Good Neighbor Hotel Reviews anyone?

rebeccah

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
New to the forum here -
my family and I are planning a trip to Disneyland April 28 for 3 days. We are celebrating our daughter's 5th bday, it is her first time. Of course, we want the occasion to be absolutely wonderful.
Any suggestions, ideas or little known Disney-isims would be much appreciated!:wave:

Hi Rebeccah, welcome to the DIS. We have a forum dedicated to Disneyland and I'm going to move this over there for you.

Katholyn

I have stayed at a few of the "Good Neighbor Hotels". My Favorites are the Candy cane inn for its atmosphere inside and out. It is a simple two story motel that was remodeled and nicely landscaped. It has a decent free breakfast and is a 5-7 minute walk to the parks and also has a shuttle. www.candycaneinn.net
I like the Howard Johnson very much too. It doesn't have a theme but is on a nice size chunk of property with pine trees and loads of greenery. The hotel has interior corridors and most rooms have balconies some with awesome views of Disneyland fireworks. Ask for a room away from the freeway! There is no free breakfast here though. The walk to the Park is 7-12 minutes.
The Anabella Hotel was decent. It is three older motels extensively remodeled into one new place with marbled baths and nice decore on the inside and out. It is a bit farther walk.

We've stayed at the Tropicana about a year and a half ago. We'll be staying there again in a couple of weeks when we head back down. Good value, good service. It's a very basic hotel - but clean and not a bad pool. We're hoping it's still good this time, although we've heard it's under external renovations - the internal ones are already complete.

I stayed at the Candy Cane Inn in March 2000 and liked it very much. It was clean and the continental breakfast had a good variety of selections (muffins, bagels, fruit, juice). CCI has their own shuttle which is nice.

In January 2002 I stayed at the Best Western Park Place. This was good for its location, directly across from the DLR entrance. The room was OK, but not great. This property also had a continental breakfast, but it was not very good.

I just returned from a stay at the Howard Johnson. I had read many great reviews about it so decided to try it out (got a great rate of $47/night thru Expedia). It was clean and the staff was very friendly. You can pay for the ART shuttle or walk. We chose to walk as it was a 10-15 minute walk and we didn't have any kids with us. The main pool is being renovated, but they have a second pool which was open. The water was very warm, like bath water, and there were never many people in the pool. This hotel is also next to Mimi's restaurant which we liked very much. Decent prices and very large portions plus the food was very good.

If the CCI and HoJo were the same price, I would pick CCI. However, if I could get a great rate a HoJo again ($60 or less) I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Anabella Hotel (On the back side of DCA, kitty corner from DPP Hotel). This is a recently renovated motel, that is trying to have a hotel feel. We stayed there last year and found it to be very well run and very nice. The rooms were well decorated and very confortable. The 2 rooms that we had each were quiet large.
One with a king and Queen bed and another with a King, sofa and a seperate room with a daybed. Each room had a fridge.
Rooms on the first floor had a small sitting area outside the front door and nicely landscaped. Of course you were looking at your car, parked infront of your room.
Since this was a renovated motels, the walls were quiet thin.. But a nice place. Easy walk to DGC and then to DD or DCA. Offers free Anaheim Shuttle, but walking was much easier.
We got a good rate from their website. $59/night www.anabellahotel.com

Fairfield Inn (Across the street from the main entrance) - This is a very large motel and was very nice. Fridge in the room. This is a marriot chain, so you might find some good discounts. Easy walk to the entrance and the staff was very friendly. Offers free Anaheim Shuttle, but don't know why because the walk was so easy. We stayed there in Dec. Much closer walk than the Anabella, but the room was not decorated as plushly as Anabella. We got an AP rate of $49/night. www.fairfieldinn.com

Both of these had the motel feel (windows facing the parking lot), but definately more upscale. I would recommend either as long as you were willing to walk.

Thank you all for the responses. All in all, it sounds like the Candy Cane Inn is the peoples best choice. From this board and others. I much rather read customers reviews on forums such as these than that of the Hotel/Motels. So THANKS!
:wave:

Last May we stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Park and we loved it so much that we ended up staying longer than we had planned.
It's very tropical, lush with palm trees and such, and the pool is quite lovely -- very important for a family with kids. It the late afternoons and evenings, they had live entertainment by the pool, and they had food service, usually a barbecue type deal. It was a nice break from Disney food when you didn't feel like going back to the park that night and it was reasonably priced.
The rooms were roomy, too. And the staff was very good to us. They also have their own Disney ticket specials and we purchased ours through them (but I can't recall the prices).
It was just a short 5 minute drive to DL. I heard some people walked, but because you have to cross over a freeway overpass we didn't try it.
You can also see a little bit of CA from some rooms, and fireworks!!
The only complaint we heard was that the freeway noise doesn't stop, however it didn't bother us at all.
We belong to the Holiday Inn Priority Club (free) and got a price of $75 a night last year. Kids stay free.
We recommend this place and would stay there again.:bounce:

We have always stayed at the Fairfield Inn. It is clean, friendly, and some rooms have fireworks views from the balcony. The location can't be beat. It is literally minutes to the front gate...faster than the shuttle! We highly recommend it. We will be staying there again in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter