• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gotta ask... maple syrup

It's like the difference between whipped cream and Cool Whip... or half and half and Coffee-Mate. I won't eat any chemical concoction when the real deal is available. If not I forego the chemicals.

I'll take:
  • real maple syrup
  • real whipped cream
  • real cream or half and half
  • real vanilla
  • real honey
  • etc.
Some people have taste buds and care about what they ingest and (I guess) others do not.

Martin

We prefer real maple syrup in our house even though we rarely use it. My DH and I grew up with the fake stuff. My MIL buys stuff that has "sugar free", "fat free" and "real buttery taste" on the label. The smell alone makes me want to barf.

It's like the difference between whipped cream and Cool Whip... or half and half and Coffee-Mate. I won't eat any chemical concoction when the real deal is available. If not I forego the chemicals.

I'll take:
  • real maple syrup
  • real whipped cream
  • real cream or half and half
  • real vanilla
  • real honey
  • etc.
Some people have taste buds and care about what they ingest and (I guess) others do not.

Martin

So, for the sake of argument, do you pack out your own whipped cream? Vanilla? Honey? You made my point, at what point do you just say, well, ill pass on that, or ill make due...

Where does it all end?!! With picnic baskets of your own food?

Yes I know, how absurd.

So, for the sake of argument, do you pack out your own whipped cream? Vanilla? Honey? You made my point, at what point do you just say, well, ill pass on that, or ill make due...

Yes I know, how absurd.

I really don't understand why you seem to make such a big deal out of it...

:confused:

It's healthier and it tastes better. The End.

Last edited:

I'll be in Epcot the weekend before I leave. I'll have to get a small thing of real maple syrup in Canada.

I'll preface this with, I'm from Vermont. :)

Safe to assume that the syrup that they use is the fake stuff?

No reason to preface your question as far as I'm concerned. 100% real maple syrup is far, far superior to maple flavored syrup. Plenty of sugar maples here in Minnesota and Wisconsin to tap for the REAL THING. It's all we buy.

Yes I know, how absurd.

I don't pack anything. As I posted, I just don't eat the stuff.

Martin

Fake syrup is really disgusting, I can't believe DCL doesn't offer the real stuff. It's like Waffle House which only offers margarine and fake syrup, but at least Waffle House doesn't call themselves classy. (Although DCL at least has real butter.) I'm not expecting organic, but putting high fructose corn syrup and brown food dye on my waffle - no thanks. If they want to be a premier line there are a few things they need to step up and this is one of them.

Going to probably ruffle a few feathers but REALLY?? Unless you are allergic, or have a specific health issue, this seems a bit snobbish. What next? Oh, Captain - are those free-range eggs? Is the veggie platter non GMO? Is that cheese from Wisconsin? Because really they know cheese... Where does it end? Just enjoy the trip already!

Why do you care? You feel strongly enough to post several times on a thread that's completely irrelevant to your cruise experience, and you seem excited to "ruffle a few feathers". What a strange hobby. If you like HFCS and food dye, enjoy it. Have a couple extra plastic containers on me.

Last edited:
Why do YOU Care? I don't recall saying anything about liking HCFS or anything of the like. Seems very presumptuous of you.

The OP posted a question. That will illicit replies. Including yours. Interesting, since you have no opinion whatsoever on the original post.

We had real maple at Olivia's, in OKW, but I don't remember on the vessels one way or the other. But being from Connecticut we know the really good maple comes from Connecticut:rolleyes1

Thinking this maybe the time I better duck!:scared: (joking of course)

AKK

My husband is from New Hampshire, so I get it. We bring maple syrup when we are traveling outside of New England.

I never thought of bringing my own - what a great idea! Yes, add us to the list of people who don't care for the fake stuff, and usually avoid eating those kinds of breakfast items if that's all a restaurant offers. We will definitely bring some small bottles on our next cruise!

Perhaps this is our future...

Effective for cruises embarking on or after September 30, 2015, Disney Cruise Line Guests may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened maple syrup (no larger than 100 ml) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.

Guests wishing to consume maple syrup that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a screw cap fee of $25.00 per bottle. Please note:

• These condiments must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.
  • Any syrup packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Any syrup in excess of 2 bottles will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Bringing blueberry, strawberry, or any other fruit-based syrup (including powdered syrup) on board is prohibited. These items will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Guest MUST retrieve any stored syrup at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be destroyed, and no compensation will be offered.
  • Syrup brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.
Please note that the Disney Cruise Line syrup policy is subject to change without notice.
No fair! I only like fruit flavored syrup! I hate this new policy!!!

PS-Love your post!

Always bring our own wherever we travel. And once DCL room service started only delivering "creamers" with our coffee, I bring down a cup of half and half from the beverage station and keep it on ice for use in our AM coffee.

Perhaps this is our future...

Effective for cruises embarking on or after September 30, 2015, Disney Cruise Line Guests may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened maple syrup (no larger than 100 ml) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.

Guests wishing to consume maple syrup that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a screw cap fee of $25.00 per bottle. Please note:

• These condiments must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.
  • Any syrup packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Any syrup in excess of 2 bottles will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Bringing blueberry, strawberry, or any other fruit-based syrup (including powdered syrup) on board is prohibited. These items will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Guest MUST retrieve any stored syrup at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be destroyed, and no compensation will be offered.
  • Syrup brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.
Please note that the Disney Cruise Line syrup policy is subject to change without notice.
:lmao:

Why do YOU Care? I don't recall saying anything about liking HCFS or anything of the like. Seems very presumptuous of you.

The OP posted a question. That will illicit replies. Including yours. Interesting, since you have no opinion whatsoever on the original post.

If you're going to come here and be picky, at least get your wording right…I think you mean elicit?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter