Go Fund Me Me Me...my dreams, my car, my trips

Agree..and
This thread reminds me of that tv show back a few years ago.
They’d Give houses away to deserving families. People down on their luck due to illness, death special circumstances. etc

Sadly many of the “gift” homes could not even be maintained by the people gifted them. . some had to sell them as they were just way too large, too costly to run.
Others were foreclosed. There were Tax loopholes that the show could use, but not the families..a total debacle imho

So the alleged good intention to give people homes was always so questionable to me back then. Why give people mansions and mini mansions... why everything over the top.. what they really needed were regular homes and Support thru difficult times.

The show was popular, the cast became stars making $$$ and many of the needy... were left in worse positions. Sad :(
Wants versus needs ....exploited

I don’t respond to gofundme, nor phone or knocks on the door.
I’ve chosen to donate to specific charities with proven records over the years.

I have a bit of a different view of fundraising. It doesn't offend me in the least but I also don't feel obligated at all to donate to anything I don't feel like. I've never contributed to an on-line fund of any kind though; if I'm going to help it's always people and situations I know well enough that I just give the money directly to them.

Didn't know you guys all felt this way about this stuff. Guess I need to go to plan B for paying for our next WDW trip... how much do kidneys go for these days??

I've actually only seen the go-fund-me website once or twice, but I understand the concept. My feelings about those asking people to pay for their designer wardrobe... :charac2:

Didn't know you guys all felt this way about this stuff. Guess I need to go to plan B for paying for our next WDW trip... how much do kidneys go for these days??

I've actually only seen the go-fund-me website once or twice, but I understand the concept. My feelings about those asking people to pay for their designer wardrobe... :charac2:
Over on the Budget board they'd tell you to ease into it - start with selling your plasma. :lmao:

Just out of curiousity - how do you usually hear of a go fund me drive? I rarely use FB, and usually only hear of them when mentioned on the news (for bigger tragedies and the like) - do people send emails or post on other social media to promote their own go fund me?

Agree..and
This thread reminds me of that tv show back a few years ago.
They’d Give houses away to deserving families. People down on their luck due to illness, death special circumstances. etc

Sadly many of the “gift” homes could not even be maintained by the people gifted them. . some had to sell them as they were just way too large, too costly to run.
Others were foreclosed. There were Tax loopholes that the show could use, but not the families..a total debacle imho

So the alleged good intention to give people homes was always so questionable to me back then. Why give people mansions and mini mansions... why everything over the top.. what they really needed were regular homes and Support thru difficult times.

The show was popular, the cast became stars making $$$ and many of the needy... were left in worse positions. Sad :(
Wants versus needs ....exploited.

Was the show Extreme Home Makover?

Just out of curiousity - how do you usually hear of a go fund me drive? I rarely use FB, and usually only hear of them when mentioned on the news (for bigger tragedies and the like) - do people send emails or post on other social media to promote their own go fund me?

Yes, FB. All the freaking time!

The best is the brag plus go fund me request...my kid is SOOO smart they get the opportunity to go to this awesome camp and its $5500 and we're asking for a goal of $7500 to cover the travel charges too and so I can see my kid off. Year after year with these camp go fund mes. Ugh.

I do appreciate the service for larger, actual funding raising drives.

I was just about to post a thread about this until I saw yours. This woman that I'm acquaintances with has had 4 Go-Fund-Me campaigns in the last year or so... no joke at all. But of course she refuses to work, current bf can't keep a job, has 5 different baby daddies at the age of 27, and always plays the victim card. Then she gets upset when people don't enable her behavior by contributing to her campaigns. Good times, good times...

Did she actually get funding though for the 4 campaigns?

I agree w/everybody else. Using Gofundme for some purposes is fine. But for other reasons? No.

For example:
A mom friend of mine posted on social media about her sibling and the sibling's spouse (can't remember if it was her brother or sister) who started a Gofundme page to try to raise tens of thousands of $$ to pay for a child adoption. I have a couple of problems with that. First, I didn't even know my friend's sibling. Had never met the couple at all. If I knew them, then I **might** consider. Second, who the heck asks other people to pay for adoption fees? Third, there are a whole lot of children in the foster care system who would love to be adopted. 1 of my coworkers is a foster parent w/her DH. 1 of their kids they adopted through foster care and they started out as the child's foster parents. And their 2nd child, they are foster parents to right now and are in the process of trying to formally adopt that child. My coworker never once asked for other people to pay for all of that.
A good friend of mine did this for an African adoption. I think between the tax credit and money from her husband’s very generous employer they were already ahead but they still wanted others to pitch in. I did not contribute.

I see once in a while on fb but most are on Twitter with people retweeting them.

I don’t know what I’m confused about more, the people who do it or all the suckers out there that pay.
I agree - why are people donating to things if they're so opposed to it and if they're not donating, why are they bugged? I don't understand that part at all. :confused:

I don’t have social media....so no Facebook, twitter, etc to contact me with. I have received emails typically. My nephews have sent them via email which has always been fine. They have asked for things that I have no problem supporting. However, once I received an email from a lady begging for money to send her daughter to college. She talked about all the challenges her family had and then ends with her daughter has an opportunity to go to college a year earlier than normal if they can come up with the cash. She said they just didn’t have time to save money to send her to college because they were dealing with family issues the past year. Well I thought, I’m here to tell you saving for one year will get you a semester maybe. They should have been thinking about that 10 years ago! I have two of my own to put through college. Here's the kicker, I had no stinking clue who this even was. So I sent her an email back and said, do I know you? She said “yes, my daughter was on the city league softball team with your daughter when they were in second grade. Remember I helped run the snacks for the coach. “ :rotfl2:That was 12 years ago!!! I started looking for the cameras, surely I was being punked!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter