Grand Californian Availability Question

DisneyPiPhi

DIS Veteran
Hi, all! We are new DVC members and this is my first post on the board. I did some searching, but am looking for some support with a specific question that I didn't see answered.

We have a January DLR trip scheduled at Grand Californian, not using our points or renting points. It's just a regular hotel reservation. We would like to reschedule this trip to a week when we can use our points to stay at Grand Californian.

Now, I realize that VGC reservations are difficult to find when that is not our home resort. But our travel dates are very flexible.

Here is my question: is there a week that is more likely to become available if we waitlist? And, can anyone say from past experience a week they've been able to get VGC at 7 months?

Thanks!

We just got three nights at the GC for mid may in a one bedroom with no problem. Using points. A studio was not available. We are coming back from aulani and wanted to stop at Disneyland on the way back to Chicago. So we had no flexibility in our dates. I did see that anything later in May and into summer was pretty full. You can go online and look at upcoming availability for all resorts.

You can likely put together a week in a 1BR by stalking the RAT .. but I'd advise starting that search right at the opening of the 7-month window. Snag each night, one by one, as they are available. Starting now for January 2019 would take quite a measure of pixie dust.

(We are DL locals. I've used our SSR points at VGC many times ... but generally for 2 or 3 night stays; mostly 1BR units.) Good luck!

I have been able to schedule VGC twice, both reservations in August. But they were for dedicated 2 bedrooms. Studios were much harder to get. I went online and tried to book at 8 AM exactly 7 months in advance, and was unable to get a studio or a lockoff.

A week waitlist would be very difficult, especially 2 months out. For a waitlist to come through, all the nights have to open at once and no one ahead of you on the waitlist. Shorter waitlists are easier.

I was able to get 4 nights in a Studio right at 7 months out, but I feel I was very lucky to get this, as there wasn't much else available. Also, this was back in 2016.

Good luck!! The rooms are great if you can get one!

Note: Star Wars is set to open in the summer. I think May 1bedroom is a safer bet. Once SWL opens I’m expecting to get shut out. We have been very lucky at 7 mos for 1 and 2 beds in the past.

We've been able to book 3 weekend trips at VGC this year using our SSR points at a few days to a few weeks out through a combination of WL and stalking (2 stays in a studio and 1 in a 1BR). We were also able to book a 1BR for 5 nights next May at less than 7 months out, although when I checked again a week later none of the dates were available anymore. The shorter the WL the better the odds - I did single night WL for our weekend trips, so if your dates are flexible you could try to string together 1 night at a time through WL and stalking (better chances before SWL opens). 1BR availability also seems to be much better and I love that their 1BR has the Murphy bed and 2 full baths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter