Good dining experiences at Hollywood Studios?

Good dining and MGM is pretty much an oxymoron as far as quick service goes. When we visit we usually do SciFi or 50's. Both are infinitely better than any of the QS options and surprisingly the price point isn't that much more

Good dining and MGM is pretty much an oxymoron as far as quick service goes. When we visit we usually do SciFi or 50's. Both are infinitely better than any of the QS options and surprisingly the price point isn't that much more

I love that you're holding it down for "MGM." In my head, you always wear MGM branded clothing there covertly but you have to sneak around cast members because if you're busted they'll kick you out. (Ok, sometimes I go too far with my imagination games.)

We like 50s Prime Time, Hollywood Brown Derby, and Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge. QS is hit or miss there, mostly miss, and many of them keep changing their menus. Backlot Express is OK.

Another vote for Mama Melrose. SciFi's atmosphere is better than the food but still OK to split a lunch or dinner entree OOP.

50's Prime Time Cafe - We go there on every single visit. The fried chicken dinner is great.
The Sci-Fi - It has great atmosphere. In my opinion the food is "just okay". Everyone should go there at least once for the atmosphere. The food was not bad, it just wasn't anything special.
Mama Melrose - We have only eaten there once a few years back and we enjoyed it. We would eat there again.
In a nut shell, I would choose 50's Prime Time for the food or The Sci-Fi for the fun atmosphere with "okay food".

Last edited:
I've only done quick service in the Studios, but really enjoyed Backlot Express last year. The chicken and waffles felt like higher-end fast food. Dug the atmosphere a lot.

Sci-Fi - was great twice but only so-so last trip
50s - only did once in 2013 and was not impressed, but trying it again this trip
Mama Melrose - Did this once a long time ago (want to say 2010-2013) and it was good
Counter service - Mostly yuck, but I do think I may get the chicken and waffles at backlot express this trip. I like the Mickey waffles (I know they are Vadar here, but they taste the same) with jam and the nuggets were ok the one time that I tried them. Also might try the Chili cheese nachos at Dockside Diner. We like nachos and never knew about this.
Booths - Either last summer or the summer before, they had three booth type things down the stairs from Indiana Jones that sold different types of food (reminded me of F&W or F&G booths) that were pretty good. Hoping they bring those back.

Do you or can you make reservations for the lounge at Brown derby?

The lounge is walk-up only. We tried it last summer and absolutely loved it! No wait for a table. DH and I enjoyed some private time with a few cocktails and yummy appetizers. We relaxed and watched the crowds go by. Highly recommend!

We love the Fried Chicken at Fifties---the Shrimp Campanelle at Mama's and the hamburgers at Sci-fi. We were also very fond of the sandwiches at Starring Rolls.

We usually do Prime time every trip, but this trip we are going to try Mama melrose , I heard they have a great steak!

We had one of our best buffet meals at H&V last summer. :thumbsup2

For non buffet, I'd go with SciFi. Great burgers!

Y'all aren't the only ones! We ate there on our last trip and the food was good. Sure, it wasn't anything special but it was yummy. Plus, the character interaction was great. Our kids were 5 & 6 at the time and they still rave about it.

This time we're trying Mama Melrose's with the Fantasmic Dining Package and we're really looking forward to it.

when we went years ago,we went to mama melrosa's and the prime time cafe. i wasnt impressed with the second but i loved the first.

I've been going to the Disney parks for years but I am the least familiar with Hollywood Studios as far as dining. I know Hollywood & Vine is a poor choice, according to Pete. & Usually, my girlfriend and I would just get snacks or a small meal at Starring Rolls, but it is closed now. I was just wondering what are some good places you've eaten at? & price ranges?

We have done Mama Melrose-TON of food for the fantasmic package and good seats; Prime Time- food was pretty good, like the environment and theme; Sci Fi-all we had were milkshakes and an appetizer but the theme was really fun and what we did have was good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter