Going in for a small procedure tomorrow and scared to death :(

mermaid86

Mouseketeer
This is barely even mentionable compared to some of the stuff others are going through, but... hopefully someone here can ease my fears a little.

Last December I ended up in the ER with sharp stabbing pains in my abdomin. After hours and numerous tests I was diagnosed with kidney stones, and lots of them. I am 21. Since then, I have been getting constant bladder infections and don't know why I keep developing stones. For being so young, I should not be producing so much. I get constant shooting pains and can feel, what feel like stones, going through me every couple weeks.

After seeing my urologist late last week, I had to set up an appointment which I am NOT looking forward to-- tomorrow morning in fact. He said that he wants to dialate my urethra, go up take a look into my bladder, and then shoot some dyes into my kidneys to see if and where stones are forming. While he said the procedure could be done in the office, he said it would be "uncomfortable", and going to the hospital would be best. I once had to have a colonoskpy (sp?) done and was slighly sedated, well sedated to the point where I kept yelling at them I could feel everything and when I finished they told my mother they gave me enough valium to kill a horse. This time the doctor said that I would be given stuff so I wouldn't feel anything. When speaking to the hospital today I asked whether I would be completly out from anaesthesia or just sedated... she told me not completly out, but much more sedated than I was before where I wont remember anything.

I know this isnt a huge deal at all, and you all probably think I a big baby, but I am so scared. This sounds completly riduclous, but I lost a cat due to an anaesthesia overdose and I have a fear of not waking up... or waking up during the procedure. And while I don't want them to find something terribly wrong with me, I do hope that something is finally picked up so I can be properly treated for whatever is wrong with me. So for those of you who have had to go through something of "going under", just let me know its not as terrible as my mind is making it out to be :goodvibes

You poor thing. I can sympathize with how scary it seems. I had sedation that was likely very similar when I had oral surgery, and it really wasn't so bad. Good luck with your procedure.

I hope everything went well for you today. Be glad they are doing the procedure and they should have better information as to why this is happening. My 25 year old niece had kidney stones last month and from her I know they are very, VERY painful.

Think of it this way -- you had the easy part -- you got to SLEEP! :<)

Anesthesiologists are professionals and they know what they are doing. They wouldn't have their jobs if they didn't. :<) I've had similar anesthesia to what you had a few times and did just fine. I'm sure you will be too.

Take care and try to get some sleep!

I went in today. Cried in the hospital bed, and before the nurse told me I was getting sedated to be taken into getting the anesthesia... I was out. I woke up, asking when they were going to start. They really knocked me out and I have absolutly no memory of being moved into the OR. No word on the full details of what happened until I go to my follow up, but I do have a huge bump from where my IV was, and cant go to the bathroom without it burning like crazy!! (ps: sorry for being so graphic)

overall, it wasn't as bad as I made it out in my head. BUT. i am incredibly glad its all over with.

I went in today. Cried in the hospital bed, and before the nurse told me I was getting sedated to be taken into getting the anesthesia... I was out. I woke up, asking when they were going to start. They really knocked me out and I have absolutly no memory of being moved into the OR. No word on the full details of what happened until I go to my follow up, but I do have a huge bump from where my IV was, and cant go to the bathroom without it burning like crazy!! (ps: sorry for being so graphic)

overall, it wasn't as bad as I made it out in my head. BUT. i am incredibly glad its all over with.

:hug: I am glad it is over. I offer only hugs, as I am a HUGE baby when going under. SO much I want to run..

It is now in the past, hope you feel better soon.:hug:

I'm glad that your procedure went well and it's over with. Hope you feel better real soon!

Just checking back in to see how things went. Happy for you that is all over. Everyone gets scared -- no matter how large or how small things are -- we all fear the unknown. Aren't we lucky to live in a country where we have such great medical care and access to facilities? There I go sounding like a Mom -- which makes sense since I am one. :<)

The iv bump should go down soon and hopefully soon you'll be able to "go" more comfortably too. Hope they gave you some good pain meds. Take care and try to get some rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter