Going to Universal in a boot

lillykat

DIS Veteran
We are doing a 2 night stay at the Hard Rock. My DD (11) injured her foot and is in a walking boot. We will know better next week but are not sure how long she will be in it. Should we cancel our Universal portion of the trip? This is our first time at Universal. Will she be able to get on rides in the boot? Has Anyone gotten a wheelchair? How does that work? We will have the unlimited express pass from our hotel. She is a huge Harry Potter fan. Any information and tips would be greatly appreciated.

I saw a lot of people with a boot last week - there were a lot of high school bands - some walking, some in wheelchairs and some with a crutch so I would not worry too much.
You can rent a wheelchair each day. I'd assume you could got on most rides without issue - although some of the HP rides might be tight

My husband did Disneyland with a boot, but it was a lot of walking so he used a wheelchair between rides. He was able to go on every ride there. He usually walked the line unless it was a long wait, then we did the wheelchair entry because he couldn't be on his foot for too long. He did end up getting the motorized wheelchair do to all the hills in Disneyland. I've seen people with the knee scooters too. They seem a lot easier to navigate with, especially if you're young.

I will warn you though that people don't care (or maybe just don't notice) if you have your foot in a boot. People don't seem to pay attention to their surroundings, especially kids. My husband was in a wheelchair on one line and had his foot in the foot rest and a young girl on line did a huge backwards hop and landed right on his foot. So make sure she protects her foot.

I've done wheelchair stuff back in the day when I had knee issues and it's fine. You just have to be able to stand up and walk at a certain distance to get onto the ride itself which typically isn't much.

FJ should be fine if it's a boot, not something like a cast connecting all the way up to your thigh. Gringotts however might be an issue as there is certain amount of space for your legs, the same with Flight of the Hippogriff.

Non-HP related rides I can think of off the top of my head that might cause a conflict with the boot might be Mummy. However, I remember having more room than Gringotts. Rip Saw Falls is an awkward seat generally to get in and out of depending on who you are in terms of physicality, so I wouldn't recommend that ride simply due to the potential of difficulty getting up from that seat.

If anything you can watch videos of rides that you're interested in that include queues and what not, that way you can catch a glimpse of what guests are getting into. There are a lot of ride videos, so you might have to watch more than one to see the variety of angles, as well as since some might show certain things you don't see in other videos.

I’ve done the darkside twice in the walking boot

Also have used a wc on other visits

All doable, no issues

I did stay away from a couple of wet rides
The Velcro boot liner I did not want to get wet so took a pass on wet rides

I don't have any experience with this, and I think you have gotten some great advice.

I actually opened this post, because I was thinking along the British lines boot as in a car's trunk. I thought, what the heck?! They are smuggling themselves into Universal in a car's trunk?! HAHAHA

I don't have any experience with this, and I think you have gotten some great advice.

I actually opened this post, because I was thinking along the British lines boot as in a car's trunk. I thought, what the heck?! They are smuggling themselves into Universal in a car's trunk?! HAHAHA

Glad it wasn't just me!!!!

I`m laughing as when I read the title, as a Brit, my little brain went straight to the "boot" of a car as we would call it....:rotfl:

DH did Universal with a torn ACL in a giant leg brace. He rode everything fine except for Gringott's, where the seat was too tight for him to keep his leg straight, so we couldn't get the safety bar down. If the walking boot is just on the foot, I would think there'd be no issues.

Embarrassed to say, but I opened because I thought- how’s she getting to Universal in a boot :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter