Grand Cal parking

mlayton14

DIS Veteran
Hello , our plan is to rent a car and checkin to the grand Californian , park, checkin and drop bags , then return the car at the paradise pier. Is it possible to do this without getting charged for parking ? Guessing we would need 30 mins or so parked , thank you !

Can one person return the car while the other checks in? If so, just have the driver tell the gate guard "I'm just dropping off." When you check in, they will ask if you have a car so you just tell them no. Self parking at the GCH is actually closer to the PPH, across the street from the Grand, so it doesn't make sense to park the car just to check in and then have to go back to return the car.

Pull into the Valet, drop bags and rest of party...one person returns car.

If you pull into self parking across the street or leave car with Valet you will likely get charged...there is no short term registration self parking.

Can one person return the car while the other checks in? If so, just have the driver tell the gate guard "I'm just dropping off." When you check in, they will ask if you have a car so you just tell them no. Self parking at the GCH is actually closer to the PPH, across the street from the Grand, so it doesn't make sense to park the car just to check in and then have to go back to return the car.

would like to check in as a group as it’s our first time there , if the self parking is right next to paradise pier could we just return car and cut through parking lot with bags in hand to grand Californian check in ? Thank you

would like to check in as a group as it’s our first time there , if the self parking is right next to paradise pier could we just return car and cut through parking lot with bags in hand to grand Californian check in ?
You could do that, if you want to look like a bunch of hobos :rotfl:
The security guard expects guests entering on the sidewalk to already have room keys, so there can be delays.

You can leave your car in front of the hotel while you check-in, the valet may request you leave the keys.
Have bell services take your bags directly from the car, to avoid waiting in a bag storage line.

You could do that, if you want to look like a bunch of hobos :rotfl:
The security guard expects guests entering on the sidewalk to already have room keys, so there can be delays.

You can leave your car in front of the hotel while you check-in, the valet may request you leave the keys.
Have bell services take your bags directly from the car, to avoid waiting in a bag storage line.

thanks , In case your wondering how we could afford the grand Californian but fussing about a simple parking fee, it’s the principle - $35 for self parking on the same exact lot is a travesty for something that was free 2 years ago. It really ticks me off 😡

thanks , In case your wondering how we could afford the grand Californian but fussing about a simple parking fee, it’s the principle - $35 for self parking on the same exact lot is a travesty for something that was free 2 years ago. It really ticks me off 😡

Parking wasn't free two years ago... It was free at WDW up until 2018.

Yes, there is a small parking lot that is adjacent to the valet parking lot that is used for check-in. Just tell the person at the gate that you want to check-in and drop off your bags. The valet will show you where to park. I think the time limit is twenty minutes. We do this each time that we stay at GC including last month. I attached a photo of the GC that I found online. Look at the blue circle. That is the small lot to use for parking.

Attachments

• 30A9093F-5EA4-488A-8CDD-FC17FCD774D2.jpeg
    30A9093F-5EA4-488A-8CDD-FC17FCD774D2.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Yes, there is a small parking lot that is adjacent to the valet parking lot that is used for check-in. Just tell the person at the gate that you want to check-in and drop off your bags. The valet will show you where to park. I think the time limit is twenty minutes. We do this each time that we stay at GC including last month. I attached a photo of the GC that I found online. Look at the blue circle. That is the small lot to use for parking.

thats great, thanks for that info.

Parking most definitely hasn’t been free at any of the DLR hotels. At least not in the last 16 years since we’ve been able to afford a hotel room there. As someone above said, there is a place you can leave your car near the entrance while you checkin.

That little parking lot is often full, FYI. It's never been available for us when we have checked in, although we usually go July 4.

Parking has been a mess at times recently. If there is a big line we just go direct to the self park lot. They well let you in

Parking has been a mess at times recently. If there is a big line we just go direct to the self park lot. They well let you in

Yeah, the Valet gets so backed up that there that sometimes they have nowhere to send incoming cars. Last time we were there for a Napa Rose reservation, we had to sit in the car and wait for about 15 minutes before there was even a spot to pull up to hand the car over to valet.

No, but there has been a small decrease in the number of self parking spots as they demo the theater that backs up to the parking spots. (But this isn't near the check in area.). The DLH DVC tower is located on the west side of DLH grounds where the laundry facilities used to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter