Got to clap with the "Clapping Man" :)

RobertaMomof2

Mouseketeer
We were waiting for Jungle Cruise shortly after opening on our last of 5 days at the parks. We were in the ADA waiting area, and a very old gentlemen was exiting a boat and started walking towards me and started to clap. I recall hearing about him before, and think I saw him (from afar) in the past and quickly (thankfully) realized who he was. I starting to clap to his rythm as well, and his eyes danced with joy and we both smiled and laughed as he walked closer to our group and clapped together. My kids looked at me like I was nuts, and one of the CMs smiled (older gentlemen himself) and started clapping too. My kids started clapping as well, at this point and we all laughed and said thank you to each other for the precious moment in time, and he walked away, off to another ride. We were now getting ready to get on our ride. The CM told me he rides every day, and had the pleasure to be the captain of the boat when it was the Clapping Man's 92nd birthday a few years ago. I hope when I am 90+ I still have the joy this man had in Disneyland. I am glad we shared a moment and my kids got to share in it too. :) Anyone else have a Clapping Man story? :)

The clapping man is Peter Tu and he is a Disneyland regular. His granddaughter posted a video about him on YouTube. Aside from his distinct clapping style, he also had a signature handshake that he would share with CMs. I expect though with post-pandemic protocols that the handshake is not encouraged (by anyone). My daughter and I have seen/heard him a couple of times over the years. He is usually at DL in the morning, and some rides you will see him on include: Jungle Cruise, Indy, Big Thunder, Autopia, and I think Small World too.

Mr. Tu!
A few years ago when we were in the parks with grandson #2, we rode Jungle Cruise with Mr. Tu. My grandson didn't get what a "big deal" it was, but he was newly 7, so it was just mostly him thinking that Grammy was being weird. I still think back to that ride and the clapping before we went off on our cruise 😀

To be honest, the first time I saw him (many years ago), I was kind of annoyed at the clapping. As time went by and I realized what it was about, I thought it was awesome. Keep clapping, Mr. Tu!!

It's always a pleasure to see Peter Tu! I even got excited watching an episode of Fresh Baked when I saw him in the background riding a Main Street vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter