Giving Thanks for Family...at Universal- Thanksgiving 2015 (Updated and Complete)

That is an amazing picture of everyone! Glad it went so well.

Your daughter is beautiful, she looks so happy!! You all do........Gru and the gang are just the best.......

Thank you, se was so happy, and it turns out it was one of the highlights of the trip. More later...

What an awesome day for your girl. Everyone looks so happy in your pic...I admit I shed a tear or two while reading about her reaction.

Can't wait to hear about your latest adventures :flower1:

She was just so surprised and overwhelmed. When you are in a family of three, all attention is rarely on just you- her teenage brothers were a bit teary eyed as well. More soon...

Day 4 Tuesday After our early, early morning yesterday, we took our time getting up and breakfasting again in the club lounge. By this time the kids were getting a little frustrated with each other, so we decided to split up- we thought the boys would go one way, with our little lady going with us, but they decided that our oldest son would take our daughter while we took the middle son. I'm sure it depends on your kids, but we felt completely comfortable with that arrangement- as long as they had their phone so we could track them.

The siblings started in Islands of Adventure, but decided that they wanted to take the Hogwarts Express to Universal. They had a great time together (enjoying a lunch at City Walk). We spent our whole day at Universal again- with much time spent on the Men in Black ride.:) We also tried frozen butterbeer- warm is still my favorite. We saw the Beetlejuice show, which we did not like much. Fortunately, as we were leaving that show there were men dressed as constructions workers banging on equipment. (I don't recall the group's name.) Middle son is a percussionist, so we really enjoyed this impromptu performance. We also caught the "Tales of Beetle the Bard" in Diagon Alley. As the parks got more crowded, we found it easier to take in the show. We also headed over to Citywalk, where the people at Moe's remembered the sibling group coming through. (Must be those buttons!) I had some of the sushi from the Fusion Sushi place- it was very good, fresh, and very large portions.

After a fun day apart, things were back to normal when we were all together back at the Royal Pacific. In fact, the younger two decided that 72 degrees was plenty warm enough to swim! Our daughter does not like the cold- I found her in the hottub when it was time to go. :) After dinner we split up again- Hubby took the younger two back over to Hogsmeade for more wand activity, while son and I played cards in the club lounge- love the flexibility a longer stay gives us- it really feels like a vacation.

TIP: If at all possible, have an extended stay- it leads to an unrushed feeling. Also, City Walk has some great lunch options!

UP NEXT: Cabana bay, here we come...

fter a quick bite to eat the the lounge, we headed over to Universal Studios. We had a bit of trouble sorting out then Photopass card that I had previously purchased. We also went by guest services where we upgraded the tickets we purchased online with Undercover Tourist to Power Passes- this was easy ( and very cheap). Guest services also started the process to arrange the meet and greet for our family. We hope it all works out!
I just read all of your reports so far and I think they are great. I purchased the same tickets from undercover tourist and plan to upgrade. Could you tell me what it ended up costing. Also, what trouble did you have with the AP photocard? I bought that also online. We are heading down in less than two weeks and are very excited. Thanks

I just read all of your reports so far and I think they are great. I purchased the same tickets from undercover tourist and plan to upgrade. Could you tell me what it ended up costing. Also, what trouble did you have with the AP photocard? I bought that also online. We are heading down in less than two weeks and are very excited. Thanks

The upgrade cost us nothing. I think she gave us the Florida resident pass price, even though we did not ask for it. (We don't live in Florida). However, according to my calculations, the upgrade should have cost us 69.08 for four adult tickets, which would also have been quite acceptable- that's what you could expect to pay.

The photo pass people seemed to want to "pass the buck". They sent us back to customer service. She walked us back over and told them that customer service didn't have anything to do with it, and then stood there until they said "oh, okay," and gave us the card. It might have been easier if we had had one picture taken already (they hand you a temporary card then.) Either way, it was well worth the money and the minor hassle.

Happy to answer any more questions.

Nice update! Yes, it's lovely being able to have time to chill out around the resort on a trip, rather than rushing around fitting it all in.

Beat Builders are the name of the construction guys in the Studios.......they were excellent, and really got the small crowds going every time......

I must try the sushi place in Citywalk........never been in it before as we love the sushi from Orchids a lot......but will add it to our list for next year I think........:thumbsup2

The photo pass people seemed to want to "pass the buck". They sent us back to customer service. She walked us back over and told them that customer service didn't have anything to do with it, and then stood there until they said "oh, okay," and gave us the card. It might have been easier if we had had one picture taken already (they hand you a temporary card then.) Either way, it was well worth the money and the minor hassle.
Thanks, I will try getting a picture taken first and see what happens.

Great photo of you all with Gru and the girls, what a lovely memory.

Diagon alley/hogsmeade in the evening before closing is definitely the way to go.

Day 5 Wednesday: This proved to be a busy, busy morning. We got up, packed up, ate some more breakfast in the club room, checked out of the Royal Pacific, and deposited our luggage in the car. (Your car can stay in the parking lot all day, even if you check out in the morning.) By this time it was about 8:15, and we headed over to Islands of Adventure. Yes, we had learned previously that a later start Early Morning Hour does you no good if you are headed for Harry Potter, but we had other plans. We still had not done many of the rides in Islands of Adventure. Only Harry Potter is open during the early morning entry, so we sat at the tables near Cinnabon to wait for the rope drop. After several quick and easy rides of Spiderman, Doctor Doom, and Storm Force, we decided to let our stomachs settle with some character pictures- Spiderman was already available, so we went and posed with him- at least two of the kids did. 14 year old is entering the "I'm either too cool or too awkward to pose with superheroes" phase.

The rest of our day in the park included a charming (and alarming) visit with a dinosaur at the Raptor Encounter. There was already a line when we got over there, as well as an employee trying to make sure that everyone was aware that with was not a ride. Not a ride, but great fun and worth it. Highly recommend. What follows dinosaurs nicely- why a decorated for Christmas Seuss Landing, of course- but not before we stopped by the talking fountain in Lost Continent where Son #2 tried again (unsuccessfully) to give his sister to the fountain. :)

Lunchtime- we headed out of the park to Citywalk for what proved to be the best meal of the trip- Cowfish. The food is great, the service is top notch, and the atmosphere is fun. The boys had burgers, daughter and I had their version of a bento box (sushi with sliders), but the price goes to husband who ordered the: Cowfish Has Left the Building Burger- a Full-pound beef burger, creamy peanut butter, fried bananas, applewood bacon, brioche bun. Choice of side. (Make it a SINGLE HUNKA LOVE, half-pound beef burger for $12) (from site). Wow, this thing was unusual, and so good.

Good, long, lingering lunches leads to activity, so downstairs to the Hollywood Drive-In Golf we went. We still needed to use the vouchers from the Meal and Minigolf deal, so we tried the alien side. This was a lot of fun, and quite worth it- especially if you are staying for a longer trip like we were.

Did you know that you could use your club level key cards after you check out? We headed back to the Royal Pacific- and sure enough, we were able to get in. They were between services, but they kindly provided us with some fruit, and we sat around and watched part of a movie with our drinks. It was then that I realized our family was worn out completely- espcially those of us who are introverts in the family (myself and son 2).

After a quick drive over to Cabana Bay (which was decorated with silver tinsel Christmas trees), our buttons proved useful once again. During our smooth check in, the lady gave us three coupons for treats at the Bayliner Diner for the kids. The rooms here are well thought out and very comfortable for families. In fact, I had booked us two connecting family suites- so everyone had their own bed- and the kids had their own bathroom.

We got refillable mugs for the whole family at Bayliner Diner- since we did not have the drinks provided by the club level at Royal Pacific, we thought this would be a good choice, and it was. You could fill up the mugs in several places around the resort. Dinner at the Diner was good as well- we especially enjoyed the giant screens showing old-timey commercials. And then... we crashed. We enjoyed time by ourselves in our "double suite".

TIP(s): Cowfish! Raptor Encounter, and mini golf.

Up Next: Thanksgiving... bowling?

What a fantastic day! We adored Cowfish too.........went twice and both times were excellent, glad you enjoyed it too. And Spider-Man interaction is always fantastic.

Glad you had another wonderful day........and yes the club lounge staff are so kind and helpful........:thumbsup2

DAY 6/7: Thursday and Friday (I need to finish this up before it all gets forgotten.)

Thursday- Thanksgiving. We had originally made reservations to eat an early lunch at The Kitchen (Hard Rock Hotel.) They were serving a Thanksgiving buffet meal. But we were worn out, so we decided to sleep in on our comfy beds in our large family suites, and ended up at the Bayliner Diner again. Guess what? They were serving a Thanksgiving meal as well- one of the stations was converted to holiday dinner. But I was the only one to partake. What is better than having Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving? NOT having to eat a Thanksgiving dinner if you don't want to. (And this is another plus of the Bayliner Diner.)

After lunch/dinner, we went up to the Galaxy Bowl. Now, none of us are bowlers. In fact, only three of us had ever bowled before. They were having a special on the bowling ($9) per person- and because of the size of our party, we got the lane for 1 1/2 hours. This was a lot of fun! We didn't order any food- but we were able to refill our mugs there in the bowling alley. Son #2 bowled a turkey, and received a free t-shirt as a prize.

Following a fun bowling time we split ways again- the two youngest kids and Dad stayed back to play at the hotel. By then it was warm enough to be in the water, and they really enjoyed a long time at the pool with the waterslide, then across to the pool with the lazy river. Oldest son and I headed back over to the parks for some Christmas shopping. Son #2 had impressed us greatly with his Dobby imitation (from Harry Potter), so we wanted to get him the Dobby tshirt we had seen there. It wasn't in the hotel gift shop, so we rode the shuttle bus over to the park (this was very easy to do). We actually ended up going into both parks to find little items we were not able to get at the hotel gift shop. I stopped back by the sushi place for another roll and sashimi- yum! What a good value!

Back in the Bayliner diner for our final meal, then we hung out by the fire pits cooking smores. Instead of purchasing the kits at the hotel (which you can), I brought my own supplies. If you do this, be sure to bring something to cook them with (coat hanger, etc.)

The next day we headed back home- planning the next trip down as we drove away. What a great and wonderful family time... we will be back soon!

What a lovely last day you all had!! Bowling and hanging out sounds like it was just perfect for you all......and everyone got to eat the food they wanted......ideal!

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip.....it certainly was a special one for your family. Thank you for sharing it, it was a lovely read.......:wave:

Great trip. Glad you got chance to do all the extras like mini golf and bowling, we really enjoyed those on our last trip.

I enjoyed your report.
My sister and I were there the week before your trip and I am looking forward to going again sometime soon. I wish I had eaten at Cowfish! But I did the mini golf and ate at Margaritaville and many of the park offerings.
It was nice to read about your family adventure.

What fun! What a special celebration, too! I found your trip report in your response to my questions from first-timers... you included the link to get here. Tell me what you thought about RP vs. CB. We would like to have the extra room in a family suite -- and the resort seems a lot more cheerful and upbeat than RP. RP is gorgeous, but it seems very sedate. We are so torn. We will need to purchase the express unlimited passes since we are going during a busy time. RP would be 2200 and CB family suite plus tickets and passes would be 2500. We can save money by staying RP. But the room will be small and I just am so attracted to the fun of CB. Since you stayed at both, which did your family like better?

Since you stayed at both, which did your family like better?[/QUOTE]

We love both. If you are planning on being in the parks and eating at restaurants, go for the RP. If you are planning on spending more time hanging out at the resort, go for CB. You will LOVE how close RP is to the parks- the only downside to RP for us was the room size- but we also do the club level, so the club lounge is like our living/dining room. Look in to buying one annual pass and check for annual pass discounts when you book- it could save you a lot of money, if rooms are available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter