GOTG intensity

heathsf

DIS Veteran
I was under the impression that GOTG was a “family coaster” but my brother and dad rode it today and told me not to bring my 7 yo on it because it’s too intense. Do you agree?

It's intense, whether or not your 7 yo would find it too much is the variable. It's intense enough that they've put a bunch of barrels at the ride exit for people who cannot contain their stomach contents.

Not personally, no. I wouldn't hesitate to bring any of the 7yo kids I have had in my life on it. I don't think it's intense at all. Intense doesn't really have anything to do with those who are having issues with motion sickness. I find those 2 things totally unrelated. A car ride can cause motion sickness. And that's not intense.
That said, only you know your 7yo and what they like.
What other rides have they been on? Maybe that would help give better opinions

Last edited:

This ride is causing very different reactions from people. My Dad, a friend and I have all ridden and wouldn't classify it as intense at all. The first time we rode we were behind someone was was very nervous about the intensity. When we saw her at the exit, she thought it was great, and also not that intense. Obviously, other people have had very different experiences.

It depends on how his brain processes movement (basically) and whether that processing will end in a very nauseated state.

We were pretty stupid last year and we went on Hagrid before testing it first and my 7 year old almost lost his breakfast after the ride. He makes sure to let us know regularly that we made him sick and the that was not very nice.....ooops. There's no way he would make thru GOG so my opinion would be ride it first yourself and see for yourself if the ride is to intense. We had zero issue getting on the virtual queue multiple times. I would definitely say it's not a family coaster like say Slinky Dog.

I get motion sickness from some rides and I got a little queasy after GOG but not that bad.

I was under the impression that GOTG was a “family coaster” but my brother and dad rode it today and told me not to bring my 7 yo on it because it’s too intense. Do you agree?
I didn’t thin’ it was intense at all I’d take a 7 year old on it no problem. There were a lot of small kids on it.

Feels less intense than Space Mountain to me, but that's probably because it's smooth and not jerky. The biggest issue with motion sickness seems to be people moving while watching the screens. I don't have those issues, so it wasn't a problem for me. If motion simulators bother you, then this probably would. It could bother some people that don't usually have motion simulator issues as well. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but I find if I ride Forbidden Journey first thing in the morning without having eaten anything, I will feel nauseous. Usually not when I have eaten something, even something small. So maybe try eating a little something before riding, assuming you don't have motion simulator issues.

Definitely not a "family coaster" like the mine train snoozer.

I agree not intense at all, my 5 nearly 6 yo loved it when we were there last week, he rode it 4 times. However in full disclosure his favorite ride is "the yeti" aka expedition everest

We did not think it was intense. I will say the pre shows have a LOT of stimulation - bright flashing lights and noise. Saw several kids whom I am guessing were autistic loose it in them even in strollers and with ear protection. They were amazing but very stimulating. The ride itself was not intense. It was smooth as can be. Sort of like space mountain but you can see where you are going as far as the track goes. Our advice is don’t concentrate on trying to watch the scenes as you go by. Just look where you are directed by the ride and go with it. Don’t try to turn your head to look at things as you go by. Just keep your vision going where the car is going. I get sick feeling on bigger coasters (Everest and rockin rollercoaster at Disney and everything at cedar point lol). This ride did not give me even a blip of issue. But it is more intense than thunder mountain I would say. Less intense than space mountain because you see where you are going pretty much. It is so freaking fun. When we got off everyone was so happy and exclaiming over how great the ride was.

My four year old rode it. We didn’t realize how intense it was and thought it would be more like Seven Dwarves or Big Thunder which he loves. He came off of it a bit shellshocked. But basically intact and not crying. Didn’t want to do it a second time though.

NO... we just returned, our youngest was 7 another one was 9 and oldest was 68. We all loved it. We rode it 4 times...it's a great ride. Seriously one of the best things Disney has done in a LONG time and we've never even seen GoTG.

If you're super sensitive to flashing light or spinning...then maybe, but honestly even then I'd give it a try. My mom has vertigo and she almost didn't go but did and loved it.

It is not particularly intense. Definitely less than Everest. A bit more than Space Mt and Big Thunder but not much. As others have stated, it is VERY smooth though.

The issue some have is with motion sickness, which is not really related to the intensity. Its related more to how you handle motion simulators with screens. If rides like that give you trouble, Guardians MIGHT also bother you. There are some very large screens in the attraction and your vehicle rotates while moving (not 360).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter