Gold Country - winter driving conditions

1 goofy family

Mouseketeer
Hi there :wave: . We are driving from Sacramento to Yosemite in a few weeks and I was hoping someone could help with driving advice.

Our plan was to drive along Hwy 49 through Gold Country to Mariposa then on to Yosemite. I went to check the weather in a few small towns along Hwy 49and see that it'll be snowing while we are there. Are tire chains required or recommended as they are when driving in Yosemite? Is this a relatively easy drive or will it be stressful because of the conditions?

We were planning on stopping in Sonora to do our grocery shopping at Safeway and then going on to Mariposa to rent tire chains.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be much about driving this route in winter. Is it because it's not such a big deal or because we're crazy to be wanting to do it??

Usually chain requirements will be posted on Highways and Highways are generally the first plowed. I am not familiar with Hwy 49, I have never driven it myself. Try calling the local Chambers of Commerce, they might be able to help you out. Also you could contact the Ranger stations at Yosemite for further information.
Driving with chains is no fun, it is slow and noisy. They are a pain to get on and off. (I always pay the chain monkeys to put them on and DH usually takes them off) Make sure to have a good pair of gloves with you along with some sort of water proof blanket for kneeling in the snow to get the chains on. Are you renting a 4wheel drive?
If not, insist on whatever you get being front wheel drive. Rear wheel on the snow/ice is the worst.
If you get 4wheel, remember it gives you traction but you can't stop any sooner or better than someone with 2 wheel drive.
Happy planning

Thanks so much for all the advice! I rented a Ford Expedition, I'm not sure if it's 4WD or 2WD, they don't specify on the website. I'm going to contact the CC like you suggested, especially with all this bad weather. Thanks again!

Hwy 49 does not generally require chains outside of Yosemite but it's one scary road to drive on. At least I think so. It's very twist and turn with a steep drop off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter