going on our first Carnival cruise

luvmyfam444

DIS Veteran
haven't booked yet but it'll be on Carnival...help us decide which one...

1. w. Carib with stops in cozumel &Yucatan
2. w. carib stops in Costa Maya & Cozumel
3. W. carib stops in Costa Maya, Belive, Cozumel

Then can you suggest excursions?

I guess I’d say 3. We did one with Carnival and stopped at Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman, and Roatan.

In Cozumel, we walked to a little resort and enjoyed all food and drinks we wanted. Was okay, but we didn’t want to swim in their pool or go into the ocean, as cold front made it cooler when we were there in January.

00C25FC4-5C6E-4ADE-A209-467B08A07A12.jpegIn Belize, we booked a boat ride to a little island in the middle of the ocean, where we snorkeled with a guide, who was great, and had lunch there too. Picture from that speck of sand the island was.

Booked it through Carnival while on the shop, as place I had booked, cancelled due to sea conditions. Nice thing, the boat to the island and back was right from the shop. My daughter and I took the tender into port. Was very junky, and I think was the most expensive shirt we bought that cruise. Our cruise was in January 2019, on the Legend, round trip 7 njght from Tampa.

My adult kids said next time, we are going in a much larger ship. They found the Legend boring. To be fair, was a smaller, basic ship, and because was smaller, fit under the Tampa bridge. Picture from a portal as we went under the bridge by inches.

579F3B9C-5F68-4EA8-9BC3-1C22F87FDF92.jpeg

My kids have only known cruising from the two other Disney cruises we did, on the Fantasy and Magic.

I look to explore the ancient ruins at the different ports....... ship excursions or local guides/tours.

If you go to Cozumel, I highly recommend the Rio Secreto excursion. It is so awesome. Do a google image search and you’ll see.

I would agree that some times the ship is a destination in of itself. Also, in my opinion, eastern is better than western. But if these are the three choices, I would go with #3.

Before you book check each ships reviews on Cruise critic. The ship will either make or break your vacation. Best of luck!

Just curious why you are settled on Carnival if the trip hasn’t been booked yet? Carnival is fine (IMO) but there are other lines priced similarly that have better itineraries. I wouldn’t choose two Mexico ports. Although almost all Western Caribbean itineraries include Cozumel, I’d aim for something that includes Grand Cayman and/or Jamaica instead of Progresso or Costa Maya.

While we have only done Disney and Carnival, we didn’t think the food or staff was any better or worse between the two lines. But I agree, both our Disney cruises were Eastern, and our virus cancelled one with Royal, was also to have been Eastern.

Kids and I agree, while we did enjoy the Western ports, we much prefer the Eastern ports, and doubt we will do another Western, unless a Panama canal passing one. And we will look for a much larger ship, as we like lots of things to do on the ship.

I'd pick #3.

As for shore excursions, it all depends on what you like to do for activities. We recently did these ports (along with Roatan, but on NCL). We did:

Cozumel - Dolphin Swim
Costa Maya - ATV ride through the Jungle, with a beach break after
Belize - Parasailing and zip lining. If you've never been to Belize we had a great time on a previous cruise with the cave tubing excursion.

Ours went to Cozumel and Costa Maya. Cozumel we went to Mr. Sanchos, highly recommend! We just walked around Costa Maya, it was pretty boring & touristy so next time I'd book an excursion or something. This year we are going to Yucatan and Cozumel. Definitely will book an excursion for both ports but not sure which!

Ours went to Cozumel and Costa Maya. Cozumel we went to Mr. Sanchos, highly recommend! We just walked around Costa Maya, it was pretty boring & touristy so next time I'd book an excursion or something. This year we are going to Yucatan and Cozumel. Definitely will book an excursion for both ports but not sure which!
I love Mr. Sanchos. Last time we went to Paradise Beach and did their all inclusive. Loved that as well.

Carnival has a nice Pool in the Costa Maya port for a cheap day. Some restaurants and shops. We have done that a few times.

Just curious why you are settled on Carnival if the trip hasn’t been booked yet? Carnival is fine (IMO) but there are other lines priced similarly that have better itineraries. I wouldn’t choose two Mexico ports. Although almost all Western Caribbean itineraries include Cozumel, I’d aim for something that includes Grand Cayman and/or Jamaica instead of Progresso or Costa Maya.
because it's a gift

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter