Gold Pass After Leaving DVC

Hendlaw

Mouse Owned
My wife and I are considering selling our DVC contract to pay debt. We plan on coming back at some point but the money is better served in debt retirement for now. My wife has an as-yet unactivated gold pass. What happens to this if we are no longer DVC owners?

They will give you that value of the DVC Gold renewal to be applied to the full cost of a regular AP. Gold is only for Florida and DVC.

Agree. Had a friend purchase Florida resident tickets for herself and daughter - they have a second home in Florida. Got to guest services, only to find out daughter wasn’t eligible for Florida resident ticket (she was an adult with no Florida ID). They gave them a refund of purchase price of the ticket and she had to purchase a regular, full price disney ticket.

So, there is currently no AP for sale. That is a part of the problem.

You own that so you don't need one to be for sale. But when she attempts to activate and they ask for a blue card and you don't have a valid one, they will ask you to pay the difference for whatever AP you choose.

You own that so you don't need one to be for sale. But when she attempts to activate and they ask for a blue card and you don't have a valid one, they will ask you to pay the difference for whatever AP you choose.
But with no APs available for sale, unless you renew or are part of guest recovery, so they wouldn't be able to get a new pass at present, would they?

But with no APs available for sale, unless you renew or are part of guest recovery, so they wouldn't be able to get a new pass at present, would they?

The voucher is an AP pass .just not yet activated.

They only thing they will be required to do is pay the difference to when they do activate it.

Are you able to sell the voucher since it's not yet activated? Or is it tied to a person already like the AP is?

it is a renewal voucher tied to someones AP, not a new one
But the OP says it is an unactivated voucher, not a renewal. I also have an unactivated voucher, not a renewal, that was granted by the recovery team. But, I would guess it is still tied into their MDE account. Mine was tied automatically into my MDE account by the recovery team, no code.

So I'm understanding correctly, a voucher doesn't automatically convert into a redeemed AP when going through a gate after making a park reservation?

So I'm understanding correctly, a voucher doesn't automatically convert into a redeemed AP when going through a gate after making a park reservation?

No, you have to go GS and have it activated before you can go in the park. The voucher does allow for the park reservations, but it will not get you in until you have the voucher turned into the ticket.

In this case, the OP won't be able to produce to blue card to have it activated into a Gold AP, but will have to pay the difference for a regular AP.

No, you have to go GS and have it activated before you can go in the park. The voucher does allow for the park reservations, but it will not get you in until you have the voucher turned into the ticket.

In this case, the OP won't be able to produce to blue card to have it activated into a Gold AP, but will have to pay the difference for a regular AP.

This is exactly why I asked if it could be transferred. If debt reduction is the goal and the OP is sitting on a voucher that won't be usable, it's not as valuable to him. It basically goes from a voucher to a gift card at that point.

But with holds on APs - IF the OP is eligible to transfer it or something, then he/she could potentially sell it at a premium. It would get the OP some additional $ and I'm sure make someone on here who has blue card/eligible quite happy at the same time.

It sounds like we're leaning towards it already tied to an account though, but doesn't hurt to call and ask if its transferable I guess.

This is exactly why I asked if it could be transferred. If debt reduction is the goal and the OP is sitting on a voucher that won't be usable, it's not as valuable to him. It basically goes from a voucher to a gift card at that point.

But with holds on APs - IF the OP is eligible to transfer it or something, then he/she could potentially sell it at a premium. It would get the OP some additional $ and I'm sure make someone on here who has blue card/eligible quite happy at the same time.

It sounds like we're leaning towards it already tied to an account though, but doesn't hurt to call and ask if its transferable I guess.

AP vouchers can be transferred. However, the AP doesn’t just become a gift card. It is still an AP for the OP and they should be allowed to still activate it as such. They will simply have to pay for the cost difference of a regular AP.

With sales suspended, I am not sure it makes sense to try to give it away to someone else vs. keeping it as an AP for oneself.

AP vouchers can be transferred. However, the AP doesn’t just become a gift card. It is still an AP for the OP and they should be allowed to still activate it as such. They will simply have to pay for the cost difference of a regular AP.

With sales suspended, I am not sure it makes sense to try to give it away to someone else vs. keeping it as an AP for oneself.

I think we're saying the same thing. That voucher for the OP can't turn into a Gold AP if they sell. It can only be turned into a credit towards a regular AP. Hence my reference as essentially a gift card.

If the OP is going then I'd agree. It's more valuable to the OP than it is to sell it. But if it's a matter of a debt crunch, it can certainly sell at a premium right now. I'll speak for myself in that I'd gladly pay a 10% premium for that voucher now that sales are suspended. But if sales return, why would I pay the 10% premium when I can get it directly from Disney? So if there is any urgency for debt reasons for the OP it might make sense to get rid of it now than to sit on it for a year or two and convert it to a regular AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter