• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian entrance

disneymom23

Mouseketeer
I'm staying at the Grand for the first time since the new security locations took place. For early entry at CA Adventure, I would always go to the main entrance to do wide right for cars land. At check in, the cast member said that now the hotel entrance is only for hotel guests and that entrance is the best one to use. Is this true if I want to do cars first or should I go to the main one still. Thanks

When I checked in last week, I asked the front desk clerk and he told me to go through the main entrance for early entry. He said the morning line for the DCA entrance looped all the way around the courtyard. I didn't look at it. I just went through DTD entrance and walked to the front entrance.

When I checked in last week, I asked the front desk clerk and he told me to go through the main entrance for early entry. He said the morning line for the DCA entrance looped all the way around the courtyard. I didn't look at it. I just went through DTD entrance and walked to the front entrance.

I second this. When we were there in February (new security procedure in place), the line was insane at the DCA entrance. Looped around White Water Snacks, the pool, AND backed up to Storyteller's. We actually got in at 8:30am...30 minutes of EMH wasted. The next EMH we went to the main entrance. It was empty and a breeze to get in.

Now that could be different come summertime. I would take a peek at the DCA line and then high tail for the main entrance if it's nuts. Good luck!! :)

Just curious how long is walk to main entrance?
We are going to DL for the 1st time this July and staying at GCV :-)
Thanks
Kerri

Just curious how long is walk to main entrance?
We are going to DL for the 1st time this July and staying at GCV :-)
Thanks
Kerri
It is a .3 mile walk. I think it takes around 7 minutes. I never had a wait to go through security at the DTD entrance.

Can anyone who has been there in march weigh in on this? We were there last month too (mid-feb) and the DCA entrance was awesome...they let us into the park as soon as we got there (about 10 min before EMH started), we only waited for about 10 people or so to go through security in front of us. We'all be there again next month and I planned to use that entrance again...

We were there last Sun, Mon (3/19, 20) and the DCA entrance line was considerably longer than the line at the main gate at EMH. There were IIRC 3 people ahead of us in line at the 'new' Grand security checkpoint and maybe 7 people in line ahead of us at the turnstile we chose. The DCA/Grand entrance line was down past WW Snacks.

We will be there in 1 week - I've been waffling back and forth - gah! Hoping more people who have stayed at GCH recently keep chiming in...

I timed the walk tonight walking back from DL to the entrance by Sephora, then the walk to the DLH. It was 4 mins from exiting the park to the turn in at Sephora. It was another 4 mins to the DLH Fantasy tower. This was with the "after fireworks crowd, so we probably would shave a minute off the distance to the Grand for getting around the folks using the trams. This was using my daughter's pace. She is 30, and walks at a "determined pace." We aren't shopping even window shopping, we are headed to the hotel or park. If you are looking at all the stores, it will be slower.

The line at EMH at the Grand entrance is always longer.

We will be there in 1 week - I've been waffling back and forth - gah! Hoping more people who have stayed at GCH recently keep chiming in...

Don't stress. It takes 30 seconds to get close enough to the DCA entrance to check the length of the line. You can call it then. The main thing being that there is ONE line at the Grand vs multiple lines at the Esplanade.

We were waiting for Soarin' at the rope facing the Grizzly Peak area at EMH and they were letting people walk from the Grand through Grizzly Peak to join up with the crowd waiting at Carthay Circle for rope drop for RSR.

We will be there in one week and I was wondering the same thing. We've always gone to the main gate...but now I'm a little torn since EMH is the same time as Disneyland opening. I'm curious how that would affect crowds. Decisions, decisions.

We arrive tomorrow and staying at Grand CA. I plan to peek at the line and divert to Main Entrance if it's a joke. It's always been a joke, as in wrapped around and goes on forever. Not worth it.
It is SOOOOO much faster to walk to Main and get in through multiple gates. Not to mention it's touch and go with the "security" at the GC entrance. There's always some joker who wants to fight with the poor screener, giving them hell and arguing about some stupid thing. It just burns time. Plus, if the screener is slow, you are doomed. It's a frustrating set up so we typically avoid it.

Don't stress. It takes 30 seconds to get close enough to the DCA entrance to check the length of the line. You can call it then. The main thing being that there is ONE line at the Grand vs multiple lines at the Esplanade...
Very good advice. I usually check the DCA entrance, but have not used it at park opening for several years.
I check the entrance so I can comment on threads like this one :goodvibes

We arrive tomorrow and staying at Grand CA. I plan to peek at the line and divert to Main Entrance if it's a joke. It's always been a joke, as in wrapped around and goes on forever. Not worth it...
Last week, 30 minutes after the start of EMH the line still extended to Storytellers (perhaps around the corner, I did not bother to check).

There was no line at the security screening, from GCH to DTD.
There was no line at the EMH entrances (there were several open) at the DCA maingate.

Ok so How many entrances are there 2 or 3. GCV and main.... is downtown entrance a 3rd or same as main?
Thanks
Kerri

1. The front entrance (currently closed to non-hotel guests without a reservation for a restaurant there)
2. DtD entrance (open to guests entering the hotel from Downtown Disney.)
3. Entrance from the hotel directly to DCA (hotel guests only before 11am or so)

Edit: This is assuming you're asking how many entrances to the Grand Californian there are.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter