Golden Forest Room vs Newport Standard Room

Off to Neverland 7

DIS Veteran
Which would you pick?

Golden Forest Room or Newport Standard Room?

The pricing is about the same. I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to choose.

Thanks for asking! That would be a tough call for DW and I. Let's try to list a few advantages for each choice.

First, why we would choose the NPBC:
  • the pool is gorgeous with its indoor/outdoor setup (if weather permits)
  • the Yacht Club restaurant is one of the best table-service restaurant at DLP
  • the NPBC is the last 3+ keys hotel that has been renovated (rooms and corridors)
  • we would rather avoid the pool of the SQL. CMs working there are not on par to Disney's standard of friendliness, plus the water in that pool feels always so cold
Why we would choose the GFC room at the SQL:
  • the bar is splendid, with the fireplace
  • the Hunter's Grill is one of the best buffet restaurant at DLP
  • the SQL has been renovated recently (just before the NPBC renovation took place)
  • there is a lounge with free drinks. There is also free food, but unless it changed since our last visit (over one year ago) it was so bad we would rather pay for something else with better taste

As breakfasts are only free with Club Class that might be a reason to choose SL GF over standard NPC.

As breakfasts are only free with Club Class that might be a reason to choose SL GF over standard NPC.

You are correct, though it might be worth mentionning the quality of the breakfast served at the GFC lounge is way below French standards, even for 3* hotels.
The more you had breakfast in 3*/4* hotels in Europe, the less you might actually enjoy that benefit.

Haha, yes, but assuming you are going to have to get breakfast somewhere in DLP it might as well be free!

I love NBC with a good room but some standard rooms are so far from the main hotel facilities and entrances that it's a real pain. Remember you can reserve and eat at the Yacht Club restaurant even if not staying there and the two hotels are close together.

I'd choose Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest. The Newport Bay is a lovely hotel and I thought that even before it had been refurbished but I'd be wanting to book Compass Club if I stayed there.

And don't forget the hotel Fastpass that comes with a GFC room! If choosing between the two, I'd definitely go for GFC. It's also a shorter walk.

You are correct, though it might be worth mentionning the quality of the breakfast served at the GFC lounge is way below French standards, even for 3* hotels.
The more you had breakfast in 3*/4* hotels in Europe, the less you might actually enjoy that benefit.
Really? I was there in June and quite enjoyed the breakfast

We stayed in the Golden Forest room at the beginning of August and LOVED it! While the physical rooms were nothing special and housekeeping was awful, the perks you get made our trip. I agree the breakfast is not the best quality, but the selection of food I feel made up for it. Everyone in our party got plenty to eat and really enjoyed the nice themeing of the lounge. The free drinks all day and tea snacks in the afternoon were great. The CMs in the lounge were beyond nice and accommodating. Plus the free fast pass everyday was very helpful.

We normally stay in Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest, but we thought we'd try the Newport Bay Compass Club recently. It was nice, but overall we actually prefer the ambience and theme of Sequoia. Its so relaxing - with bird song being piped throughout the resort, a huge and real log fire crackling away in the Redwood Bar, with the smell of firewood through the lobby. Although the club lounge in Newport Bay is beautiful, like a very classy cocktail lounge, the actual lounge setup was superior in Sequoia (far larger serving area, which was less chaotic), though Newport Bay had a slightly 'higher tier' offering food and snack wise. All in all, comparing the two, we do prefer Sequoia - and that's comparing club level to club level. Therefore, if you have a choice of Sequoia club level and Newport Bay standard, then for me, there is no question; you should be staying at Sequoia Golden Forest!

We are staying in a Golden Forest room at SL for the first time in January, but we stayed at NBC in March and although the stay was OK, we all agreed it was actually our least favourite hotel and that we wouldn't want to return. That's very personal of course, but we were unfortunate enough to be put in a room that was as far as possible from reception and it took at least 15 mins - tough going at the end of a long day! The hotel didn't feel as warm to us either as SL, partly due to the theme and partly the size.

Even if you know you like NBC more than we do, I'd still say the breakfast, lounge and fastpasses of Golden Forest would make it more worthwhile!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter