Got the Go-Ahead from the Family!

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
DH and DD are on board with planning for Florida next February! I can currently book United for 623.00 per person round trip. American has flights at like 2000 per person round trip?! Should I book United? Or wait? This is for last week of February flying VT to MCO. Thank you!!

Which VT airport? I used the Google travel website for random days next February and found much lower fares from Burlington to MCO, but not sure where you fly out of. February is a popular travel time to southern destinations that have warm weather that time of year. Using one of the many airfare search websites you can easily compare your options/prices/airlines.

That fairly new Breeze airlines also has non-stops from BTV to MCO but their calendar doesn't yet go into next February.

1711898456552.png

Which VT airport? I used the Google travel website for random days next February and found much lower fares from Burlington to MCO, but not sure where you fly out of. February is a popular travel time to southern destinations that have warm weather that time of year. Using one of the many airfare search websites you can easily compare your options/prices/airlines.

That fairly new Breeze airlines also has non-stops from BTV to MCO but their calendar doesn't yet go into next February.

View attachment 846810
We are looking at last week of February out of Burlington. We do not want to use Breeze because they only fly a few days a week and in the winter that is risky. Thank you!

Do you know what prices usually are? I would book United for that price difference. Crazy!
Of course, they must know I am looking. It timed out and now it is showing 700 and up roundtrip
I cleared my cookies but am still not seeing the 632.00

How does this look? I also applied for the credit card to get 300.00 off. It will take 2-3 business days before I can use that. Should I wait for that, too?

Burlington BTV to Orlando MCO​

Feb 22Saturday, February 2210:03 am to 3:05 pm1 stop

Show details
687 kg CO2Carbon emissions estimate: 687 kilograms.
Learn more about carbon emissions
Flight 2 of 2

Orlando MCO to Burlington BTV​

Feb 28Friday, February 2812:26 pm to 6:24 pm1 stop

Show details
685 kg CO2Carbon emissions estimate: 685 kilograms.

Price breakdown​

Fare
$1,962.57
Taxes and fees
$294.78

Total due​

$2,257.35

How does this look? I also applied for the credit card to get 300.00 off. It will take 2-3 business days before I can use that. Should I wait for that, too?

Burlington BTV to Orlando MCO​

Feb 22Saturday, February 2210:03 am to 3:05 pm1 stop

Show details
687 kg CO2Carbon emissions estimate: 687 kilograms.
Flight 2 of 2

Orlando MCO to Burlington BTV​

Feb 28Friday, February 2812:26 pm to 6:24 pm1 stop

Show details
685 kg CO2Carbon emissions estimate: 685 kilograms.

Price breakdown​

Fare
$1,962.57
Taxes and fees
$294.78

Total due​

$2,257.35
I think you're panicking. There is no way I'd pay $2000 RT (assume PP) 11 months out. Those dates aren't even open for Delta yet (will be in about 4-5 days). Heck, I wouldn't even open up a new CC.

Use Google Flights (google.com/flights) once the dates are available. Set up alerts. Check yourself every couple of days.
Some tips to possibly save money...
* Fly during off hours. In your case, I'd look for leaving Friday night (whatever the last flight of the day is). Get a hotel room near MCO for the night, then go to Disney the next day.
* Be willing to make layovers (yes, you have one listed, but for others, don't lock into a non-stop as a "must have")
* Be willing to look at different airports. These are all within acceptable distance IMO...
Look into flying into Tampa, Daytona, Sanford, or Melbourne in Florida. Just know your transportation from the airport to Disney will be more complicated/expensive, but may be offset by flight savings.

Is this a lot of work? Yup. Is it worth it to save possibly $1500-$1700 pp? ABSOLUTELY!

I start getting a little nervous six months out, and would want to be booked by three months, especially if it's a large group.

Ignore anyone telling you "book at a certain time of day", "book on a certain day of the week", "book at a certain number of days from your trip". The simple answer is "book when the cost is acceptable (that doesn't mean you're happy with it)."

I'd also look at Amtrack. Yes, it would take over a day, but for two people was only $880, and that's with a roomette for the NY <> Orlando.

Attachments

• 1711910007727.png
    1711910007727.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 1

I think you're panicking. There is no way I'd pay $2000 RT (assume PP) 11 months out. Those dates aren't even open for Delta yet (will be in about 4-5 days). Heck, I wouldn't even open up a new CC.

Use Google Flights (google.com/flights) once the dates are available. Set up alerts. Check yourself every couple of days.
* Fly during off hours. In your case, I'd look for leaving Friday night (whatever the last flight of the day is). Get a hotel room near MCO for the night, then go to Disney the next day.
* Be willing to make layovers (yes, you have one listed, but for others, don't lock into a non-stop as a "must have")
* Be willing to look at different airports. These are all within acceptable distance IMO...
Look into flying into Tampa, Daytona, Sanford, or Melbourne in Florida. Just know your transportation from the airport to Disney will be more complicated/expensive, but may be offset by flight savings.

Is this a lot of work? Yup. Is it worth it to save possibly $1500-$1700 pp? ABSOLUTELY!

I start getting a little nervous six months out, and would want to be booked by three months, especially if it's a large group.

Ignore anyone telling you "book at a certain time of day", "book on a certain day of the week", "book at a certain number of days from your trip". The simple answer is "book when the cost is acceptable (that doesn't mean you're happy with it)."

I'd also look at Amtrack. Yes, it would take over a day, but for two people was only $880, and that's with a roomette for the NY <> Orlando.
got it - thanks for talking me off the cliff of panic booking (just excited for trip!)

Also, we are traveling with DD, so some things (like late nights, train then plane, etc.) just aren't worth the exhaustion. I appreciate the tips though!

Also, we are traveling with DD, so some things (like late nights, train then plane, etc.) just aren't worth the exhaustion. I appreciate the tips though!
Everyone has/knows what's important to them. Schedule vs cost is important to me. I'm willing to travel off hours to save significant money. Keep in mind your DD will be a year older by then. The latest you'd probably get into MCO (assuming no weather delays or the like) would be around midnight.

Oh, I am not looking at booking 2000 PP! I was looking at roughly 759 per person.
That's MUCH better. lol. Still a little high IMO. Take a look at prices for the middle of January through the middle of February. That might give you a "baseline" on what to expect.

Neither Orbtiz nor Google flight go that far out, so I would wait a few weeks until they do to compare prices.

I chose the week prior on Orbitz which seems representative of what might be available and you can see some of those below around $600 per person on American Airlines. United & Delta were also shown further down that page.

1711916756301.png

Another tip is "know what you're buying". You can probably "save" $50-$100/ticket by purchasing a "basic economy" fare, but know those generally don't include a carryon allowance and you can't pick your seats in advance. Often these comparison sites will list the lowest cost for a specific flight, which is often the "basic" fare.

You are booking WAY too early. Wait until a few months before your trip; the prices will come down exponentially.

We are looking at last week of February out of Burlington. We do not want to use Breeze because they only fly a few days a week and in the winter that is risky. Thank you!

Yeah that might end up being inflated because it's NH school vacation week. That airport is actually closer than Logan for some parts of the state, if someone really wanted to go out of that airport.

We looked at flights for April a few months ago and the prices had really gone up. It is so hard to tell!

I know for me, that week won't go down because of the demand for school vacation week. I bought on fare release day for February 2024 and I hesitated before hitting buy, and the fares weren't available at that price so I ended up paying about 500 more for the tickets.

If you see a price you like, I would just buy the tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter