• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got last minute bad news...

Mchurchill96

Mouseketeer
Ok, so we have a pop up camper we bought from friends this year. Have a campsite reservation starting next Monday. Camper is in to be looked at right now--check wheels, bearings, etc. Found out the rot in the roof is worse than we thought, and if we don't strap it down, the latches may not hold. Great. Also, it's infested with ants. Wonderful. And the $150 wheel pack (checking we planned to do) may end up resulting in finding more work needing to be done. And here I was thinking I'd be picking up a window AC unit this week for my hubby to rig for it. It may not even be road worthy.

SO....I'm going to check the Disney site and see if there's any chance they may have a cabin available (won't hold my breath, and we'd have to find the money for the difference in price). I've also heard about RV and camper rentals. Just going to the first site that popped up...would we really be looking at over $100 to 500 a DAY to rent a camper? I saw something advertising pop ups for $9/day, but I can't find the actual info on it. Does anyone know about any of the camper rental places near Disney, and how much we should expect to have to pay if we go that route?

Thanks!

There are lots of places that rent travel trailers but I'm not aware of anyone who rents pop-ups. There used to be one, but they retired last spring. Just google camper rental walt disney world and you'll get a pretty good listing of what's available. And yes, it's going to be over $100 per night.

What type of campsite do you have reserved, I know someone who I have rented a TT from before that offers a great price but it can not go in a tent,pop-up site.

Just a quick google and landing on Greenberg RV, they have a 14 foot TT for 359 per week. So that's less then $100/day

Also found http://www.traveltrailerrent.com/camper--15.html which is a pop-up (The only one they have). They don't deliver this model to Disney but you can pick it up if you have an appropriate vehicle. They are however up to the $100/day range.

Depending on your location, not sure where you live, what direction you are coming, but if you are/where military, I know that a lot of the MWR centers rent pop-ups and some have travel trailers. Like I said, not sure of your military status, just putting that out there.

We looked into doing this route several years ago. Our TA sent us to Myrvhotel.com to check out what they had and to decide if we wanted to go that way. While we decided against it I likde what I saw as a potential option

UPDATE: I did look into Greenberg RV and Meacham's RV, and both had campers available for my dates. One was a hybrid that would fit on our tent/pop up site. HOWEVER, the hubs decided to have the wheel pack done, and we needed 2 tires replaced-the spare and one of the drive tires. Moved the other, decent tire to be the spare. Hubby thinks the ant issue is because it was parked under a tree, and ant baits should take care of them. And he's going to get straps to secure the roof during travel.

After all this hassle, we'll have to decide if we want to put a new roof on it next year, and keep our pup, or do we cut our losses and try to save up for something newer and in better condition?

Thanks for the replies.

we have a pop up camper we bought from friends this year.

1) Alas, friends don't always tell the WHOLE truth about things they sell.
2) Wish you go luck in renting a unit from a local company.
3) It is slow time of year, so your should be fine.

UPDATE: I did look into Greenberg RV and Meacham's RV, and both had campers available for my dates. One was a hybrid that would fit on our tent/pop up site. HOWEVER, the hubs decided to have the wheel pack done, and we needed 2 tires replaced-the spare and one of the drive tires. Moved the other, decent tire to be the spare. Hubby thinks the ant issue is because it was parked under a tree, and ant baits should take care of them. And he's going to get straps to secure the roof during travel.

After all this hassle, we'll have to decide if we want to put a new roof on it next year, and keep our pup, or do we cut our losses and try to save up for something newer and in better condition?

Thanks for the replies.

Hope everything works out for you and you can have a good camping experience. When buying used from 'any' source, it's always a good idea to check it out completely, or have a trusted source go over it with you present. Don't know it's age, but with rotted wood, it must have water leaks/damage. The canvas could also be rotted.

With installing a roof AC out, hope you can find some other way to stay cool - maybe a portable AC? Otherwise, this time of year, the heat is brutal. Fans alone just stir hot humid air around and give no relief.

Not a bad idea to strap down your pop while on the road. We've done that on every trip the last two year's. Actually bought a new strap tonight for our camping trip this weekend. Good luck!

Go enjoy your trip to the Fort then cut your losses and start saving for a better unit. There are a lot of used units out there that are in much better shape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter