God Bless America

ntsammy5

DIS Veteran
I just thought I'd share this with everyone here. For those of you who are not hockey fans, the Philadelphia Flyers used to have her come and sing this before important games - it worked! They won most of those games. I hate the Flyers but I love Kate.

A REAL STAR

In early 1940, Kate Smith, a fiercely patriotic American, and the biggest star
on radio, was deeply worried about her country.

She asked Irving Berlin if he could give her a song that would reignite the spirit of American patriotism and faith. He said he had a song that he had written in 1917, but never used it. He said she could have it.

She sat at the piano & played it and realized how good it was. She called Mr. Berlin and told him that she couldn't take this from him for nothing. So, they agreed that any money that would be made off the song would be donated to the Boy Scouts of America.

Thanks to Kate Smith and Irving Berlin, the Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties. This clip is from the movie "You're in the Army Now".
You will see a familiar face in this—one that we are all very proud of.

Frank Sinatra said that when Kate Smith, whom he considered the greatest singer of his age, first sang this song on the radio, a million guys got 'dust' in their eyes and had to wipe the tears the 'dust' caused.

If you can watch and listen without 'dust' getting in your eyes, you have no soul.

Sit back and enjoy a Real Star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQDW-NMaRs

Kate Smith's overall record for the Flyers with Smith singing live or with her recording 73-19-4.
There is also a bronze statue of her that was outside of the Spectrum that is being moved to outside of the Wells Fargo Center in her honor of all the help she has brought the Flyers.

Best Regards,
Norm

That was beautiful. My son-in-law is a Marine and they are expecting their first child in June.

It fills my heart with joy to listen to my 6 year old son singing in the shower every morning... His song of choice being "God bless America, my hooommme sweeet hoomme."
So yes, God bless America. :grouphug:

Thank you Al!

What a beautiful song. And the guy at 4:21 is a real American too.

Careful, Al, I was told my thread on Americans and the Constitution was political, was poofed and fined 20 points.

Land of the free...

and the home of the brave!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with us Al. :thumbsup2

and my son is a cubscout. AKA future Boy Scout of America.

Thanks for posting that Al. That was an era when Americans were Americans.

I agree, and Americans supported Americans.

'Stepping on the soapbox'

That era seems to have passed many by. Anyone can sing a song and hold their hand over their heart during a song and sing about how much they love America. But we all need to ask ourselves, what are we doing to help each other and our fellow Americans.

I am not going to lecture anyone, but we all have to do better because our country is going bye bye. The generation that saved us from the Germans is dying off and what is left isn't worth a crap. We drive the cars of the people who wanted us dead and praise them every chance we get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter