Going during summer and a pandemic..

luvthemouse71

Former Ride Chicken...
I’m planning a trip for myself and my best friend. We’ve known each other since we were 7 and we’re both turning 50 in 2021 along with WDW. She will be a grandmother for the first time as well and I am graduating from my RN to BSN program too so lots to celebrate.

She works in teachingso she can only go during the summer. I have been during the summer once and remember that it was hot but that with planning it’s doable. I’m concerned about the mask thing and the heat. but I’m trying to remain positive.

any tips and tricks from those who have gone in the summer and/or during the pandemic would be appreciated. I haven’t been to WDW since 10/2018... I’m still looking at resorts..

We are planning to go this summer too. I’m bringing plenty of disposable masks. I hate when they get all gross, so I can definitely see myself changing them often.

The heat is terrible. We just grin and bear it. Drink more water than you think you need and take indoor breaks (stores, indoor attractions, etc).

I’m expecting masks to still be mandatory, but I’m thinking indoor dining will be more comfortable by then. A good number of people should have received the vaccine by then. I’m hoping we get it before our trip.

I’m a little nervous to get the vaccine since I can react to vaccines in general but I think I might just get it especially if we fly down.

We are planning to go this summer too. I’m bringing plenty of disposable masks. I hate when they get all gross, so I can definitely see myself changing them often.

The heat is terrible. We just grin and bear it. Drink more water than you think you need and take indoor breaks (stores, indoor attractions, etc).

I’m expecting masks to still be mandatory, but I’m thinking indoor dining will be more comfortable by then. A good number of people should have received the vaccine by then. I’m hoping we get it before our trip.
I also think that staying on property is the way to go since it will be so hot.

I’m a little nervous to get the vaccine since I can react to vaccines in general but I think I might just get it especially if we fly down.

Not clear if and when you'll have that option. And related note, not clear how much the pandemic will be affecting WDW by summer time.

Highly unlikely (almost impossible) that Disney will be 100% normal by summer. But if there is wide vaccine distribution by Spring, you may see major steps towards normalization over the summer.

On the other hand, vaccine distribution is already lagging behind expectations. Now there is concern that there will not be enough doses available for everyone until July. (370 million doses are contracted to be delivered by the END of June. Enough for 185 million Americans. But even if the contract terms are met, a large percentage of those doses may not be delivered until June. Then they have to actually be administered to people.. in 2 doses, 3-4 weeks apart.So if 150 million doses get delivered in mid to late June... first shots sometime in July.... booster shot not until August).

Point being... summer 2021 is still way too far away to make any predictions. Including whether you'll even be able to get vaccinated by then. (Though as an RN, you may personally be able to get the vaccine earlier than others).

Last edited:

I had zero issues with my mask this August. After about an hour or so each morning I didn't even notice it was on. It was very, very hot, but it did not seem any hotter to me with the mask on compared to when I had it off.
We didn't have any issues in September either.

BUT I do encourage Guests to take advantage of the Indoor Relaxation Stations-it does feel good to get the masks off for a while.(Akershus was our fav Station BY FAR.)(Star Wars Launch Bay is awesome for SW fans!)

Last edited:
Have you thought about possibly going at another time when school is off, like President's week?

Not clear if and when you'll have that option. And related note, not clear how much the pandemic will be affecting WDW by summer time.

Highly unlikely (almost impossible) that Disney will be 100% normal by summer. But if there is wide vaccine distribution by Spring, you may see major steps towards normalization over the summer.

On the other hand, vaccine distribution is already lagging behind expectations. Now there is concern that there will not be enough doses available for everyone until July. (370 million doses are contracted to be delivered by the END of June. Enough for 185 million Americans. But even if the contract terms are met, a large percentage of those doses may not be delivered until June. Then they have to actually be administered to people.. in 2 doses, 3-4 weeks apart.So if 150 million doses get delivered in mid to late June... first shots sometime in July.... booster shot not until August).

Point being... summer 2021 is still way too far away to make any predictions. Including whether you'll even be able to get vaccinated by then. (Though as an RN, you may personally be able to get the vaccine earlier than others).
I’m a nurse and should be able to get it through my facility in a few weeks. I’m in the second tier. ICU and ER nurses go first. My friend is a teacher and should have it soon too.

Not trying to discourage, just saying to also keep in mind that with social distancing, the lines to get into some of the attractions mostly end up outside in the sun. My husband and I went the last week of October. It was hot, we knew it, we just needed to get away. We are Florida residents but will not stand outside in the blazing sun for any amount of time, so we skipped some of our favorite attractions. We found masks stifling in the heat, because we are not used to wearing them. We have another trip planned for February but will not be going if the temperature is expected to be above 70 degrees. We are both over 65 and even if I were to get the vaccine and still had to wear a face mask and still had to stand in the sun, I’ll not go. Just saying.

Have you thought about possibly going at another time when school is off, like President's week?
It’ll have to be summer. I’m an OR nurse so I spend most of my day in a mask and this was before COVID. I’m stocking up on lightweight disposable masks though.

I am joining your thread as I am thinking about visiting in the summer as well. I am a teacher as well as so I am limited to school breaks. I am thinking about early summer but just not sure. I had planned to go in summer 2020 but had to postpone the trip. I am trying to decide now whether we should plan for this summer or wait. I have not been to WDW since 2014 and so I need a Disney fix!

I am joining your thread as I am thinking about visiting in the summer as well. I am a teacher as well as so I am limited to school breaks. I am thinking about early summer but just not sure. I had planned to go in summer 2020 but had to postpone the trip. I am trying to decide now whether we should plan for this summer or wait. I have not been to WDW since 2014 and so I need a Disney fix!
My husband and I are both teachers too. Originally we were going to most likely go Summer 2021 but have not pulled the trigger yet. At this point I think we are going to go in Summer 2022.

Not all schools are off then. In the Northeast, yes it's more likely than not. But not everywhere.

I scheduled my vaccine for 1/14. The first batch of coworkers from my department are going this weekend. I’m nervous about it but I think this would be the smartest move, especially if flying.

I went in late October so not full heat but it was mid to upper 80s. It's pretty hard wearing a mask in the heat. Allow extra breaks and take it easy. We still had a good time but its not quite the same obviously. I don't know where you are from but Florida in general offers more freedom to do things right now than most other states. So much that I am moving there! Hope you have a great trip!

I avoid Orlando/WDW in the summer. Layer masks on that and it's a solid pass from us.
We are waiting until vaccinations are readily available and they relax the mask requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter