Going with newly Potty Trained Child?

MyCathryn

DVC Member
DD is showing all the signs of readiness. However we leave in 22 days. How did it go for you if your child was newly PT'ed. I want to hold off but I dont want to miss my window. Did you carry around the toilet seat topper? How did it go when you were on line?
TIA

We planned NOT to completely potty train DD until we got back. DD had other plans. 2 weeks before our trip she decided she would use nothing but the potty. On our trip, I carried along the fold up potty topper in a zip lock bag in the stroller. We kept her in pull ups for accidents or in case we could not get to a potty. She did not have an accident the entire week at WDW. She never had to go while in line. If it had been awhile, we would ask her before we got in line if she needed to go, and sometimes she did. The only issue we had is that she would wait until we had parked the stroller and gotten quite a ways from it when she would suddenly decide she needed to go, and then we had to make a mad dash to the stroller to get the topper. She would not go without the topper.

We went with twins that were newly PT'd and it was great. If we were about to get into a long line for a ride, we'd go potty first. We didn't bring potty seats, I just carried antibacterial wipes to wipe down the seat. But my girls were never really scared to sit on the big potty sans the topper. I'd say practice at home without the seat and see if it's do-able, otherwise yes I'd just tote it in your stroller or something. Good luck!!

DS2-at-the-time was in pull-ups for his first trip last May. He was in the process of training, but I didn't want to take any chances.

We hit the baby care centers every time we passed them (nice restrooms for grown-ups, too!) so he and DNiece5-at-the-time could use a nice, clean restroom. We also used one every time we had a TS meal. I think we only made two or three "emergency" (aka not planned) runs to the bathroom for both kids combined. He went in his pull-up once the entire trip. It was far easier than I could have imagined.

Also, a favorite DIS tip, if the automatic flushers freak your new pottyer out, bring a post-it to cover the sensor.

We had the exact same experience last September. DS was just really "potty trained" but still had to be reminded a million times a day. We never used a topper in the parks so I can't offer any advice to that (I find it easier to teach him to turn sideways and sit longways across the potty - it's weird but it keeps his little tushy from falling in and prevents me from hauling around a topper. Of course, we cover the potty up with sanicovers so he's not draped over a public toliet seat) We did use a topper at the hotel.

The best advice I can offer is to make sure you are constantly asking if s/he needs to go potty. We tried to get in the habit of before and after every meal, but it's hard to remember sometimes. Toddlers can get very overwhelmed at Disney with all the excitement and then of course the forget to go :scared:

We brought 2 changes of clothes in the park in clear ziploc bags with an extra ziploc packed within for wet clothes. It was helpful for an accident or if he simply wanted to play in water and needed spare clothes. We only had 1 accident and it was simply because of what I mentioned above - he got excited and enthralled in Mickey's House and forgot to tell us he needed to go. We, also in our excitement, had neglected to ask him after lunch to go potty.

So, he peed. In Mickey's House :eek: A giant, 2 ft. in diameter pee puddle right in Mickey's living room. :rotfl2: We were super impressed with Disney's handling of the situation too. DH went to find someone to alert them *ahem* of the mess, and the first question they asked was if he was okay and did he need a change of clothes. Even for the Mouse, I was impressed with the speed and efficiency with which they handled things.

I would just assume you will likely have an accident at some point and be prepared.

I had the fold up potty topper in the stroller along with a change of clothes just in case. There were so many bathrooms it was very easy. The one thing I did do was take his little potty with us in the car seat bag on the plane. I think I would have been in trouble without that all week in our hotel room. You might want to consider it. Ours fit right inside our carseat in the travel bag and it didnt count as a bag on the plane.

I'd go with the flow, but use pullups on the trip. My dd was 2 1/2 when she refused to wear diapers, and we went to Hershey a week later. She wouldn't wear the pullups, and it was very stressful! The last thing you want to hear when you're on a ride with a newly pt'd child is "I have to go potty!" When they are newly trained, when they have to go, you have about 20 seconds!

That post-it idea is a great one! I am going to start carrying them in my diaper bag - not just for Disney but malls, airports, etc.

We are going with an in-process potty trainer and are keeping him in pull-ups. That way it's not a problem if he does go. I have found that he is much more liable to have an accident when he is excited or otherwise occupied - and at Disney, I think that's a given!

We used pull ups (special just for Disney)as insurance and I am not even a big pull up fan...but boy was I glad we did. We only had 2 accidents in 8 days and it was a breeze to clean up and move on. I do have to say that because my son had never really wore pull ups and had been potty trained for awhile that it didn't affect him as far as regressing. We even had him wear them to sleep, just in case...and on the plane too. He was so excited about being at Disney he didn't care. The only times my kids have ever had potty issues after being potty trained was waiting in lines/if the were sick/or if they are over tired when they go to bed....

Thanks for the tips. My two year old has been sort of potty training, depending on her mood (and mine, I am just not into it yet) and we leave in less than two months. She is still at the point where she sometimes wants to wear panties, refuses a diaper, and sometimes wants a diaper and will not wear panties or pull ups.

Also, a favorite DIS tip, if the automatic flushers freak your new pottyer out, bring a post-it to cover the sensor.

There should be a law against automatic flushers; they're hideously loud! They freak out my dd, and she's 8; :sad1: I went through a pad of post it notes to cover the sensors on our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter