Glaicer Explorer ?? on DCL Alaska

IcedCoffee52

Earning My Ears
We're doing Alaska in June, and was wondering if the Glacier Explorer excursion on glacier day was fun for kids? Did anyone bring their kids on it?

I was able too get tickets for my whole family (DH, me, kids ages 12, 12, 10, 5) but it's so expensive. I'm wondering if it's not that exciting for kids (esp my 10 and 5 year olds), and if they'll be bored (esp given the price). Would they have just as much fun at in the kids club while DH and I go on the excursion? this is our 6th DCL but first Alaska cruise?

We're doing Alaska in June, and was wondering if the Glacier Explorer excursion on glacier day was fun for kids? Did anyone bring their kids on it?

I was able too get tickets for my whole family (DH, me, kids ages 12, 12, 10, 5) but it's so expensive. I'm wondering if it's not that exciting for kids (esp my 10 and 5 year olds), and if they'll be bored (esp given the price). Would they have just as much fun at in the kids club while DH and I go on the excursion? this is our 6th DCL but first Alaska cruise?
We have done this excursion twice, although not with kids. There will be several crew members on the boat who will talk about the animals, or the nature that you see around, but these are not trained naturalists. So your kids may have questions that they aren’t able to answer. I have found, however, that the young people who work on these boats are friendly and happy to talk. All that being said the excursion will be a couple of hours, and that couple of hours is looking at scenery. Do your kids enjoy looking at scenery? People are always hoping to see animals or that the glacier is calving. What if there are no animals to see and the glacier doesn’t move, would your kids still enjoy seeing that?

I have done this excursion-it is certainly worth doing, just beautiful. My kids were older teens. Our excursion was the true Alaskan experience as it rained most of the time. The younger kids on our excursion seemed bored, huddled in the cabin of the boat. Were all kids that way-no, but only you know your kids. Is a long, scenery based excursion-is that something they would tolerate or enjoy? If the weather is bad, will they be miserable? It is expensive. Perhaps bring binoculars or books, if they are into that, to pass the time until you get to the glacier?

My girls were 6 and 9 last year when we did it. They loved it. A year later, they both said it was their favorite part of the trip. They got a kick out of going onto another boat from our boat, the speed of the little boat, and were really into trying to find the wildlife (we saw tons of sea pups, a black bear, mountain goats). They got to touch glacier ice that was brought in. They also liked getting a snack on the way back 🤷🏻‍♀️
eta: we also had terrible weather - foggy and on-and-off rain. Glad they were bundled up. I guess thats Why they loved the snacks so much on the way back now that I think about it!

Thanks, all, for the advice. I think my three older kids will love it, but my 5 year old is the wild card. There is no way he would go to the kids club without his older brother so we could leave him behind. It may just be that we bring him along with a tablet and/or some small toys to keep him occupied.

On the other hand, it would be so nice to go do this just with DH b/c I can't remember the last time we did something fun together without the kids.

Decisions, decisions....

Thanks, all, for the advice. I think my three older kids will love it, but my 5 year old is the wild card. There is no way he would go to the kids club without his older brother so we could leave him behind. It may just be that we bring him along with a tablet and/or some small toys to keep him occupied.

On the other hand, it would be so nice to go do this just with DH b/c I can't remember the last time we did something fun together without the kids.

Decisions, decisions....
We are booked on it in early June, we have 3 kids (13, 12, and 7) and decided to leave them on the ship. It is a lot of money and the 7 year old would not enjoy 3 hours of it. The other two would rather hang out with friends and catch glimpses from the tip deck. Plus they'll be on get character picture duty with youngest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter