Going with the Floe: Arctic Expedition Cruise July 10, 2023

Interesting you went north as well immediately.... the map from the ABD site did show the ship going south, but I wonder if it just didn't work out in either of our cases.
I recall the Captain saying weather going south did not look good as lots of rain in the forecast for our time, which is why they decided to head north. We were fortunate with no rain during our Arctic time.

I"m sad to see the trip come to an end. It's sounds fabulous! And I agree about the naturalist--that is sad. They should have said something before hand about employees/contractors.

Sounds like quite the amazing last day! The sky at 10:34pm looks *much* brighter than when we had sunset at 11:15pm in Alaska! And watching whales from your cabin sounds truly fabulous!

Sayhello

July 18th/Day 9: Seed All About It
Anyone who has ever cruised knows the feeling that comes on debarkation day... we had until 8am to get out of the room. We were told to have any luggage we did not want to hand carry outside the stateroom door before 6am, though we did not want to wake up THAT early, so we had ours out the night before and did a luggage shuffle when we got to the airport.

One last view of the route we'd taken over the last week...

1.jpeg

Plus the sheet of all the animals that had been spotted -

2.jpeg

We asked if we could take the small sheet that was hanging of our route with this one, but never heard back... hopefully it found a nice home. It was not nearly as elaborate as the big one that had been raffled off, but maybe it stays with the ships' log or something.

Breakfast was served the same as any other day, up until 9am. We tossed out the four groups as well and were absorbed into three this time, leaving the ship in 15 minute waves from 8:30-9am, so really everyone was done before 9. We then jumbled back into the lounge on 3 one last time until our time to depart and board the bus. On the way out crew and naturalists lined the gangway to say goodbye. Our time in Longyearbyen was very short indeed this time... we had just enough time to drive back up the hill overlooking the airport to the seed vault.

3.jpeg

Once there we skittered across the road where some informational signs are posted.

4.jpeg

They are all lined up in a nice row, and then down the path a little ways we were able to just get close enough to knock. No one answered.

5.jpeg

From here we wound our way back down the hill and were able to see our plane arrive and fly over us. :) We did have a little wait before our 2:30 departure at the oh so small airport, but there was a small store to purchase any last minute souveniers or a snack if you wanted. The guides also broke out their trusty snack box... only the second time it was needed on this trip..!

6.jpeg

And away we went... taking one last look at the snow while heading back to a little more July-like weather!

7.jpeg

Once again the inflight meal was not too shabby for cold cuts!

8.jpeg

We did have one last present/surprise added as well... the guides used the flight time to share the slideshow and their pictures with us. Included amongst those memories Joe Rhode had agreed to share of all his sketches during the trip; just under 30 of them! They were included along with the pictures we received at this time. How kind was that..?! :sad:I am not sure I'd ever get the opportunity again, but if he is ever once again on a trip we want to go on anyway I am booking that trip just as fast!

Uneventfully we were suddenly back in Norway proper where greenery and sunshine were awaiting us.

9.jpeg

From here Damien made a beeline through security and to the metro to race us to the Grand Oslo hotel where his mission was to get as many check-ins as possible! The rest of us slowly made our way to the buses and back into the underground tunnels towards the hotel at a more leisurely pace.

Once there we met up with a very sweaty Damien and... it was time to say goodbye, period. As our guides were off to other trips in the morning they all had to leave very early, so they would not be seeing us again at all. Tonight was always bound to be OYO, but I admit this was a little jarring. I wanted to tell Damien, Tiffany and Doug what they've heard a million times but there was just no time. Kira somehow was lost in the shuffle even though we were there for a week... I am sure she is lovely as well, but we just never ended up speaking to her for more than a moment at a time. I feel like I missed out...

I managed a side hug with Damien, and a proper hug with Tiffany in the middle of the jumble but then we were all alone again for the rest of our adventure.

We were able to go straight up to our room which was MASSIVE compared to our last room, BUT it had black mold on the ceiling by the A/C vent. I was pretty put off by it, but it was pretty far away from our bed so we decided to suck it up for the night. It was more important to have a place to leave our luggage than risk not having another room ready. I apparently was so cranky I neglected to take any pictures, but it had a sitting room as we entered, a full bathroom to the left, then a little hallway and another bathroom and bedroom at the end. There was no view, and if I was paying cash there is NO WAY I would have accepted the mold, but we made do. We paid the ship fees for laundry as I was still mildly shook by just how bad using the laundromat had been on the way out, so we were good there and had nothing in mind for the evening. After a little break we went out in search of dinner, and ended up having a nice sushi meal at a place called Uchi. The 20-somethings and a few others went out to a Tiki bar for dinner but we declined, as we needed to shuffle all our luggage around again for the third phase of our trip - a long weekend in Iceland!

Tomorrow was the "last day" of the tour, though honestly today may as well have been... I have very few notes on it.

10.jpeg

Last edited:

July 19th/Day 10: Farvel
I'm sure other trips do the same, calling it a day when it's kind of not... but then I guess we DID get breakfast included and a drive to the airport, so I suppose fair is fair. :)

I was completely tickled the night prior to have an actual sunset! It had been a crazy number of hours since the sun had gone down, so when it happened it felt amazing... the sun was down for six whole hours! We also did not have an early flight the next day, so we were able to laze around a bit before heading down to the buffet. Depending on your flight time you could be on your own in a taxi or on a bus. There were a few other groups on our same Iceland Air flight so we ended up in a little van which picked us up at 10:45am for a 1:45pm departure. On the way we tried to convince one of them that it really was an 8 hour flight from Reykjavik to Portland but he was not having it since it was a similar time to his home on the east coast... I wasn't quite sure what to say if he thought they were lying to us! :laughing:

IMG_9508.jpeg

If you are just here for the ABD portion, thank you so much for following along, we are at the end! :) I do hope this trip comes back in some form as it was really fantastic, but even if it doesn't I think you would have an excellent time booking a similar itinerary with Ponant directly, or even a different company. While the ABD touches were lovely and impactful, they are not a dealbreaker to the beauty of a place, nor were they able to command animals to show up. Luck is luck, no matter who guides you there! All I would want to be assured of is there is SOME kind of entertainment that speaks to you for the extra hours onboard. If you are OYO people then you're set and can go with anyone. I do find personally that I like having at least the option of guided events and things when we drop a lot of money on a trip... Kyle is happy to have lots of downtime but I get antsy. Having a group of folk to not feel out of place with if I am solo is precious. If I am just sitting waiting for things to happen there are cheaper more enjoyable ways for us to do that, such as pick a hotel and go, which is what we are doing next!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here we helped a couple of older folks navigate the airport once we got there as we were well and truly on our own now, and had enough time to find lunch. There were tons of options but I guess I hadn't had enough fish yet as I went with a poke bowl... I'd never had quinoa instead of rice nor pomegranate in one before but they were both delicious in there so I'm on the lookout....

IMG_9509.jpeg

One of the downsides of the trip (if you can call it that...) was that it was only Wednesday and the ABD was over. We didn't want to rush home to just work two days! So we'd decided to head to Iceland with its free stopover and not head homeward until Sunday. Yes, I'm going to be selfish again and wrap up this trip report with POST days! HAHAHAHA.

When we arrived we picked up our rental car without hassle and headed out on an extremely, stupidly, laboriously long drive into the Westfjords~! We landed at 2:45 (yay timezones) so knew we'd be reaching our hotel at around 10pm. No time to waste...! Oh, and by the way apparently a volcano had started erupting...

IMG_9515.jpeg

But no matter... we were going far, far away from where it would be. I was a little sad we'd been on the wrong side of the plane to see it - this was honestly the best shot we got. Before too long we stopped for dinner as well; there was a pizza place on the way that we were passing called La Colina.

IMG_9521.jpeg

There were only a few other patrons in the restaurant but that was typical for everywhere we went on this trip.... food is notoriously expensive in Iceland (and was as well in Norway for that matter but this was even higher still as the portions were small).

IMG_9523.jpeg

We got their signature Colina for 2700 krona, or about $20. Beer and a glass of wine were each another $8... which isn't bad, but we did leave a little hungry still as the crust as you can see is thin and crackery. We had brought an abundance of Kvik bars and granola bars from earlier in the trip to fill in the gaps where we needed, so it was fine.

Back to the road where we drove... and drove... and drove. It is absolutely gorgeous countryside and there were hardly any cars out here which was a little eerie but also nice to not be in traffic.

IMG_9526.jpeg

Suddenly the road turned into gravel and was that way for almost 30 km.. which slowed us down considerably! We thought it would never end... until it did, then it switched back to gravel again in bits as we continued to head north along gorgeous fjords. Kyle was an absolute champ and ended up driving the entire way by himself - I have to admit he does have more experience on gravel than I. His hobby was driving a rally car for a few years before we met. He continued for awhile longer when we were dating, but it ended as it always does... with a crash and totalled car. Rather than sink more money into a dangerous hobby he left it behind and I try not to think about the crash when he is driving highway speeds on curvy gravel. Eventually we found our hotel way up in Flateyri. This location was as strategic as we could find for our excursion the next day out of Ísafjörður.

IMG_9528.jpeg

The "country hotel" has a mere 11 rooms and it seemed at least most were occupied during our stay. Though we arrived closer to 11pm they knew we'd be checking in late, and had left a note and keys for us at the front desk.

IMG_9530.jpeg

We were back to basic rooms from here on out; a bed, a shower, and that's about it, except for these views...! No, not of Kyle trying and failing to hide out of view... these ones:

IMG_9537.jpeg

This was a gorgeous location and I don't regret staying here though I'm not sure what would ever bring us back to such a remote place.

IMG_9536.jpeg

Not bad for almost 11pm..! We were further north again I guess as the sun was still up... "night" was a mere five hours which was just as well, as we needed to be up extra early for our next best chance at seeing arctic foxes!

Last edited:
Ok, now you're just teasing me. I've had 2 trips planned for the Westfjords that were both canceled. One by the pandemic and one by high winds the day we were supposed to travel. We made it as far as Flatey Island on the ferry. I could see the Westfjords, but we had to turn around and go back to Snaefellsnes. So close, yet so far!

That is a LONG drive in one day.

I remember our guide in Finland said the summer midnight sun makes everyone a little bit manic. They all get super social, and go out visiting in the wee hours of the night.

Pretty much all of the ABDs end that way. Breakfast and a ride to the airport, where you are then on your own. It *is* kind of a sad way for the trip to end! Although on *most* ABDs, the Adventure Guides are there in the morning to wish you a Bon Voyage (and some even head to the airport with you if they're flying out, also).

My first trip to Iceland was an Iceland Air stopover, also, but I was WAY more conservative than you guys, and stayed in Reykjavik and traveled by bus, and did a Golden Circle tour as well as exploring Reykjavik itself. You guys are very brave/adventurous!!

Looking forward to your reports on the Westfjords. I haven't made it there yet.

Sayhello

Ok, now you're just teasing me. I've had 2 trips planned for the Westfjords that were both canceled. One by the pandemic and one by high winds the day we were supposed to travel. We made it as far as Flatey Island on the ferry. I could see the Westfjords, but we had to turn around and go back to Snaefellsnes. So close, yet so far!

That is a LONG drive in one day.

I remember our guide in Finland said the summer midnight sun makes everyone a little bit manic. They all get super social, and go out visiting in the wee hours of the night.

That is such bad luck, I'm sorry! That happened to us on our Norway cruise some years ago; it was too windy to use the docking arm and so we sailed up towards Geiranger... and right back out again. :(

Pretty much all of the ABDs end that way. Breakfast and a ride to the airport, where you are then on your own. It *is* kind of a sad way for the trip to end! Although on *most* ABDs, the Adventure Guides are there in the morning to wish you a Bon Voyage (and some even head to the airport with you if they're flying out, also).

My first trip to Iceland was an Iceland Air stopover, also, but I was WAY more conservative than you guys, and stayed in Reykjavik and traveled by bus, and did a Golden Circle tour as well as exploring Reykjavik itself. You guys are very brave/adventurous!!

Looking forward to your reports on the Westfjords. I haven't made it there yet.

Sayhello

Yes! Having them milling about would have worked far better... the rush to get everyone keys and check in was really hectic. There was simply no way to properly say goodbye to anyone when 134 guests needed to do so at the exact same time. We are either brave or foolhardy... I *think* it is likely the former, as we are at least going with a tour group to the snow and ice festivals in Hokkaido this February at least! Not even we are brave enough to drive in Japan, on the wrong side of the road, in a very wintery landscape, where there could be storms. We have our limits! :)

July 20th: We Sure Aren't on ABD Anymore...

Several years ago we had stopped over in Iceland on the way home over new years' and only had a few nights in winter to explore... which meant we did not get very far at all. Our only real goal had been to see the lights if possible (check), and we traveled only as far as Víkurfjara to the south east back then. This time we did some research on things to do in the summer time and very quickly discovered a tour to see Arctic foxes up in the westfjords. The nature reserve there has been uninhabited since 1952 and reachable only by ferry - its name is Hornstrandir. It is known for bird cliffs, being able to hike for days and see no one else... and arctic foxes.

To be honest... this is quite literally the only reason we went there specifically, and we were a little dubious. The tour was expensive, has very little information about it, and the reviews are very middle ground. All we really knew is we MIGHT see foxes, we would definitely have to take a long ferry ride each way, and even though we found a couple of different sites selling the tour we were fairly certain there was really only one option. We thought about trying to do it on our own, but knew the guides knew where the foxes are, and we very worried about using the ferry, as the site for that was not intuitive and it is not on a strict schedule. It is so not on a schedule that two days beforehand the tour company - Borea Adventures - sent us an email letting us know the 9am pickup would now be 8am, and could we please be there at 7:45am? On the day of as we waited for the ferry we just kind of waited and waited for it to show, also. We knew around when it would be there, but until the ferry rounded the corner and we were within radio distance it could be anytime. Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. :)

We woke up very early indeed to shower, and make the short drive over to Ísafjörður with a quick stop for coffee and a pastry. Their office is a couple blocks away and while they do have a little parking lot behind it seems it is open to everyone and we were very lucky to grab the last possible spot. Had we known, we would have just parked at the dock, but their instructions say the office is here. We knocked on the door only to be told to head down that way anyway... we also saw this sign and were happy we'd booked ahead of time!

1.jpeg

Once we got to the dock we were able to check in and they did have a restroom available there if anyone needed one. In addition to our group of ten there were a couple of other tours running to differnet places as well that also use the ferry. We had to fill out a liability waiver, met our guide for the day - a UK girl just out of college - and then were allowed to board. The ferry has room to walk around the ship, and a good amount of seating but they do take on more passengers than there are seats, just FYI! Not to worry on the way out though - most wanted to be standing outside to enjoy the scenery. We were lucky enough to be circled by puffins fishing for their breakfasts.

2.jpg

We also scored in that we were the first stop, so after about an hour we were collecting our belongings and ashore! The dock on this side is MUCH smaller... they replaced it recently with a floating one but some were muttering that they did not think it would last very long with the harsh winters. There was a line of filmographers waiting to board here with lots of equipment - I would not be surprised if they were the reason we had to move our departure up an hour.

3.jpeg

Once on shore we were immediately besetted upon by flies. They did not seem to bite... much... but they did really enjoy being on our faces and necks. They were fierce and numerous enough that no one dallied long enough to read the informational signs... we booked it! As we left the beach and walked towards the farmhouse, which would be our base for the day, the flies did get much better. There was another restroom here for anyone who needed one, and we were allowed to leave any items we did not want to hike with as well. The farmhouse was the old doctor's residence, and provides a place to rest and get a quick meal for the campers and hikers in the area.

After everyone was situated it was time to head out! I kept my eyes peeled for any animals, but mostly foxes, and there were certainly signs they were around. We found some scat, some footprints along the shore, and leftovers of some of their meals. The scenery here was just lovely as well - we wound our way for a few miles.

4.jpeg

By this point we could tell our guide was either ambivalent or green... we mostly chatted with the other guests. She would point out a plant or two, but mostly just led the way, and even admitted she was getting in 'the zone' and didn't notice when folks were falling behind. I think she may have been a little disappointed in our pace as we clearly did not get as far up the cliffs as she would have liked before someone misstepped and fell into mud and needed a breather. Thankfully this time it was not me!! :)

On the way back she asked if we would rather go back the way we came, or cut through the vegetation back to the house. The way she asked made it sound like the latter would be a better way to go - and I hadn't seen foxes yet anyway so I was keen on getting a different view - so into the brush we went! And it went fine... at first. She had said she would stick to the dry areas but it very soon became apparent that she meant try to. We all assumed there would be a few wet spots as there had been on the hike so far but instead we found ourselves up to our ankles in water. Anyone who did not have tall shoes was a goner and we soon discovered that Kyle's shoes were leaking as well. Which, to be fair, was not her fault. No one was very amused though as she once again was far ahead of us all slowly picking our way behind her - there was much grumbling, and not only from us. It was extra irksome having just left ABD where the guides really have a knack for watching out for you. I just can't seem them taking a group through a field without the foresight of what would happen next... we honestly had assumed she would not march us into a marsh. But march she did... Once we were back at the farm house a few people changed socks if they had them and laid their shoes out in the sun to try and dry as best they could.

5.jpeg

Inside the house was pretty neat, as it had some old timey doctor tools and bottles and things decorating the space. Though there were many tables the guide had us all sit outside for a snack of a crepe-like pancake and coffee. That was it for lunch... ^^; We had been prepared for a very small meal based on reviews we had read and had brought more food, but it was honestly enough since we'd had pastries just a few hours prior.

By now the sun was starting to break through the clouds and we started out on hike #2 the other way along the shoreline towards an old whaling station. Here saw several seals sunning themselves on rocks and continues to keep our eyes peeled for foxes.

6.jpeg

This afternoon hike was MUCH easier and more pleasant than the morning one, if only because we had a definted landmark we were headed to. At least that always helps ME on hikes, haha! Before I knew it we had arrived and went closer for a better look.

7.jpeg

Eventually our guide would tell us a tiny bit of the history of the place - just that it was a whaling station, then a cannery for herring, and then they used that up too before abandoning it - but that had to wait.

8.jpeg

Do you see? I admit we did not - the guide had to show us - but we had no idea they would be here and yet she did, the cheater. ;)

9.jpeg

Someone found a sun spot...!

She said there were five cubs though we only spotted two or three... this little cutie woke up before too long and retreated further into the rubble, so we aren't sure if one we spotted later was the same or another one.

10.jpeg

This one came out from a cement block while the other was snoozing so it was definitely two at least! Look at that little tail! <3

I have zillions more pictures as we stayed here quite a long time.. long enough for even I to get a little antsy and walk all around the ruins. Our guide sat down by the shore and occassionally would tell people who wandered by her we might want to back off from them as Mom and Dad hadn't shown up and may be stressed out. But she didn't actually make any moves to leave. I sat for a bit and grew bored and kept wandering around, eventually making my way back to them as there was nothing else to do. After a very long time, we hiked back out the way we had come to the farmhouse.

Once there, even though some of us had asked about sitting inside, we sat at the same table outside so I never did get much chance to look at everything inside the house. They served a very delicious fish stew, and hearty brown bread with lots of butter which wasn't a big meal, but was very good and hit the spot. It was the best one I'd had, and I did keep an eye out for other versions over the next couple days but didn't find any to beat it. Or maybe that is the hiking talking. After dinner we sat... and sat... and sat. Eventually some folk who knew our guide came by and she went to talk to them instead.

At around 5:15pm we finally saw the ferry round the corner and packed up to head to the dock. The tide had changed by now, so we were not able to use the actual dock at all and had to tender to the ferry instead in small groups which took quite awhile. Once onboard we managed to find seats back at the table where we'd sat on the way out and I admit I had hoped we were the last stop as the boat was already quite full by this point but we ended up having several more stops on the way.

We saw a few whales in the distance on the trip, but mostly it was a long, cold, journey for a tired group of folk. We'd all gotten along very well while hiking; and even had the guide take a group photo, but no one wanted to talk now, we just wanted to be home, as did all the other people in the other groups. We ferried.. and ferried.. and ferried for 2.5 hours right up until just after 8pm. I don't even know where we went that it took that much longer than the way out! Overall I can't say we are sad we took the tour; I'm glad we did, as we got what we wanted out of it. I think we did well to be prepared for the things that may have surprised us ahead of time, aside from the wet shoes. Without that mistake we'd have been very happy indeed, but between that and the extra long ferry on the end... I'd just go with we got our money worth. The tour was supposed to be 9am to 7pm and instead was 8 to 8:30... we were beyond tired at this point... and now a wee bit peckish...

But thankfully Ísafjörður had a brewery very close by that was open late, so we headed to Dokkan Brugghús to sample. We ordered a taster tray which was mostly wins, and a few mehs, and some fries to share. They had many different types of sauces to try, some of which we'd never had, so we made sure to get the one's I'd never heard of. My favorite was some icelandic 'salad sauce' that was similar to, but not quite, some delicious abomination between tartar & ranch. I almost bought a bottle but rarely eat fries at home, anyway, so we did not. Our luggage was already starting to feel quite heavy this far into our trip to boot. I was still carting a large bottle of olive oil from Greece! Maybe next time I'll seek it out...

After our late snack we went straight back to the hotel and went to bed - this was the last organized activity of the trip, from here we returned to our almost aimless wanderings.

Last edited:
Good for you! Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. I'm glad you saw what you came for, and the tour wasn't horrible!

Sayhello

July 21st: A day for rambling
Having fulfilled our hopes and dreams of seeing an arctic fox (again) we were able to take the next two days as they came. We'd marked off several stops today that we hoped to get to, which included bird cliffs and another chance for foxes, but Kyle was more interested in puffin pics now. We settled into a more laissez faire attitude which was for the best as we bit off almost more than we could drive again (even with the oh so long day). We packed up yet again, and set out at 9am. We had not gotten gas the night prior, so we had to backtrack a little bit to fill up in Ísafjörður before heading south. A day or two later the Disney Dream would miss their call on this town due to construction at the pier I guess, but I admit we had not noticed anything going on when we were here, so I am not sure what was up with that. That is the problem with cruising... you can't ever be sure you won't miss a port for one reason or another!

After an hour drive our first proper stop of the day was a classic - Dynjandi! Before you get to it - the largest waterfall in the westfjords - you must climb past five other waterfalls. There is a nice large parking lot here with restrooms and buses do come here as well, so it can be a little crowded.

1.jpeg

Not all the tourists make it up to the top with the majority stopping once the paved paths stop, so it was only us and a few other folk at the grandest of them all.

2.jpeg

You can go on the little cliff to the left and get right up at the water if you like, though it does get a little slippy. After we had our fill of waterfall pics we headed off to our next stop which was another hour and a half away...

3.jpeg

Yep, a really old, really rusty abandoned ship! Whats not to like..? Hey where are you all going...? :laughing:

3.5.jpg

This is the oldest steel ship in Iceland, built the same year the Titanic sank, and was purposely left as a historical reminder and tourist attraction. Though the signs clearly say do not enter....

4.jpeg

You can easily get in through a hole at the back. There are many pictures of folk up at the helm, so I was tempted to head in (thus this picture) but I soon decided I'd gone far enough, and that the folk who made it up top must have done so years ago when it was less tetanus-y. As we walked away the family who arrived after us was bouncing around happily on the deck though, so what do I know about structural integrity and acceptable risk? ;)

At this point it was already 12:30pm and we had to make a final decision about timing for the rest of the day. Ultimately we were winding towards the bird cliffs at Latrabjarg Peninsula, though we knew the best viewing would be as they came back in the evening... which for us would be hours and hours from now. The only way to make it work would be to arrive "hours and hours from now + four more hours" to get to our next hotel. We could do this, and had Kyle stood his ground this was our original plan, but thankfully for us both we'd seen foxes and were at this point OK with seeing some puffins and not a whole horde of puffins. Travel fatigue is real... you should see my 'theoretical Disney in July trips' vs 'actual Disney in July' trips after we come home.

On our way now was Hnjótur Museum which had a cafe so we decided to get hot beverages so I could use their restroom. Outside they have old boats and planes decomposing away as part of their offerings, and they do have a smallish indoor museum as well dedicated to items the owner has collected from all over Iceland. We briefly considered paying the fee for the museum but ended up not... the menu here was tiny but our appetites were sparked when we saw they had a couple of different sandwiches. They did not have soup, or bagels, or anything else that online menus had said they had... and they were out of one kind of sandwich to boot. So in the end we both took toasted ham and cheese, though he said they would take awhile to be ready... fine with us. I shopped around their little store and found a couple of cute souveniers, and we sat by the window sipping hot chocolate and coffee until the sandwiches were ready. Another family came in and were told they'd just sold out (sorry!) of sandwiches so they got a few candy bars and drinks instead. They amounted to a smallish croissant with a slice of ham and cheese apiece but they were warm and tasty, and did the trick! Onwards to the cliffs!

Once again we hit long, gravelly roads that slowed our progress, but out little econobox did well, and we could not be deterred by large, pointy rocks. Well... my husband couldn't. I might have had a harder time, but again, he has experience with this sort of thing. It was worth the Indiana Jones' ride-esque swaying and bumping to get here.

7.jpeg

There were indeed many, many birds here (not as many as we saw at the cliffs on our ABD, but enough, trust me) but only a handful of them were puffins. We had to peek over the edge - safely and behind the rope! - to see their orange beaks.

6.jpeg

They were very comical taking off and landing with their feet spread wide, and we saw them hop into their nests as we walked along the cliffs.

IMG_9606.jpg

With his long lens Kyle was able to get some very nice shots.

8.jpg

20230721-4F7A0828.jpg

Last edited:
Continued - July 21st: A day for rambling

The 10 pic limit continues to frustrate... ;)

We stayed at the cliffs as long as we liked, and then drug ourselves back to the car for the four hour drive to our next guesthouse. Food options once again were abysmally limited. If we waited until we were in town near our lodge, it would be too late but out here we were looking at either expensive and just OK restaurants in hotels, or trying to grab a bite quickly at another coffee shop before they closed. I picked the most convenient one with the best rating about an hour and a half away - Gamli bærinn kaffihús.

1.jpeg

Had we been here earlier or more inclined to delay our arrival to a warm bed past 9:30pm we could have taken a nice hike, but once again our plan was in and out. The cafe was upstairs on this house, and once again was deserted with a very limited menu. They had hot beverages, a couple types of cake, one type of sandwich - again cheese and ham - and, to Kyle's delight, waffles.

3.jpeg

Nothing fancy about sandwiches here... you get the sandwich itself, with nothing more, just as with my lunch. I was worried it would not be enough food, but as we spent most of the day sitting anyway it worked out. At any rate it was again warm and very tasty... curse my American appetite!

The person who was running the cafe had seemed to be going about normal life and had to stop all that for us which did make us feel a little guilty... she had been sitting here knitting sweaters which they also sell.

2.jpeg

Lots of shops seemed to do this as a side hustle and while I wouldn't have minded a new sweater, trying to find one that would fit in colors I liked seemed too daunting to even try. Properly fed for the day, we continued our drive and made it to the Castle Guesthouse in Búðardalur. This was about as far away from the airport as we were willing to be on our last day. They have a few little stand alone cabins you can rent in addition to the normal rooms in the main building and a very nice old dog who we were able to give happy pats.

4.jpeg

Inside was very efficient, it had everything we could need and then some as we did not need the kitchenette at all. We were always out on the road during mealtimes, and its not like groceries are much cheaper than our small quick meals were. All food is spendy in Iceland, cooked or otherwise!

5.jpeg

It does seem like a lot of luggage to look at it..

6.jpeg

My only defense is we were on day 21 of 23 and had just about all our souvenirs at this point hauled along with us in addition to those two large Ponant parkas. My only complaint is that it was a little hard trying to make the room dark here... the curtain rods stuck out away from the windows so we had to cobble together solutions to block out the light leaking from the sides. The included breakfast was nice and expansive here... they had a spread of meats and cheeses, breads, jams, yogurts, cereals, hard boiled eggs and hot drinks. It was left out in the kitchen so you could just go in and help yourself.

Tomorrow was our last full day, so we are really close to wrapping this one up!

Great puffin shots! And that waterfall!! Iceland is so waterfall-friendly!

You so should have gone lopapeysa shopping! The hand-knit ones are so much better than the machine-knit ones sold in a lot of the stores. I got mine because none of the machine-knit sweaters in one shop fit or was what I wanted, and the saleswoman went in the back & pulled out one she'd just finished knitting, and I *loved* it! I guess it's a more common side-hustle than I knew!

Sayhello

Loving the westfjords report! I love sweaters, and grew up in Upper Michigan but moved to Texas in high school. I still have sweaters I haven't worn since then. I have to hold myself back every time I see one of those Icelandic sweaters. I settled for a beanie.

I'll add for anyone else planning a Westfjords trip: most recommend a car with high clearance for all the gravel roads in the Westfjords and to add 30+% to any google maps drive time due to the condition of the roads.

I was in Iceland in May with 2 adult kids. We brought a soft side cooler and ate out of it for many meals. I kept meticulous count of what we spent (not my usual style!) and I was shocked at just how much money we saved. Even when most of our "eating out" meals were at small cafes like you did, it was still probably 5X+ more expensive to eat out.

No judgement on your trip, as at the end of 23 days, you do what you got to do! But for anyone planning, it's a tip.

July 22nd: Scenery and animals... yet more scenery and animals..!

Let's be honest, it was always about the scenery and animals; being our last day changes nothing. :) We awoke and enjoyed a very nice included breakfast spread in their little kitchen/greenhouse attached to the main building. It took me a bit to find the yogurt as they hadn't put it in a serving bowl... it was not until I saw someone pour it from a quart gable carton that I realized that is how they package it here! Our first stop were the cliffs at Gerðuberg.

1.jpeg

There isn't much I can say... folk come and hike along the top and bottom a bit, and we did make sure to go right up to the cliffs though it was a bit of bouldering to get there. Had there been less flies we may have stayed longer but they were... bugging... us, so we took our pics and continued on our way. Kyle had decided he had not gotten quite good enough shots of puffins, and there was a very cute lighthouse and trails I was eager to get on but first we wanted to stop in Grundarfjörður for lunch and pics of Kirkjufell Mountain.

On the way we passed by a cute hotel/coffeeshop and suddenly a hot cocoa sounded good so we made a pit stop at Rjúk Andi.

2.jpeg

Who could blame them? Sadly none were there when we were.

Our next pull off was for views of the mountain; there was a car park across the water - had we more time or inclination we could have hiked up to its peak, but we strolled around the shore here instead goofing around with pictures until it was time for lunch.

5.jpeg

We had enjoyed the "Icelandic" hotdogs on board Le Boreal so much that I was hankering for more, so we checked google maps for them and settled on Maestro. I chose one with Doritos (no pain no gain) and can't remember what Kyle got, but both were great! I easily could have eaten a second but that's just the way my meals in Iceland had been... always leaving me a little hungry.

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

It's really not a LOT of food... or maybe I'm a glutton. ^^;

We drove on, and on... and once again the pavement gave way to gravel which slowed us a fair bit. We passed a viking grave that we would stop at on the way back, and finally made it to our orange beacon:

6.jpeg

Sadly we saw no puffins nesting as we had before. There were some birds circling.

9.jpeg

We soon realized also this group had spotted something else...

7.jpeg

Whales! They were very very far away, but we could juuust make them out. Compared to how spoiled we were in Svalbard there was no comparison, but it was fun watching them swim also. After they slowly moved even further away I turned my attention to groups of birds out at sea... there wasn't anyone interesting around the lighthouse sadly. After awhile I managed to spot two more puffins out there!

8.jpeg

Having had my fill of specks I decided to go for a walk along the trails off into the distance for a bit.

10.jpeg

July 22nd cont:
This was a nice place to just stroll around, with hardly anyone at all. Here and there were reminders of how cruel the weather can be as things definitely take a beating...

11.jpeg
There was also a fair bit of cast away items from long ago on the shores.

12.jpeg

From the other side we could see far more birds - the fish must like this area better. Behind the flocks I could find little pods of more puffins filling their beaks as well.

13.jpeg

The area we wandered through was home to sheep as is so many acres of land on Iceland. During our walk we had to be careful lest we step in something we'd rather not.

14.jpeg

On the way back we found something interesting...

15.jpeg

The hole is larger than it appears - I was able to walk down to the well at the end of the passage here, though you could not pay me enough to actually drink from it, they do make it sound tempting...

16.jpeg

By the time we got back to the lighthouse we found our way blocked by a sentinel...

17.jpeg

The sheep did NOT seem to want to let us pass, but as there were no signs warning us about the herd I tried to be brave... in the end a gentleman coming the other way made it to them first and was able to get it to eat grass out of his hand. I'm not sure how it was that much more tasty than just eating from pretty much anywhere it pleased, but he seemed grateful for the hand out. :laughing:

We made one last stop on our way out, but ultimately decided against walking down to where the actual grave was. We had thought it was right here but you would need to hike down along the short to get to it and we had one last stop to make today.

18.jpeg

Ever since we flew business class with a stopover in Reykavik years ago I've loved skyr... in fact I own an instapot JUST to make my own! We don't really use it for much else but I make batch after batch, so we knew we'd want to stop at a farm that sells Skyr ice cream!

19.jpeg

Erpsstaðir Creamery is a nice pitstop; they have handmade sweaters and trinkets as well as some meat, cheese, jams, ice cream, candy, and other little tidbits. They also have farm animals you can view; pigs, cows, chickens, ducks.... though the baby bunnies were my favorite. ;)

20.jpeg

They also have a play structure for kids. We both got a cone, dandelion for me, coconut for Kyle, and a serving of skyrr with jam at the bottom for later before heading back towards our cabin to rest and decide what we wanted to do for our last dinner.

July 22nd cont:
Yes a third post... I just keep going and going to try and fit these pics in, lol! Last one for this day....

While trying to find the name of the restaurant just now I was reminded a) how few options there are and also b) that we actually decided spur of the moment to go a little ways out of our way to another brewery! During our discussion and searching on our phones we noticed a new one had opened not too far away (by our standards) so we decided to head there first. An hour later, we had arrived at the very basic Galdur Brugghús. They have a window into their brewing area from the bar, so you can view their magic, and the owner was there at the time so we got to chat with him a bit. At the time, we noticed runes play a big part of their logos, and happened to see on our way out they are close to the Museum of Icelandic Sorcery and Witchcraft. Alas our timing was once again abysmal and they were closed. According to their website Strandir is known for stories of wizards so now, months later, it finally all makes sense. Next time..! Their beer was excellent and so we added a few more bottles to our already overflowing luggage... ^^;

The brewery had no food options, so we made our way back to the room for real this time and chose to eat at a hotel/restaurant close by - Dalakot Búðardal. It was a little more expensive, but we got a proper meal this time, with sides and everything! It was apparently not impressive enough for me to take pics of though, as I have none. We are fairly certain we took pics at the brewery but I have not been able to find those either...

As it was our last day, we then made our way to a grocery store to grab some snacks to bring back for our coworkers. While there in the dairy section I found this impressive guide posted to help us all make heads or tails of it... where was this at breakfast?!

21.jpg

Goodies aquired Kyle had one last item on his must do list. Earlier we had noticed Icelandic horses standing in a field at a stable nearby and he decided it was time for a glamour shot!

They really are quite pretty!

22.jpeg

Look at those manes! Unfortunately... see those birds? They were VERY angry we had pulled over, and got even angrier when Kyle got out of the car.

24.jpeg

All too soon this jerk started divebombing. Every time Kyle got out to take a picture it would attack, and of course Kyle would jump back in the car. He could barely get any shots! And then... even more tragedy... they started attacking the horses too.

25.jpeg

These little birds ended up moving the ENTIRE herd of horses away from us. Kyle still stuck it out trying desperately to get the shot he wanted, and I ended up barely containing my laughter as he swore at them... sorry Kyle! <3

26.jpeg
Kyle in the car...

27.jpeg

Kyle out of the car... these little things are fast and mean. We stayed longer than we probably should have, and the horses did finally wander back towards us. Finally, when Kyle was happy, we drove off and left them in peace.

23.jpeg

Glamor achieved?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter