listening to the music of DTD, and enjoying the lights and people watching. We don’t often make it until midnight in the parks anymore, so it’s great to feel like we are part of the magic in the evening. We enjoy the fireworks from our DTD view rooms as well! I know a lot of people say they are too loud, but we’ve never noticed any noise once we’ve shut the sliding door. I’m not sure if this is a difference in noise tolerance or if we’ve just been lucky in having more sound proofed rooms!

We did have a spectacular fireworks view from our DtD view room, but that was the only plus. The 7am tram horns were a killer since we like to sleep in. When we booked, it was all that was available.

I completely agree. We don’t mind the DTD view rooms at GCH. My husband and 15 year old LOVE the DTD view rooms, and I don’t mind them. I also don’t close down the parks anymore (since we also have a 1 year old). I like to sit on the balcony and enjoy a glass of wine while still being apart of the “action” while the baby sleeps. We also bring a sound machine and my husband and I wear ear plugs while sleeping. My husband and daughter love waking up and looking out at DTD, my husband says he feels like he wakes up in the parks. And we had to sleep with the slider open during one of our last stays because the AC wasn’t working properly in our hotel room, I was 8 months pregnant, and the hotel was sold out and couldn’t move us.

That being said, DLH is still my favorite hotel. My husband and daughter have since shifted their favorite to GCH (and GCH had to win back over my husband because we had der wrap HORRIBLE GCH experiences to overcome), but I’m still holding on to the DLH nostalgia.

You guys bring up a very good point! We all have our different perspectives, for sure, and no one opinion is THE answer.

It's like when people ask if staying on site is worth it. There's no response that fits all, but I tend to act like my view is the definitive answer 😂.

Maybe, and probably a great deal to do with being so close to Christmas. We were at GCH Dec 5-9, staying at DLH the 9-10, and we didn't experience this. There were always people but we had no issues with the overcrowding, hoarding, etc that has been mentioned. It was busy, but we could always get a chair and it wasn't hard to purchase goodies (we didn't, but could have) though the lines were long at certain times of day. I never saw anything gross, just people enjoying the season.

I'd say the closer you get to Christmas, the more people will be in the lobby. It's too bad, because it's a bit unfair to those staying there but it's also such a beautiful place during the holidays. Since people pay so much to stay, though, it might be nice if they could limit visitors to certain times of the day so guests can enjoy what they've paid that much to experience.
Hope you don’t mind me asking, but did you do early entry from both hotels? And if so, how did you find the wait at security to get into downtown Disney to be at the Grand and DLH? Was one significantly quicker than the other? Thanks!

Hope you don’t mind me asking, but did you do early entry from both hotels? And if so, how did you find the wait at security to get into downtown Disney to be at the Grand and DLH? Was one significantly quicker than the other? Thanks!
Yes, we did early entry from each. At the times we went, there wasn't a great deal of difference. I don't know how it would compare when it's super busy. GCH would probably have a lot fewer people lined up (I am assuming that but I'm not really sure), but it doesn't have the capability to handle as many people as the DTD security entrance. On the other hand, it has 2 separate entrances (DTD and DCA).

On my last trip (Jan 23-25 GCH), we didn't do EE at all because the crowds were already pretty low in the morning and so we just went around rope drop.

Yes, we did early entry from each. At the times we went, there wasn't a great deal of difference. I don't know how it would compare when it's super busy. GCH would probably have a lot fewer people lined up (I am assuming that but I'm not really sure), but it doesn't have the capability to handle as many people as the DTD security entrance. On the other hand, it has 2 separate entrances (DTD and DCA).

On my last trip (Jan 23-25 GCH), we didn't do EE at all because the crowds were already pretty low in the morning and so we just went around rope drop.
Thanks! It was very helpful info!

I find it interesting that only 1 person mentioned balconies. I love balconies and love being able to hear happy sounds from my room through my open window. It broke my heart when all the balconies were removed and the windows sealed shut at DLH. The last time we stayed at the DLH was when DS and DDIL got married in 2010. They stayed in one of the remodeled rooms with no balcony and sealed windows (with a dark tint) and we stayed in one of the last unremodeled rooms in a different tower - where you could sit on your balcony, hear park sounds, and catch a glimpse of a couple of the rides. I found the remodeled room oppressive, while ours was bright and airy.

Love the balconies at GCV (haven't stayed in the hotel in years but I assume most of those rooms also have balconies) but then I'm one of those people who leaves my slider open so I can hear when the park starts to come alive before opening. (I used to LOVE the old 2 story DLH buildings - hence my name - and my favorite was across from the old monorail station where I would sit out on the balcony with my coffee [from the Monorail Cafe] and watch the CMs get the station ready while DH and DS slept in.)

As far as I know, at the DLH only the concierge level has balconies, but I would like that!

I love the GCV 1-bedroom (but be sure they don't put you in the accessible room - it is not nearly as lovely- sorry - and the stove knobs are within easy reach of children - I am glad it is available for those who need it, which may include me before long).

Never had a problem with non-guests in the GCH lobby but maybe that is yet to come. They certainly know how to control that, because non-guests were not allowed on premises during the height of Covid and it just required a couple of check points.

Pre-Covid, it was faster to do early entry through GCH's DTD entrance because capacity was so limited through their CA entry. Don't yet know what it is like now.

We always hop because it is so easy and it can help you get away from crowds. If you can afford it, staying in the bubble is well worth it. The walk from either hotel is no big deal (and I'm 74) but GCH is handy if someone in your group likes Grizzly River Run and you need a change of clothes.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!

I find it interesting that only 1 person mentioned balconies. I love balconies and love being able to hear happy sounds from my room through my open window. It broke my heart when all the balconies were removed and the windows sealed shut at DLH. The last time we stayed at the DLH was when DS and DDIL got married in 2010. They stayed in one of the remodeled rooms with no balcony and sealed windows (with a dark tint) and we stayed in one of the last unremodeled rooms in a different tower - where you could sit on your balcony, hear park sounds, and catch a glimpse of a couple of the rides. I found the remodeled room oppressive, while ours was bright and airy.

Love the balconies at GCV (haven't stayed in the hotel in years but I assume most of those rooms also have balconies) but then I'm one of those people who leaves my slider open so I can hear when the park starts to come alive before opening. (I used to LOVE the old 2 story DLH buildings - hence my name - and my favorite was across from the old monorail station where I would sit out on the balcony with my coffee [from the Monorail Cafe] and watch the CMs get the station ready while DH and DS slept in.)

As far as I know, at the DLH only the concierge level has balconies, but I would like that!

I love the GCV 1-bedroom (but be sure they don't put you in the accessible room - it is not nearly as lovely- sorry - and the stove knobs are within easy reach of children - I am glad it is available for those who need it, which may include me before long).

Never had a problem with non-guests in the GCH lobby but maybe that is yet to come. They certainly know how to control that, because non-guests were not allowed on premises during the height of Covid and it just required a couple of check points.

Pre-Covid, it was faster to do early entry through GCH's DTD entrance because capacity was so limited through their CA entry. Don't yet know what it is like now.

We always hop because it is so easy and it can help you get away from crowds. If you can afford it, staying in the bubble is well worth it. The walk from either hotel is no big deal (and I'm 74) but GCH is handy if someone in your group likes Grizzly River Run and you need a change of clothes.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!
I loved those garden rooms! In fact, I loved the old Disneyland Hotel much more than I love the current one. DTD ate up most of the hotel property. A lot of people don't realize that the monorail stop is in the same exact place it always was, but all of that area, which is now part of DTD, used to be DLH grounds. The monorail cafe was right there, along with other dining venues, a night club, and there was a whole 2-story shopping plaza (that had a nice bakery). There were other buildings with hotel rooms, a pool, Japanese gardens, a sort of quick-mart place, and I don't remember what else. Where the current pools are used to be a big water area with paddleboats, a remote-controlled boat game, and restaurants directly on the water. What is now Tangaroa/Trader Sam's had at least one restaurant (Hook's Pointe) and what is now Goofy's Kitchen used to be an Italian restaurant called Stromboli's. When they first redid everything, Goofy's looked really odd to me hanging out over cement instead of water.

There was also a string of import shops across the harbor, like little connected islands.

I loved those garden rooms! In fact, I loved the old Disneyland Hotel much more than I love the current one. DTD ate up most of the hotel property. A lot of people don't realize that the monorail stop is in the same exact place it always was, but all of that area, which is now part of DTD, used to be DLH grounds. The monorail cafe was right there, along with other dining venues, a night club, and there was a whole 2-story shopping plaza (that had a nice bakery). There were other buildings with hotel rooms, a pool, Japanese gardens, a sort of quick-mart place, and I don't remember what else. Where the current pools are used to be a big water area with paddleboats, a remote-controlled boat game, and restaurants directly on the water. What is now Tangaroa/Trader Sam's had at least one restaurant (Hook's Pointe) and what is now Goofy's Kitchen used to be an Italian restaurant called Stromboli's. When they first redid everything, Goofy's looked really odd to me hanging out over cement instead of water.

There was also a string of import shops across the harbor, like little connected islands.

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this historical knowledge and perspective. I found it really interesting!

I'd do a split stay. We did this in July and glad we did. We don't know when we'd be back and I lucked into a DVC Villa at GCH, but also booked a couple nights at the Disneyland Hotel. I preferred the Disneyland Hotel and was disappointed in the lack of "Disney touches" in the GCH. We did have a nice balcony overlooking California Adventure that was great.

Wow, you remember everything so well. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
I posted this on the Community Board. This is me at DLH in 1991, standing in front of the harbor. You can see the remote control boat wheels next to me. Acid wash shorts, side pony in a banana clip, and LA Gear high tops, ha ha.me dlh 91.jpg

I posted this on the Community Board. This is me at DLH in 1991, standing in front of the harbor. You can see the remote control boat wheels next to me. Acid wash shorts, side pony in a banana clip, and LA Gear high tops, ha ha.View attachment 737022

Great picture!

I think I was there in 1992 as an 11 year old. I remember the year because I was wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey and someone came up to me and told me the Cowboys would never make it in the playoffs. They ended up winning the Super Bowl. It’s amazing what your brain remembers from childhood.

This sounds reasonable. We are Disney World regulars and do the Boardwalk to Hollywood walk and/or Beach Club to Hollywood. I’ll have to compare the mileage. If we can walk to a park we prefer it. I’ve even “jogged” the kids from MK to the Grand Floridian DVC building because they wanted to go “fast”…. this is in June
or September Florida weather too! I appreciate everyone’s input… it is going to be a tough choice!
On another site, someone did the map overlay of Epcot vs. the entire DLR resort. Since you are BW/BC people, this will make a ton of sense to you.

Think of the main (Future World) entrance to EPCOT as the back of Disneyland park. The America pavilion would be the back of California Adventure. The esplanade between the two is basically at the pathway in front of the lake in EPCOT, so walking from the back of one park to the back of the other would be like walking the whole length of EPCOT...but since there's no giant lake or stupid construction walls, it's a lot easier to get there. The Grand Californian would be like staying inside the UK & Canada pavilions, while the Disneyland Hotel would be like staying at the closest rooms in Beach Club. Note that the Harbor Blvd. motels would be like staying in the Mexico pavilion! It's really so much more walkable and I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you choose!

I posted this on the Community Board. This is me at DLH in 1991, standing in front of the harbor. You can see the remote control boat wheels next to me. Acid wash shorts, side pony in a banana clip, and LA Gear high tops, ha ha.View attachment 737022
Very cute. I'll have to mosey over to the Community Board - I don't want to hijack this thread, but I could go on and on.

On another site, someone did the map overlay of Epcot vs. the entire DLR resort. Since you are BW/BC people, this will make a ton of sense to you.

Think of the main (Future World) entrance to EPCOT as the back of Disneyland park. The America pavilion would be the back of California Adventure. The esplanade between the two is basically at the pathway in front of the lake in EPCOT, so walking from the back of one park to the back of the other would be like walking the whole length of EPCOT...but since there's no giant lake or stupid construction walls, it's a lot easier to get there. The Grand Californian would be like staying inside the UK & Canada pavilions, while the Disneyland Hotel would be like staying at the closest rooms in Beach Club. Note that the Harbor Blvd. motels would be like staying in the Mexico pavilion! It's really so much more walkable and I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you choose!
Thanks for this… yes that sounds super manageable then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter