• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Give me your ultimate one day itinerary with a toddler

harrisdoesdisney

Earning My Ears
We are looking at going to Disneyland 2/1-2/3 and will have a toddler with us for one of the days. This little one will be turning 3 on Feb 13th and is about 35” tall as of today.

If you had one day to make it an ultimate experience for the little one, what would your one day itinerary be?

I'd do a character brunch at the Plaza Inn or Storytellers at the Grand Cal. Likely to get some decent photos with them and have a fun experience. Other than that a few hours in Fantasyland, a trip back to the room for a nap. The rest of the day is bonus. Best advice is to plan for plenty of relax/downtime. Happy family and little one = magical day. "Forced fun" = potential meltdown mode right when you are trying to find a spot for the fireworks.

We are looking at going to Disneyland 2/1-2/3 and will have a toddler with us for one of the days. This little one will be turning 3 on Feb 13th and is about 35” tall as of today.

If you had one day to make it an ultimate experience for the little one, what would your one day itinerary be?
Lots of options and need priorities to make specific

1. Where are you staying and plans to return mid-day for rest/nap?
2. What is typical 3 yo schedule
3. What are your priorities : anything?
4. No other members in the parties: especially other little ones
5. Importance of fireworks and parades to you
6. What characters are must haves?
7. Willing to do rope drop - typically 6AM wakeup commit or want to close out the night 10pm typically in feb.
8 Does this include DCA side or only DL?
9. Stroller (lie down option is best) or rental stroller or walking only (not recommended)?

Great questions!

We are likely staying at Peacock Suites as we’ve stayed before. If so, we know it’s a trek to go back and forth in the middle of the day, however, the toddler doesn’t nap so likely we will try to go early in the morning to rope drop since they start their day at 6:30/7:00 am as is!

So typical schedule for the child is wake up between 6:30-7:00 am, breakfast and then daycare and such. Snack around 9:30, lunch around 12:30 then dinner at 5. Bedtime routine starts at 6 and lights out by 7 so early riser but regimented and goes to bed easy as pie. Thinking DL only but willing to we have park hopper tickets anyway since going more than one day (just one day with toddler). Stroller is the GB pockit which is not a lie down one but have another that is. Just more cumbersome to travel with.

Other members of the party are mom, aunt and grandma (60). Grandma walks multiple times a day and lives in Europe so is used to walking everywhere in town.

Thinking DL only but willing to we have park hopper tickets anyway since going more than one day (just one day with toddler).
I think that is smart. DCA doesn't have all that much for 3 year olds.

Tom Sawyers island is another nice escape for little ones who like to run around.

I think that is smart. DCA doesn't have all that much for 3 year olds.

Overall I’d agree but there are a few hidden gems. Not sure how warm it will be in February (if that’s when the trip will be) but the Redwood Creek Trail in DCA is a fun spot to have some fun and get away from the madness. There are also a bunch of kid friendly rides around the Pier that usually have very short lines.

Overall I’d agree but there are a few hidden gems. Not sure how warm it will be in February (if that’s when the trip will be) but the Redwood Creek Trail in DCA is a fun spot to have some fun and get away from the madness. There are also a bunch of kid friendly rides around the Pier that usually have very short lines.
Colorado family so a little cold won’t hurt us :)

I would head to Toontown for its opening. They'll play music and characters are usually there to welcome you in to the land. At that point the lines to meet Mickey and Minnie will be short. Focus on the classic fantasyland attractions. Other ones my toddler thought were fun were Buzz Lightyear and Autopia. Play it by ear, carry lots of snacks and go with their flow. You'll have a great time.

Colorado family so a little cold won’t hurt us :)
Oh it's more that you never know how warm or cold So. Cal weather will be (kind of like how CO can be but with a bit higher floor than CO). I've been in So. Cal on Christmas and had a high in the 70s and cooked on the grill and other years it will be in the 50s. When we did our trip there in April half of the trip was long sleeve and jackets in the PM and part of the trip warmed up and it was pool time. If you do have a warm day with more sun then having a place to relax and escape can be nice. IMO the Grizzly Peak area and the Redwood Creek Trail is a great spot to do that (with a bonus being you can sneak out to the Grand Cal and eat at Craftsman quick service which is a great quieter spot to get a bite).

I would head to Toontown for its opening. They'll play music and characters are usually there to welcome you in to the land. At that point the lines to meet Mickey and Minnie will be short. Focus on the classic fantasyland attractions. Other ones my toddler thought were fun were Buzz Lightyear and Autopia. Play it by ear, carry lots of snacks and go with their flow. You'll have a great time.
This is great advice!

I'd plan on a relaxed day, and following the toddler's schedule. Our toddler days went something like this:

Rope drop Fantasyland (Our little one was an early riser, but I wouldn't wake a late sleeper up for rope drop if it might make them too tired for the rest of the day.)

Snack

Toontown or Tom Sawyer Island

Back to hotel for lunch, pool and nap

Park for Small World and other mellow rides. (We rode Small World 12 times on our toddler's first trip. Hands down it was his favorite.)

Watch the parade. Ride mark Twain riverboat

Dinner

Fireworks if the toddler likes that (Mine ended up being terrified and we had to leave the park)

Hotel

The parade will most likely be magical! Grab an ice cream at Clarabell's and find a spot on the curb to sit down. Get an autograph book, take lots of pics. It will be awesome. My daughter's first trip to DL was when she was approaching 3 yo. She also did Pirates & Haunted Mansion & loved it.

Pooh Corner is so much fun with littles too.

You are getting lots of good advice here and here is what I would do with my 3 year old (I currently have a just turned 4 year old and about to turn 2 year old so this plan still applies to me now)

Rope Drop but don't worry/stress about being right at the front of the rope
Head into Fantasyland and ask the child in advance if they would like to ride Dumbo or Alice first (you can show them Youtube videos in advance). Park the stroller near Dumbo and then ride whichever ride they chose and if you think dark rides are going to be an issue (if they will be scared) then just do Dumbo first. Also do Tea Cups, Storybook Boats and the carousal in addition to whatever dark rides you think they will like.

This will probably take you to about 9:30 or so in my experience. Around 9 if you think they are going to need a snack/second breakfast (mine always do) then either mobile order something to share from Red Rose Tavern (I usually do the breakfast platter with an extra side of tots) or if you are okay with sugar loading them then the mini doughnuts at Daisy's Cafe in Toontown are always a hit. Schedule the food to be picked up at like 9:30 or 9:45 and after you eat grab the stroller from Dumbo (if you ate a Red Rose) and head to Toontown. If the line isn't massive for Runaway Railway do that but if it is too long than just skip it. Head to Goofy's Playground and let the kids run around/play for a bit and then head to Mickey and/or Minnie's house to get some fun pictures. If your child is actually 35 inches (in shoes) and you think they will enjoy it then take them on Chip and Dale Coaster in the back of Toontown.

I always schedule a sit down lunch for 11 (if I can) or 11:30 so if you have time go on Small World (you probably won't) after Toontown and then it is probably time for lunch. If you are only doing Disneyland than I would try and book Cafe Orleans for 11:30 or if you don't want a place with a reservation Rancho Del Zocalo is also a hit with my kids.

After lunch my kids are ready for a nap so we go back to the room. Even if your little one doesn't nap time back in the room away from all the stimulation is always good. If going back to the room isn't an option than taking a ride on the Disneyland railroad all the way around a couple of times (the grand circle tour) is another good way to just rest your feet and take some down time. Each roundtrip takes about 20 minutes so go around at least twice. Unless you want to fold up your stroller just leave it at whatever station you get on at and then get off at the same station to pick up the stroller.

After nap/rest I would try to do Small World, Jungle Cruise, Buzz and Autopia in whatever order makes the most sense in terms of lines. You can also do Pirates and/or Haunted Mansion if you think your little one would like it. I would mobile order some ice cream from Gibson Girl to eat during the 6:30 parade and then do a little bit of shopping for a souvenir before calling it a night. You can also order some corndogs to eat during the parade if you are hungry or order them to pick up after the parade to take back to the room/eat on the way back. My kids love eating a "backwards dinner" where we eat ice cream during the parade and then have a floor picnic at the hotel with whatever food we grab on the way back (usually corndogs).

This probably a little too specific for you and you know your own kid best but this is general plan that has worked for me.

Every baby/toddler is different, and they also act different on certain days. Sometimes they wake up raring and ready to go, sometimes they wake up in a crabby mood. Flexibility is key. Try not to force anything. I always try and let my kiddo wake up as naturally as possible, especially if its going to be a long day. Be prepared for your child to potentially want to go on the same ride over and over again. Nap/rest time is suuuuuper important, especially if you have a hotel room to go back to. Keeping the little one fresh throughout the day will relieve stress and allow them to maximize their enjoyment, even if you're not able to cram a ton of rides in.

My kids love eating a "backwards dinner" where we eat ice cream during the parade and then have a floor picnic at the hotel with whatever food we grab on the way back (usually corndogs).
What a good idea! My kids are 13 and 17 but would love a backwards dinner lol. We will do that next time :)

I always schedule a sit down lunch for 11 (if I can) or 11:30 so if you have time go on Small World (you probably won't) after Toontown and then it is probably time for lunch. If you are only doing Disneyland than I would try and book Cafe Orleans for 11:30 or if you don't want a place with a reservation Rancho Del Zocalo is also a hit with my kids.
If you are interested, you can take the train from Toontown station to New Orleans Square. After Tomorrowland, it goes through the land of the dinosaurs which might be scary for some.

Also do the horse drawn trolly, the old school fire engine cars etc. So much fun and it's a tradition that I do with my now teen age daughter every trip. We even did it in Disneyland Paris

Also do the horse drawn trolly, the old school fire engine cars etc. So much fun and it's a tradition that I do with my now teen age daughter every trip. We even did it in Disneyland Paris
My kids love these too but just keep in mind you can't take your stroller on them so I find it best to take one from Town Square to Castle and then get off and take a different vehicle back to Town Square where your stroller is

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter