Going to Disney with a baby

AmyinPA

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I am new to posting on this board but have been reading the posts daily every since I found it as a link from the disney zone website. I received alot of useful information on this board.

My question is, we have ressies for the Contemporary next May through by brother who got us a great discount with his miltary code. It was originally going to be my husband, me, my 4 year old son, and my parents in one room and my brother & sister-in-law in an adjoining room. Well, we just found out last week that I am pregnant! While this is GREAT news we figure I will be due in March, so that means the baby will be around 2months old. We really want to keep our plans to go, first because of the great rate, second because we don't know when we'll get to go again, and third because we all can't wait to go especially my 4 year old!

I posted at other boards to get their opinion and everyone basically gave me the same thumbs up answer. They had said how Disney is very baby friendly and with all the people going with us we would have no problem enjoying the park. I know that is true, but my concerns are these. 1) How is the weather in May, will it be too hot for an infant? 2) I have read how big the Contemporary rooms are compared to the other resorts, will we have no problem with a crib(and how do you rent one and how much?) fitting in the room. 3) Will there be an extra charge for the baby in the room, I think I read under 3 is free even for the parks? 4) We will be driving from PA, thats a two day trip. Has anyone traveled that long with an infant?

I'm sure I am just overreacting and everything will be fine.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Amy
:D

GO FOR IT!!! The weather in May is beautiful. I have the fondest memories of a trip we took with our oldest DD when she was about 7 weeks old. We drove from Chicago (appx. 22 hrs) and LOVED every minute or it. We've never stayed on site so I'm not sure about room size or cribs, but you shouldn't have any trouble with either. The best thing, of course, is that the baby will be FREE until he/she is 3 (incentive for your next trip). Go for it and enjoy!

We are leaving next week with our 11 week old DD. We are driving from MA and staying on site at the BCV. I will post when I return and give you any tips or problems that I encounter. I think that as long as I stay hydrated and feed her often that she will be ok. We are also planning on only doing the parks in the morning and evening. I also have those mister bottles that I can use to cool her off.

I'll reply again after the 26th.

I have an 8 week old DD right now!! I can tell you that this past week she has become so much more alert, smiles a lot, and thankfully still takes nice long naps. (this is not to say that she doesn't have her moments because she does but she is so much easier than even 2 weeks ago.) I think your new baby will be fine in the parks as long as it is not too hot. (Kids are a challenge at all different stages...there is never a perfectly easy age) May can be quite hot in Florida (my DH and I honeymooned in WDW in May at the PR 1995. It was humid and in the 90's) I would suggest that you start out to the parks as early as possible...get there right as the parks open. You should be able to get your DS on a lot of his favorite rides by going early. I would leave for the CR before lunch. Mid day is soooooo hot there! Go back in the later afternoon after everyone has rested. I'll bet baby will sleep most of the time. Take your time and don't push too hard and it will be great!

I will be there in May also. (I plan to follow my own advice!!) My DS will be almost 3 and she will be 11 months....Have a wonderful trip!

Jean

I haven't read the other responses, so forgive me if I'm duplicating...

But the baby care centers are AWESOME! Clean, cool, private nursing rooms, changing stations, play area for older kids, etc. You may not need them, but my DD wouldn't nurse in the parks because there was so much going on that she wanted to SEE. I hadn't planned on using the baby care centers, but they turned out to be a lifesaver.

My best tip is to get a baby sling. You can't take strollers in lines. We used the sling at WDW when DD was 5mo and again at 23mo. She still uses it occasionally at almost 3yo. They are very versatile. Here's a link: http://www.parentingconcepts.com

You may consider getting another room. With that many people in a room and a baby that wakes up for feedings, it may get uncomfortable. Maybe your 4yo can stay in a room with your parents and you and your DH can stay in the room with the baby. You will also have tons of stuff with a baby. I know there was thread in here a few days ago about what to pack for a baby. You may want to search for it. Have a wonderful time!!!!

Originally posted by susy
You may consider getting another room. With that many people in a room and a baby that wakes up for feedings, it may get uncomfortable.

I agree with Susy. The Contemporary rooms are big, but not that big...especially with an infant that might cry off and on during the night. I stayed there with one other person and we got on each other's nerves after a while. I highly recommend two rooms.

We drive from Newark DE to WDW. The last tripwe took in Mar, ,y little girl was 15 months old. she was absolutley easy the whole way down!! But I think this has more to do with the temperament of the child more than anything else. If your child is the impatient type or doesn't lke the car very much , then you're in dire trouble. Chances are, with a 2 month old, the baby will sleep enough that it won't stress the baby (or you) out too much.

And it IS pretty darn hot in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter