• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good look at Journey to the Center of the Earth from TDS.

Hey neighbor!
Thanks for the great link. Now how am I gonna get to Japan?!;)
The pictures and explaination were great. Sounds like such a cool ride.

Again, thanks for sharing.:wave:

I would rather see this in AK instead of the rumored Reign of Fire roller coaster!! Don't get me wrong, I love roller coasters, but I can find great ones at any number of Six Flags ect. I would rather see Disney concentrate on rides like Journey to the Center of the Earth and let the amusement parks of the world churn out unthemed roller coasters.

Reign of Fire (if anything like the original Dragon Tower concept) looks like a fine e-ticket to me, but I agree, the stuff at TDS just blows about everything else away.

We continue to get rave reviews about this attraction.

After finishing the report my thoughts drifted to DCA. I wonder how that park would have been received if it would have had one attraction of this caliber. Just one marque attraction people are willing to wait in multi-hour lines to experience, and want to ride over and over.

Forget the presence of a visible weenie, I'm referring to an identity weenie. Something the park and its supporters could crow about. Something compelling all its' own that would be the first thing you associate with its name. I bet it would have obscured many of the other park shortcomings and given the place a whole different image.

Soarin is a fine addition to the family, but not cut-out to fill this role. No doubt ToT is an all-time Disney great, but it will soon be just one of many such installations. I wonder if they could do it all again if they wished they'd taken the money they'll spend on ToT, a couple of the PP rides, and kicked in a few extra million to put in one JTCOE, Indy,?? type attraction?

I wonder if they could do it all again if they wished they'd taken the money they'll spend on ToT, a couple of the PP rides, and kicked in a few extra million to put in one JTCOE, Indy,?? type attraction?
NO!!! Of course not!!! It was... it was... ah... the rain (yeah! The rotten weather)... and... the... ah... economy!(yeah that's it! The economy) that caused such a poor showing at DCA! It has nothing whatsoever to do with lousy concept and a lack of quality!! Didn't Ei$ner just say recently that they had the formula for park building down pat? That they now know that they should start off small and grow them over years? Or did he recant and I missed it!!!

I rode this twice, once with a 90 minute wait, and once with FP ( although I waited 35 minutes to get the FP ). It is a very enjoyable ride.....My two fave parts are the lightening storm ( it catches you off guard ) and at the top where you "catch air ". But overall I would not rate it as high as the author. It is well done, but IMHO too short for the time you have to invest into the wait.

I haven't seen him recant, that's why I hope the fifth gate doesn't open in the foreseable future. If it opens while Eisner is still at the helm we will get Florida Adventure! or a off the shelf coaster park. The longer Eisner stays in charge the uglier the Disney properties get. Pop Century Resort anyone......

You guys are being way too harsh on California Adventure. Yes, DCA and DisneySea were developed along different philosophies and using different teams, but the end result is pretty much the same. All this complaining about how much stuff is at DisneySea is just another attempt to find something wrong with Disney and just more Eisner-hating.

Just read the following excerpt from a review of the amazing ‘Orange Stinger’ attraction at California Adventure and see if it doesn't stack up against the review of 'Journey to the Center of the Earth':

----------------------------------------

Walt Disney had a name for the visual icons in his park. The buildings and show elements that defined an area and beckoned visitors to explore the various "lands" of Disneyland were called "wienies."

During the development of the hip and edgy California Adventure, such old fashioned notions were tossed aside. DCA represents as new level of Disney® development – and the ‘Orange Stinger’ attraction is a stunning example of what this modern, updated and cost effective thinking has brought to Anaheim. Long gone are those annoying phony castles, fake rock walls and trees.

‘Orange Stinger’ utilizes the same spinning technology that has been employed by Six Flags, traveling carnivals, state fairs and petting zoos for generations. The difference here is that DCA Designers have been freed of the constraints imposed by imagination, showmanship, quality and effort – and were able to create an experience unlike any that has been seen in a Disney park before.

Loosely based on an experience that occasionally is enjoyable, the ‘Orange Stinger’ attempts to recreate…well, it spins a lot. From the moment that the guests enter the queue from the concrete walkway there are fabulous touches to be found. The way the metal and chain stanchions are sunk into the concrete, to the stunning concrete effect built into the concrete, the view of the towering concrete walls of the Paradise Pier Motel, all leading up to the concrete stairs to the concrete platform.

Without giving away too many spoilers, the preshow builds the excitement of the attraction as the single cast member attempts to determine if the guest is less than 48 inches tall or weighs more than 200 pounds. Lucky guests occasionally get the special treat of watching a family explode in anger that little Johnny is once again too small for ANY ride at DCA.

Guests are then whisked to their individual bucket seats attached to very authentic looking chains. Again, no expense was sparred here to make the ride look as close as possible to every other carnival ride. But those in the know will understand all about the orange scent that used to work or the “bee” coverings that used to be on the chairs. It’s looking for all these little missing touches that makes a repeat visit so interesting. Each trip to DCA is an opportunity to discover something else that has been removed.

SPOILER WARNING – Those of you who wish to experience ‘Orange Stinger’ as a surprise, please skip over this section where we explain the entire ride.

You spin.

END SPOILERS

This attraction truly represents a home run for Disney Accounting. ‘Orange Stinger’ combines an off-the-shelf ride with an extensive creative process that took nearly the entire coffee break. Perhaps the best indicator of how good this attraction is that 15 to 16 guests ride this attraction every day. Some even enjoy it briefly. ‘Orange Stinger’ demands a four shinny penny rating and is a prime example of why Disney’s® California Adventure is the theme park it is today.

----------------------------------------------

So let’s stop all this whining and understand all the good things that Disney still builds.

Originally posted by Another Voice
You guys are being way too harsh on California Adventure. Yes, DCA and DisneySea were developed along different philosophies and using different teams, but the end result is pretty much the same. All this complaining about how much stuff is at DisneySea is just another attempt to find something wrong with Disney and just more Eisner-hating.

Just read the following excerpt from a review of the amazing ‘Orange Stinger’ attraction at California Adventure and see if it doesn't stack up against the review of 'Journey to the Center of the Earth':

----------------------------------------

Walt Disney had a name for the visual icons in his park. The buildings and show elements that defined an area and beckoned visitors to explore the various "lands" of Disneyland were called "wienies."

During the development of the hip and edgy California Adventure, such old fashioned notions were tossed aside. DCA represents as new level of Disney® development – and the ‘Orange Stinger’ attraction is a stunning example of what this modern, updated and cost effective thinking has brought to Anaheim. Long gone are those annoying phony castles, fake rock walls and trees.

‘Orange Stinger’ utilizes the same spinning technology that has been employed by Six Flags, traveling carnivals, state fairs and petting zoos for generations. The difference here is that DCA Designers have been freed of the constraints imposed by imagination, showmanship, quality and effort – and were able to create an experience unlike any that has been seen in a Disney park before.

Loosely based on an experience that occasionally is enjoyable, the ‘Orange Stinger’ attempts to recreate…well, it spins a lot. From the moment that the guests enter the queue from the concrete walkway there are fabulous touches to be found. The way the metal and chain stanchions are sunk into the concrete, to the stunning concrete effect built into the concrete, the view of the towering concrete walls of the Paradise Pier Motel, all leading up to the concrete stairs to the concrete platform.

Without giving away too many spoilers, the preshow builds the excitement of the attraction as the single cast member attempts to determine if the guest is less than 48 inches tall or weighs more than 200 pounds. Lucky guests occasionally get the special treat of watching a family explode in anger that little Johnny is once again too small for ANY ride at DCA.

Guests are then whisked to their individual bucket seats attached to very authentic looking chains. Again, no expense was sparred here to make the ride look as close as possible to every other carnival ride. But those in the know will understand all about the orange scent that used to work or the “bee” coverings that used to be on the chairs. It’s looking for all these little missing touches that makes a repeat visit so interesting. Each trip to DCA is an opportunity to discover something else that has been removed.

SPOILER WARNING – Those of you who wish to experience ‘Orange Stinger’ as a surprise, please skip over this section where we explain the entire ride.

You spin.

END SPOILERS

This attraction truly represents a home run for Disney Accounting. ‘Orange Stinger’ combines an off-the-shelf ride with an extensive creative process that took nearly the entire coffee break. Perhaps the best indicator of how good this attraction is that 15 to 16 guests ride this attraction every day. Some even enjoy it briefly. ‘Orange Stinger’ demands a four shinny penny rating and is a prime example of why Disney’s® California Adventure is the theme park it is today.

----------------------------------------------

So let’s stop all this whining and understand all the good things that Disney still builds.

OMG...too funny.

Didn't Ei$ner just say recently that they had the formula for park building down pat? That they now know that they should start off small and grow them over years?

I know many disagree with this, but I don't think small is the major problem.

Larworth asked a very good question, which for me, boils down to this: Is the major problem with DCA that its incomplete, or that what is there is inadequate?

I don't think incomplete is really the problem. If it were, then we would all be in agreement that just adding more of the same, ala ToT and Flick, would solve the problem.

What if the DLResort 2nd gate had been built with only 8 or 9 attractions, but they were really great, DISNEY attractions. Not all E tickets, but well-themed "shows". And lets say it opened on 10-20% less acreage, but the architecture and landscaping was truly magical.

Would the response have been worse, same or better? I maintain it would have been significantly better, though it would have been clear more would be needed. There might be some tweaking that needed to be done, but not the major overhaul that is needed now. A solid base would have been there, and guests would know it. And provided Disney responded by building on that base, they could have kept guests happy, and probably started a pattern of growth in attendance. All the while getting the revenue stream going...

I think to a certain extent, AK was a better execution of the "small start" strategy. The problem is the expansions were slow to come, and the latest additions are questionable additions at best. But I think the base was there (and still is). Its just that since the base hasn't been built on enough, guests have gotten bored and skeptical. (Though its still a much better park than DCA).

I know many disagree with this, but I don't think small is the major problem.
In a way I’m right with you raidermatt. And I wasn’t really talking about ‘small’ in the context of ‘not enough to do’ (although that is certainly an aspect of the problem). No. I was going for the more esoteric and less tangible. One of philosophy and concept!

I think to a certain extent, AK was a better execution of the "small start" strategy.
Yes!! Very much so. So now the only problem with that park is one of “not enough to do’. So what do they do to correct that problem? Well… of course!! Dinorama!!! And that, once again, points to their misguided philosophy!

This is the primary reason I comment as I do lately. I personally expect attractions like Journey to the Center of the Earth from Disney. Disney raised the bar that high and conditioned me to expect that!

It is hard to adequately describe how detailed and fully themed this area is
Wow, doesn't that just give a person chills!

We are going to Disneyland for the first time this year. I was and still am real excited to see where the magic was born and developed, no question about that. But then there's DCA. Nope, we don't get Journey to the Center of the Earth, we get .... the Orange Stinger. Soarin' and Grizzly River Run look interesting but we also get a VISIBLE roller coaster :eek: , Maliboomer, a giant ferris wheel, a farm, some attractions already in place at WDW and .... the Orange Stinger. I'm going no matter how doubtful I am but this doesn't inspire my usual excitement.

Now, how to get to Tokyo... ;)

Ms. Planogirl – fortunately there is so much to see and do in California that it’s very easy to ignore the carnival that’s been put in Disneyland’s parking lot. In fact, most locals and visitors have been successfully avoiding it for over a year now.

Just remember that Disneyland is a very different experience than WDW. And unlike Mr. Show, please don’t make jokes about our castle.

Baron- Got it. Maybe I'm naive, but I am hopeful that they just let the pendulum swing too far in one direction and will bring it back to where it belongs (if only because they have no choice unless they want to continue to bleed $$$ through mistakes like DCA).

I am growing more skeptical of current management's ability to get it right, especially with statements like Eisner's about having the process down pat. Even if we accept the small start philosophy, it clearly was not executed properly. Hopefully it was just a "positive front".

Since we're hearing that the DCA ToT won't be as tall as the MGM version, does that mean we will soon see cases of tower envy???

Paging Doctor Freud....

I am intrigued by Raidermatt's thoughts.

Are we attracted to a 'new' Disney park because of its ability to take us away, or because of the E-ticket attractions?

On the one hand, I am dying to go to DisneySeas just because of the previews showing the detail that has been placed in its construction. But, in reality, I've got that can't-wait-to-ride-the-E-Tickets attitude that is more of the reason for wanting to go.

As an example, I keep trying to fit in one more trip this year, just because I've been to WDW three times since TestTrack opened, and every time, I have been unable to get on for one reason or another. It is that physical weenie that is beckoning me to return.

In that regard DCA fails for me. It just does not ahve an attraction or theming that makes me want to fight for a trip there.

Anybody else have an opinion? Are we excited about TDS because of the imagineering that went into the design of the park, or are we excited about the E Ticket attractions that are calling us over there.

In that regard DCA fails for me. It just does not have an attraction or theming that makes me want to fight for a trip there.

Isn't it staggering that ANY company, much less the company that literally invented the Theme Park concept, could plunk $800 Million worth of park down onto 50 acres with the result that a Disney Fan could make the statement above?

Aren’t well done “E-Ticket” level attractions a key ingredient by which we’re “taken away”? Lot’s of themeing without any attractions is boring (think about the New York Street at the Studios – lot’s of “themeing” but it’s dead). And attractions without themeing are, well, as thrilling as Six Flags. It’s the combination of the two that make a good Disney park.

At California Adventure, it’s the complete lack of both that’s the problem. Uninteresting locations sprinkled with uninteresting amusement rides.

His Airness, I think AV answered your question pretty well with this statement:

It’s the combination of the two that make a good Disney park.

However, I will say that the more important of the two for Disney is the themeing/show. After all, most of Disney's best attractions are good "rides", but the themeing/show is what makes them popular and gives them longevity.

DCA has one great ride, Soarin'. It has a couple other good rides/attractions, Screamin' and Grizzly Rapids. While these have more detail than you'll find at a Six Flags', they don't have enough themeing/show to meet Disney standards. There some areas of strong themeing around the park, but again, not enough to satisfy the Disney fans. The ride quotient alone is not strong enough to draw those who only care about rides, and the themeing isn't strong enough to bring in those who care mostly about that.

To contrast for a moment, AK has the theme/show, and has some attractions that combine the ride and show very well. Its just lacks enough of these to keep enough people coming back. (Dinorama seems to have kicked up the "good ride" quotient a bit, but not the combo ride/show. (said with the usual disclaimer: I will wait to see for myself before forming definite opinion))

Am I the first to use double parentheses on this board?;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter