Good area in San Francisco to stay?

DisneyLover111

Earning My Ears
Union square area?

Fisherman's wharf area?

or where the fancier hotels are?

somewhere else?

What would be the best place to stay if we don't have a car?

thanks

We stayed at the Marriott Fishermans Wharf and prefer staying at the Wharf rather than the city. We had fun taking the tram into the city both day and night and find the city a bit too busy to stay there.

We just returned from a stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Fisherman's Wharf. The location is great. You can walk to two different trolley car lines, buses are one block away. We only used our car to get outside the city.

Here is a link to my trip report if you are interested http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2139877.

We stayed in a family suite that was $187 and slept 6, including a decent complimentary breakfast in the a.m. It seemed like some of the fancier places to stay were downtown if that is what you are looking for.

Good luck with your planning!

We've gotten a good deal at the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf a couple of times, most recently in February. I like it because it has a pool and hot tub, plus it's a very nice hotel. Parking is expensive, so if you're driving, be sure to take that into account.

I prefer to stay in the Union Square area over Fishermans wharf. The rates on the wharf usually run pricier. Also I prefer the shopping/restaurants in the Union Square area. Check out sfmta.com for info on the Muni/cable cars.

We don't know what kind of budget you are on. We could make better recommendations if we knew.

Union Square would put you right in the middle of things if you are going to be getting around without a car. I used to work for that Victoria's Secret in the lobby of the St. Francis Hotel. I loved that hotel for its historical value.

My customers at the Cliff House rented rooms out there when they wanted some place quiet with nice views. The Seal Rock Inn is not fancy, but it was popular with people who wanted to wake up to the sounds of waves. Of course, it also puts you very close to the fog horns too so it is the luck of the draw there. People who wanted to see Sutro Gardens, Legion of Honor, etc. slept up there.

If you want the kind of rooms that you would encounter coming off of an Interstate highway, head over to Lombard Street. It has a bunch of motels all lined up in a row and a couple of diners like Mel's and the International House of Pancakes.

I don't know much about the hotels and motels over on Fisherman's Wharf. My husband's friend used to work for the Sherton, which looked nice enough the brief period that I was in it. All I know is that it is very high traffic in that area. I have never worked over in that area but used to hang out there when I lived downtown. During high tourist season, there are lots and lots and lots of people on the streets day and night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter