Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel?

I agree, but it is also double the walk, because you walk out by Napa, walk thru the hotel, turn right down that hallway, turn right to the next hallway (pretty much walking back to Napa Rosa, just in the outside courtyard) to get into DTD.

Everyone has their preferences. We are usually in the wing closer to the VGC (our preference for a medical reason.) But we are at DLH as it really isn't much further than the Grand.
Did they change the location of the DTD exit from GCH?

Did they change the location of the DTD exit from GCH?
No, perhaps I am misunderstanding. If you exit the elevator by Napa Rose, you walk back to the hotel, pass Storytellers, the Acorn Shop, the elevator bank, turn right, go down the hallway past the convention center to the slider doors (where they had been doing temp checks), turn right towards the courtyard, and depending on time of day, you either exit at the Sephora shop or you continue further and exit by Starbucks. (It is larger and they have been using this in the AM.)

No, perhaps I am misunderstanding. If you exit the elevator by Napa Rose, you walk back to the hotel, pass Storytellers, the Acorn Shop, the elevator bank, turn right, go down the hallway past the convention center to the slider doors (where they had been doing temp checks), turn right towards the courtyard, and depending on time of day, you either exit at the Sephora shop or you continue further and exit by Starbucks. (It is larger and they have been using this in the AM.)
Oh, ok! I didn't realize they sometimes routed you down by Starbucks. I guess, to me, you do most of that walking from either elevator. But yes, you add the extra distance of walking past Storyteller's and Acorn Gift Shop from the Napa Rose elevators. Honestly, I'm happy as long as I'm near one or the other! The two worst rooms I've gotten have been those far, far away wings where you feel like that kid in The Shining riding his big wheel down hallway after hallway, turning, turning, turning. The layout seemed crazy, especially that far from an elevator. OMG, with 3 little kids it was a nightmare, but we usually staying in DLH in those days. We loved the old DLH. I'm not as big a fan since the reno, and after the girls got to be teens we all preferred GCH. They liked the nearby stores and food options and I liked the hotel lobby, closeness to the parks, and ambiance. I do always go to DLH every trip to see the lovely historical items and enjoy the grounds, but I don't care for the lobby (except the teacups) and I miss many of the places/things that were removed. I don't care about the pool or the waterslides at either hotel, but I do love Trader Sam's much more than Craftsman's Grill. Miss the DLH waterfalls, and the old Harbor that they had with paddleboats and the Italian restaurant that overlooked it (which is now Goofy's Kitchen). I liked Hook's Pointe (now Trader Sam's/Tangaroa) and the semi-outdoor bar and the shops that were strung across the water. But old makes way for new, and some changes have been great while others took away things I miss. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel!

We are planning on taking our Grandson who will be 7 next March... and we have been trying to decide where to stay.

We are leaning toward the Grand Californian... just for location, and ease of getting into the parks... DH mentioned maybe we should rent some points and stay at a DVC...I think with the our Grandson it would be nice to have some options for in room snacking...

Miss the DLH waterfalls, and the old Harbor that they had with paddleboats and the Italian restaurant that overlooked it (which is now Goofy's Kitchen). I liked Hook's Pointe (now Trader Sam's/Tangaroa) and the semi-outdoor bar and the shops that were strung across the water. But old makes way for new, and some changes have been great while others took away things I miss. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel!
Totally agree with you. Loved the old paddle boats. They were so much fun. And the remote controlled boats. And I think you were thinking of Strombolli's? And miss the Monorail Cafe.

And regardless of the walk in GCH, it is slightly closer than the DLH, and both places have their spot for people. I can never see what people see in the PPH, but there are people who really love it. I spent the months of May, June, and July with my visits at the Grand, and it was nice, but I am happy to be back home at the DLH.

I can never see what people see in the PPH, but there are people who really love it.

We stayed at PPH when our boys were younger and there were 4 of us in one room (and they didn't like to share a bed). PPH always had a sleeper sofa, so no worries about getting enough beds. Back then, you could still walk through GCH on your way in to the parks, plus it was a lot less money.

But also, we've had magic happen there - like being upgraded from a standard room to the Huntington Suite. Or the time on my birthday that the front desk sent up a fruit plate, a cheese plate and a stuffed Stitch with balloons. I've never had anything close to that happen at either DLH or GCH.

We are planning on taking our Grandson who will be 7 next March... and we have been trying to decide where to stay.

We are leaning toward the Grand Californian... just for location, and ease of getting into the parks... DH mentioned maybe we should rent some points and stay at a DVC...I think with the our Grandson it would be nice to have some options for in room snacking...
For what its worth, we found the counter space and mini fridge in the standard GCH rooms plenty sufficient size for snacks and storage.

Oh, ok! I didn't realize they sometimes routed you down by Starbucks. I guess, to me, you do most of that walking from either elevator. But yes, you add the extra distance of walking past Storyteller's and Acorn Gift Shop from the Napa Rose elevators. Honestly, I'm happy as long as I'm near one or the other! The two worst rooms I've gotten have been those far, far away wings where you feel like that kid in The Shining riding his big wheel down hallway after hallway, turning, turning, turning. The layout seemed crazy, especially that far from an elevator. OMG, with 3 little kids it was a nightmare, but we usually staying in DLH in those days. We loved the old DLH. I'm not as big a fan since the reno, and after the girls got to be teens we all preferred GCH. They liked the nearby stores and food options and I liked the hotel lobby, closeness to the parks, and ambiance. I do always go to DLH every trip to see the lovely historical items and enjoy the grounds, but I don't care for the lobby (except the teacups) and I miss many of the places/things that were removed. I don't care about the pool or the waterslides at either hotel, but I do love Trader Sam's much more than Craftsman's Grill. Miss the DLH waterfalls, and the old Harbor that they had with paddleboats and the Italian restaurant that overlooked it (which is now Goofy's Kitchen). I liked Hook's Pointe (now Trader Sam's/Tangaroa) and the semi-outdoor bar and the shops that were strung across the water. But old makes way for new, and some changes have been great while others took away things I miss. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel!
I was there once before the renovation, when I was a flower girl in a wedding at the hotel. It took every ounce of willpower my tiny self possessed not to ditch the entire wedding and head straight for the pirate ship swimming pool.

I was there once before the renovation, when I was a flower girl in a wedding at the hotel. It took every ounce of willpower my tiny self possessed not to ditch the entire wedding and head straight for the pirate ship swimming pool.
I'd forgotten about the pirate ship! It always seemed a shame that you couldn't climb on it :D

Here's a picture of me in the long ago times at Disneyland Hotel, in front of the remote controlled boats in the Harbor area. The building in the background is where Tangaroa is now.

But also, we've had magic happen there - like being upgraded from a standard room to the Huntington Suite. Or the time on my birthday that the front desk sent up a fruit plate, a cheese plate and a stuffed Stitch with balloons. I've never had anything close to that happen at either DLH or GCH.
I do like that the rooms are much larger. And things like that also happen at the DLH.

These were at the PPH. And we have received the fruit bowl there once too, with a card from management.

I can't find my pictures of the splits of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries I got once at the DLH (usually they have cookies left and milk.)
ETA Here's the strawberries....

At the Grand, we did get some really good oatmeal type cookies once.

We found a whole plateful of amazing treats in our room once thanks to Rona, who helped us with an issue and discovered we were on our annual sister trip. We thanked her for her help and told her she was our honorary sister. Later, we found plates and jars of goodies with a beautiful card! We make a point to look for her when we go, and if she's not there, we leave her a note :)

Those are the things that create good feelings for a place!

Approx. furthest room at GCH (~2050 ft from Esplanade)

It appears that the end of this wing might be slightly farther from the Esplanade maybe?

It's fascinating to look at the aerial photos and look at distance. I guess for me it's about being in A/C. Plus when it's
allowed, using the direct entrance to DCA of course.

I'd forgotten about the pirate ship! It always seemed a shame that you couldn't climb on it :D

Here's a picture of me in the long ago times at Disneyland Hotel, in front of the remote controlled boats in the Harbor area. The building in the background is where Tangaroa is now.
View attachment 596464
So funny that your outfit is back in style now :D

This thread is so helpful.

We loved the DLH, especially the suites, they were giant. My young kids love the mickey pools and slide. We added concierge, which was excellent and so convenient. We've been debating trying the Californian for our next trip, as we will have older kids and I think the convenience of the park would be excellent, especially for the evenings and water rides. Just not sure the price difference is worth it (we need 2 rooms or a 1 bedroom suite for our family).

Until this last trip, I was DL Hotel 100%. I loved having the monorail right there and the short lines to get through security. Now that I have stayed at the Grand, I think I'm a Grand convert. That location cannot be beat. We also had a marvelous day at the pool in one of the cabanas there.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with another family and wow was it huge!

We just stayed at the Grand this week after going back and forth (with reservations at both) between the two hotels. The entire time I was at the Grand - especially walking back at night soaking wet from Splash mountain - I was making a mental note to stop this debate and always stay there. It is much more convenient and you do feel like you're in a more premium hotel / experience, and I love the quick access to DCA. The lobby is breathtaking and so gorgeous late at night when it's empty. A vote for the Grand!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter