Going Bagless!

hart6066

DIS Veteran
I think we can finally go bagless--which over Christmas would be huge time saver--but have a few questions. Is it ok to have travel sized sun screen and lip balm or an external cell battery about the size of a C battery in your jacket pockets? Can someone walk in while holding a bagel or a snack in a sandwich sized ziplock baggie or have it in their jacket pocket? I'm hoping those are fine, since they do fit in pockets and people have wallets and phones anyway, but just wanted to double check.
Thanks!

We had no problems in August going through with things in our pockets. We did take out a phone charging battery and walked through with it in front of us in our hand. That way security was able to see what it was, but they never stopped us for that.

It's no longer necessary to go bagless to save time getting into the parks. With the new scanners, you just walk through them at a normal pace. However, any large metal object (umbrella for example) should be taken out of bag and held in your hands while going through.

There's no longer a separate bag security line? Havent been back since Christmas 2019 where I still had to do bag search and then meet up with family who went ahead and just did the walk thru. Thank you!

Love the new walk through screener. Just be sure to have any metal objects - umbrellas, camera, recharging battery in your hands out in front of you.
Only stopped once, when I didn't have the umbrella out.

FYI it won't save time to go bagless anymore.
Everyone walks through a detector and you only have your bag looked at if the detector goes off.
If you're used to carrying a bag and it would be more of a hassle to stuff things in your pockets then just carry the bag.

We have been bagless in the parks for the past year and it's amazing. I know it might not save you much time anymore with the new screening technology...BUT, we have found that not having a park bag means one less thing to track and organize. We almost always take a break at the hotel, so that's always a great time to access anything we may have left in the room (and so far we have never had that need).

Magic band, chapstick, ID, credit card, and phone is all I bring in now, all which fits comfortably in my athletic shorts pockets. And honestly, it's all I have ever needed these past few trips. Doesn't work for everyone, but it works for us and sure makes life easier not having to carry a bag around all day.

There's no longer a separate bag security line? Havent been back since Christmas 2019 where I still had to do bag search and then meet up with family who went ahead and just did the walk thru. Thank you!
We were there end of November and were pleasantly surprised to see you just walk through a scanner with whatever you have. No bag lines anymore. If you beep they then check your bag. The things that made us beep were an EpiPen and apparently hard glasses cases (not sure why). Phones are fine.

Just make sure you use pockets that cab be zipped, velcro closed, etc. or that are tight enough not to allow you to lose anything important while on rides. :) Especially jacket pockets, if you think there's a chance you may take the jacket off and carry it over your arm or anything similar during the day.

Magic band, chapstick, ID, credit card, and phone is all I bring in now, all which fits comfortably in my athletic shorts pockets. And honestly, it's all I have ever needed these past few trips. Doesn't work for everyone, but it works for us and sure makes life easier not having to carry a bag around all day.

That's all we bring in, too. It's freeing. If needed my husband will put a 2 disposable ponchos in his pocket.

It's a whole new world!!! This is great news--thank you! My DD and I only use very small cross body bags to secure phones and one or 2 things the guys carry, but I was a bit worried about securing those in pockets if we went bagless. Now we'll just continue with the small crossbody and not worry about it. With all of the changes, our 2 years away is making this feel like a completely new park!

I wear my back pack & walk thru holding my cell phone in my hand. I have also heard them tell people to take out hard (sun)glass cases cause those can have metal in them & sets it off.

I wear my back pack & walk thru holding my cell phone in my hand. I have also heard them tell people to take out hard (sun)glass cases cause those can have metal in them & sets it off.
Yep, that's what got me in September. Had the hard sunglasses case in my bag, got stopped. Even when holding it out in front of me after that, if I didn't hold it out far enough it set off the search.

I've done it in November in Orlando and February in Anaheim (pre-kids!) wearing a light splash jacket from North Face. Credit card, phone, lipstick and compact and ticket (this was the old days) went in its pockets, and I was all set.

Now I have a double stroller full of children, a bag full of diapers, changes of clothes, suncream etc. for the kids and a fanny pack. I do miss the flexibility!

I was a bit worried about securing those in pockets if we went bagless.

Understandable. When we went bagless I ended up buying some really nice athletic shorts with zipper pockets to ensure things don’t fall out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter