• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good place to stop between LAX and DLR?

Belia

Mouseketeer
We're going to be driving from LAX to DLR and are looking for a nice, safe shopping area / town to stop at on the way close to I-5. We'll need lunch after our flight and don't want to pay airport prices. Plus, we'd like to stop at a grocery store to pick up some provisions for our week and NOT pay the elevated tourist prices we might find closer to the parks. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thank you!

The drive is less than an hour unless traffic is crazy. I-5 is actually a little bit out of the way for LAX and more if you're driving from LA proper. From LAX, I sometimes stop in Cerritos on the way. I mostly get Asian food but I'm sure there's a couple malls in Cerritos with other options and grocery stores like Ralphs. Something like the Promenade at Downey could also work. There's a Walmart there and a Costco sort of near there.

The Citadel outlet mall is very nice and right off the 5. All of the LA basin and Orange County is a sea of shopping malls and strip malls.

We're going to be driving from LAX to DLR and are looking for a nice, safe shopping area / town to stop at on the way close to I-5. We'll need lunch after our flight and don't want to pay airport prices. Plus, we'd like to stop at a grocery store to pick up some provisions for our week and NOT pay the elevated tourist prices we might find closer to the parks. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thank you!
You don't say where you are staying. What are you looking to pick up for "provisions"? I usually just run to CVS across from Disneyland. Target is maybe 2 miles down Harbor. For food, do you want to find a place to dine in or grab food to eat on the way?

Following Steven above, after taking the 91, get off on Beach, go south to La Palma, East a couple blocks and there is Portillos!!! It is in a parking lot and there are options for picking up your supplies.

We're staying at the HOJO and I just assumed that the prices at the groceries / convenience stores close to DLR would be higher than some further out in non-tourist areas. Maybe not, though??? And honestly, we might need to stop sooner than an hour outside of the airport for lunch.

And yes, we're looking for a casual sit-down place to grab lunch then a normal store nearby to grab a case of bottled water, some fruit, quick breakfasts for the room, snacks... stuff like that.

And I'm from Chicago so while I do love me an Italian Beef sweet and wet with mozzarella, I don't need to stop at a Portillos necessarily. :) We get that plenty here at home.

GREAT NOW I WANT PORTILLOS :rotfl2:

Like, how would the South Bay Galleria be? Looks like its super close to the 405 and 91. Restaurants plus a Target, Ralph's, and Sprouts. Maybe Torrance? Would that be ok?

We're staying at the HOJO and I just assumed that the prices at the groceries / convenience stores close to DLR would be higher than some further out in non-tourist areas. Maybe not, though??? And honestly, we might need to stop sooner than an hour outside of the airport for lunch.

And yes, we're looking for a casual sit-down place to grab lunch then a normal store nearby to grab a case of bottled water, some fruit, quick breakfasts for the room, snacks... stuff like that.

And I'm from Chicago so while I do love me an Italian Beef sweet and wet with mozzarella, I don't need to stop at a Portillos necessarily. :) We get that plenty here at home.

GREAT NOW I WANT PORTILLOS :rotfl2:

All of southern California is a "tourist area." Prices will likely be a bit cheaper closer to Anaheim vs LA. Just stop at any Target you pass by on the way. You can get everything you need there.

For lunch, stop at literally any In N Out along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter