• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good place to look for the Space Shuttle while at WDW

zulaya

DIS Veteran
OK, so I see there's a shuttle launch scheduled for June 8 and we'll be at WDW.

I'm not planning to drive out to Cape Kennedy for the launch, just hoping to see something from WDW.

With that said, where have you have a great view of a launch while at WDW? Whether you planned it or happened to be at the right place at the right time, I want to hear your ideas!

Thanks!

..but..

I would think that you could see it rather easily anywhere at WDW where you can get a good view of the sky.. Especially if it is a night launch..

Now, if you really want to "feel" the launch, take the time to drive over to the Cape.. But the again, I would drive anywhere for "space" stuff! I'm a former camp counselor at Space Camp!

MM:teacher:

We were in Epcot in July, at the Italy pavilion and caught the launch. We saw it fine there and took really neat pictures! Have fun!

We've seen one from the bridge between Y&B and BW few years back. Nothing great, just a huge fire ball going up, but we did see it fairly well. Guess if you want the whole nine yards, Cocoa Beach for the real Mccoy.

We lived 2 hours south of the Kennedy Space Center and could see the shuttle launches--the night ones were especially wonderful. I should think that being at Disney would give you a view from just about anywhere. Enjoy, they are wonderful!

We watched one from the bridge to Tomorrowland. The entire park was pretty much on-hold starting about 20 minutes before the launch.

We saw the shuttle launch from the boat dock at WL. This was good because it was over Bay Lake. This was this past Dec.

We drove over to Kennedy Space Centre the year we went, and while there we got told there was a launch the same week, we'd never seen anything like it before, so drove back over there on the day of the launch to watch.

We watched from a pier if I remember correctly, was totally amazing, an experience I'll never ever forget. You can really feel everything being so close, the ground tremmers (sp?)!! We have some awsome pics!!

I reccommend that if you get the chance to watch, from anywhere, don't pass up the oppertunity, its amazing!! :thumbsup2

It's a good idea to either have a web enabled cell phone or a small radio with you if you want to watch a launch. Sometimes they are cancelled at the last minute and you can spend a half hour or more staring at the blank sky, wondering when you'll see it. We had a web enabled cell last December when we watched the night launch in December. It took a few seconds for it to rise above the horizon once it took off, so if you hear/see that it's going, you'll have those few seconds to turn and look slightly northeast.

We ae going in Sept. There is supposed to be a launch. We are going to rent a car and goto KSC.

Is there a good "middle" spot along 528 where we can see more than from WDW? Or is this one of those things where if you're not at KSC, you might as well be anywhere else?
We would love to see more than just a glowing dot in the sky from WDW if we can, without getting caught in all of the launch traffic to/from the coast.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Is there a time for the luanch on June 8th? (a friend will be there)

What is the date for the September one? (We are going the 22nd-30th)

Thanks!

The nighttime launch was supposed to be the same night as MCMCP. There were a ton of people standing around, one eye glued to the fireworks show, the other eye off over TomorrowLand, watching for the shuttle. They scrubbed it about 10 mins before the scheduled liftoff. Someone had a friend on the phone, so kept us informed. It ended up being the night before I left. I watched it from in-between the Swan and Dolphin. It was a pretty glorious sight.
There is one scheduled for Aug.9, we'll be at WDW but are leaving the next day for Cocoa Beach! I'm hoping they delay the launch by a day or two. They could even launch on the 12th...we'll be onboard the Wonder, getting ready to sail off that afternoon!

We just so happened to see the shuttle launch from the ferry headed back to the TTC. My brother (who was about 10 at the time) saw it first. It was just like a fireball moving along the sky at night -- really neat!

Is there a time for the luanch on June 8th? (a friend will be there)

What is the date for the September one? (We are going the 22nd-30th)

Thanks!

So, here is the current information on the launches scheduled right now (and as others mentioned they are subject to change) --

Atlantis STS-117 (originally scheduled this past March) is scheduled today for June 8, but the "final" date will be announced at the end of the month, according to NASA today. It starts moving to the pad tomorrow. The biggest obstacle I can see is if the wildfires threaten it in some way. PRAY for rain.

Discovery STS-118 -- Educator in Space -- currently scheduled for August 9. My "inside" information still completely stands by this date publically, but the discussion is that it'll probably go around the beginning of September. Stinks for me, because that's the one we're going to as invited guests and I can't plan anything until 117 is done.

STS-120 - Currently scheduled for the end of October. The 117 and 118 are required for it to go, so if they are postponed, then it should be as well. And, for what it's worth, there's another launch (STS-122) scheduled for the beginning of December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter