• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Golf Cart Paint??

wildernesswookies

Mouseketeer
Hi,
Well, my DH has officially began our golf cart make over. :worship:

Just have a few questions for those of you who have painted your golf cart.

Where did you buy the paint?
What type of paint? Is it auto paint? Did you use a paint sprayer?
Did you sand it prior to painting?
What other process did you do to prepare to paint it?

My DH thinks he knows what he is doing, I am jut trying to get him some ideas. He has some great ideas to tie MICKEY in with it but, first thing is painting it.

Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts or suggestions.

Yes, use automotive paint. Ours was sanded down, primed and painted. It just won't look right if you half a$$ it.

We used enamel, base coat flat. Yes we used a sprayer and all. I have the luxury of having a father that used to do body shop work many a moon ago. We have painted many cars through the years.

Jen is correct! :thumbsup2

DH and I own an automotive painting company. It's a fairly detailed process -- sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding, more priming, base coat, base coat, clearcoat, clearcoat. More sanding and buffing! It looks beautiful when you're done - but you need to be sure you have all the right equipment and supplies (sand paper--different grits, spray guns, thinners and reducers, primer, base coat paint, clearcoat, hardner/activator for the clearcoat).

Or, you can bring it to a company and have somebody do it for you for around $500. (That's usually what we charge for a golf cart). You may end up with about that much into it, doing it yourself anyway! :)

(Disclaimer -- no, I'm not advertising for our business! We live many miles away from OP -- I'm just giving him basic information, lol)

I agree, if your DH is not really doing this as a hobby now, just foot the $500 for the regulars to do it. Like Rhonda said, it is VERY LABOR intensive, and if you have an older cart like mine and run into rust, more labor, sanding, priming, and sanding until you pick primer dust from every part of your body out for about a week. Plus, it is always a good thing to have a paint booth handy to keep pesty insects from flying and trying to fossilize onto your precious paint job.

Just a thought, I was getting ready to paint ours and I decided to go to the local golfcart dealer and ask them. I was able to get a brand new still in the shrink rap black club car body for $300. So I decided to go that route and save the time and money. Unless you are looking for a custom paint or something it might be worth looking into.

Chris

Daddyscooltv is speaking the gospel....its much easier and cheaper to buy a new body...then maybe some graphics (decals) to dress it up....I was going to paint and was informed of the intensity of it and saif HELL WITH THAT!!!!!! I went an even lazier route and bought a full body wrap for mine...but the decalls are even easier than that......heres a couple of recent photos of mine ........
100_3624.jpg

100_3623.jpg

wooo hoooo where did ya find that? I'm sure in the "lookin" mode...buying a cart myslef shortly and would LUV to do something awesome like that....tell me PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Daddyscooltv is speaking the gospel....its much easier and cheaper to buy a new body...then maybe some graphics (decals) to dress it up....I was going to paint and was informed of the intensity of it and saif HELL WITH THAT!!!!!! I went an even lazier route and bought a full body wrap for mine...but the decalls are even easier than that......heres a couple of recent photos of mine ........
100_3624.jpg

100_3623.jpg

I'm lovin it....this may atleast help ease my ride blues...nah...but will make my new ride fun...now I have to decide if I'm doing that or a distheme...been thinkin of getting a HM themed somethin done or PTOC....

I got it from a website with some really nice folks on the other end of the phone....golfcargraphics.com

The cars in the haunted mansion are called DOOM BUGGIES....Ive seen a cart or two with that theme and they were awesome, I havent really seen a PIRATES cart although Ive seen one on here with a "BLACK PEARL" license plate...that's Jack Sparrows ship(black from front to back), but have seen some flying the pirate flag proudly. Stacktester has deemed my cart as THE MUNSTER MOBILE!!!!

I'm lovin it....this may atleast help ease my ride blues...nah...but will make my new ride fun...now I have to decide if I'm doing that or a distheme...been thinkin of getting a HM themed somethin done or PTOC....

I started to do it myself and made such a mess I took it to the cart dealer I bought it from and he had it done for me.

cart308.jpg

Came out pretty good, huh? BDRog called it the mint chip ice cream machine.

The cars in the haunted mansion are called DOOM BUGGIES....Ive seen a cart or two with that theme and they were awesome, I havent really seen a PIRATES cart although Ive seen one on here with a "BLACK PEARL" license plate...that's Jack Sparrows ship(black from front to back), but have seen some flying the pirate flag proudly. Stacktester has deemed my cart as THE MUNSTER MOBILE!!!!

I know the HM rides are called doom buggies....not sure what I want to do with it but it's been on my mind a lot....imagination is such a great thing and I'm enjoying tossing mine around while waiting to get my cart....at one point it was going to be purple with a Tink Theme....but my camper is already Tink themed soooooo Camper with be something else...just haven't decided what yet...Luv the munster mobile...something will come to me when I least expect it...most likely in my dreams as many good ideas do....I've seen the Black Pearl.....it will be different....also seen the Figment Mobile....its nearby but doesn't come to the Fort....owned by a CM who uses it in his own neighborhood....BUT HM and PTOC are my fav rides so unless I go bikerette themed....most likely will be one of those lol

Thanks guys for all the responses! My DH went to get all the paint today and is buying a sprayer. We recieved the lift kit, new tires and the chrome trim today. I will post pictures as soon as it is complete.

Great WWooks....cant wait to see your toy all dressed up!!!!

If any of you are needing a professional help with your custom golf cars!Check out our website proreflections1 and we will be glad to help you there with anything you desire!

Tungpo1 is doing a friends cart right now and it looks hot. He tore it to the frame and is completely repainting it.

EastCoastCarts.com for all of your custom golf cart needs...he rocks, he's reasonable....and he's one of us!!!!!

Oh yeah, and GREAT first post proreflections1....Id like to welcome you to the boards...but it seems as you feel welcome enough already. No "Hello", no "Wow,you guys are a swell bunch"....just strictly business, huh? Yeah....thats a great way to get into someones pocket!!!! Let me know how that works out for ya!

PM me or ring me if anyone needs help i will tell you what you need to get and tech help. Prepping the body is key as well as setting up your gun

Big Daddy...love the cart! Looking to do something like that on mine. How was it putting the skin on? Is it something that can be done in a weekend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter