• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good Neighbor packages?

margot31

DIS Veteran
How are these? Are these worth the money? Are the location of these hotels good/good walking distance? I can do a whole separate package thing since I get get a good deal on tickets being military but it almost seems like there isn't much of a price difference. Has anyone used the shuttle set up with the good neighbor packages? I won't be renting a car and more than likely fly into LAX as it is the cheaper option as well as time traveling from hawaii.

Most just book direct and usually find a better deal than though the Disney packages. There is little significance to the GNH designation other than they are authorized to be a park ticket reseller...does not mean squat as far as quality or addional benefits or perks

Definitely no need for a car at the resort. If you are not in walking distance almost every hotel uses the ART system for park transportation which runs loops through the various hotels. Basically dedicated park public transportation system.

The GN status really gets you nothing.
IMHO, the best local hotels are not GN, nor are the hotels with the shortest walks.

Would agree with the above statements. You only get "perks" when you are staying at an onsite Disney property so unless you are then there is really no advantage to a GNH.

Just a suggestion on flights...I was going to fly my mom from Hawaii and there's one direct flight on Hawaiian Airlines to Long Beach that's been priced the same as LAX. Not sure if the flight time works for you though. Long Beach is much closer to Disneyland.

You are going to get better deals going through the hotels themselves or through a site like Orbitz. Some have really good deals if you stay at least a certain number of nights (for example, The Tropicana has a deal where if you stay 5 nights you get $20 a night off). Several of the closest hotels, like Park Vue, Desert Inn and Del Sol are not GN hotels, so I wouldn't worry at all about that designation.

You need to do the math. I booked my original trip for May at Fairfield through Disney because it was a better price than booking direct with Fairfield.

If you have a Costco membership, you can book a package through Costcotravel.com at a good neighbor hotel and get a gift card out of it. Depending on the time of year the gift card could be a couple hundred bucks, and technically, it’s a direct booking through Disney, because of the way the site works.

Otherwise, like others have said, there’s not usually much value to it. Although you’ll get the occasional outlier.

If you have a Costco membership, you can book a package through Costcotravel.com at a good neighbor hotel and get a gift card out of it. Depending on the time of year the gift card could be a couple hundred bucks, and technically, it’s a direct booking through Disney, because of the way the site works.

Otherwise, like others have said, there’s not usually much value to it. Although you’ll get the occasional outlier.

Another plus with booking with Costco is if you have the membership that earns 2% back,, you can earn that on your trip. Oh, and you can pay your trip with Disney gift cards, monthly, weekly, etc. So, you can purchase Disney gift cards from Target with a red card to save 5%, then apply gift card to your trip until you have your trip payed. I would suggest saving your gift cards and label them until after your trip because of these trying times.

Thanks for that tip.

When we stay offsite we usually go for Best Western Park Place Inn if we want super close, Hotel Indigo if we want to score an awesome deal (about a 10 minute walk and renovated somewhat recently), or Hyatt House if we want a more updated, nicer offsite stay (same area as Indigo). We want to try the new-ish Residence Inn but haven't gotten a chance yet. Looks really nice and lots of space.

Which ones do you consider the best?

Personally, we like the short walk of staying at BWPPI or PVI but really, any of the other hotels along Harbor are only another 1~5 minute walk. They also tend to be clean and well kept because of the high occupancy rate. They can afford to be decent!

Scott

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter