• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Give me the scoop on the Califonia Grill!

NoodlesTheRabbit

DIS Veteran
DH and I will be traveling in Nov. for our 1st wedding anniv trip! We are thinking of trying CG, but I am a little afraid of the food! I am so afraid that we will get there and not like anything on the menu. Is it difficult to get a window table to see the fireworks? I know MK will close early in Nov...how much time before the start of the fireworks should I make my PS? Thanks!

When I went in October, the fireworks were at 7 or 730. I had a PS for 5:30, when they opened and I got a great window seat, and my waitress was wonderful, she did not rush me or anything. I wasn't even really there for the fireworks, but they started just as I was finishing and my waitress brought me check and told me not too rush and enjoy the show.

The food there is wonderful. I am a very picky, 'meat and potatos' kind of person and I enjoyed it immensely. The flatbreads, the filet and everything was wonderful.

Check out the menu at wdwig.com.

If you are a really picky eater and want a very nice place, try Shula's at the Dolphin. For me (I traveled alone last time), Shula's and California Grille were about the same cost.

Keep in mind re the picky eaters issue, you can always modify menu items. If the "Poached Chicken with Goat Remulade and Parsnip Kringlors" doesn't ring your bell, ask for a plain grilled chicken breast. :)

I love Cali gril. My dbf is more of a meat and potatoes type too. I believe he got some kind of steak and loved it. There is pretty much something for everyone on the menu. As for planning for fireworks.....we made our ps for about an hour and 45 min before they were scheduled to begin. As soon as we got there we requested a table with a view of the fireworks and we got it. i'm sure it is not guaranted you will get one but if you are early and willing to wait a little for one....it more likely you will get one. Also let them know it is your anniversary and I'm sure they will do their best to grant your request.

Well--you can check out the menu yourself online. Unless you are an absolutely STRICT meat and potatoes person, you should find something you like.
As for the fireworks--a window table is nice if you can get one, but it's definately NOT a requirement to see the fireworks. All you need do is get up and walk out to the observation deck when the fireworks begin. When they are over, walk back in and resume your meal.
When we first started going to CG (and we've been there for dinner at least 8 times now) we always tried for a window table. But now we don't even make the effort--

is the sound piped onto the observation deck? Is it clear enough to hear the story properly (thinking of the new Wishes fireworks)?

This isn't a restaurant question, but along the same lines: how well can you hear Wishes from one of the pontoon boat cruises? It would be nice to hear as well as see it, since the whole story and music really adds to it (or so I've heard - haven't seen it yet). I don't think we will make it to MK at all - very short trip, and all adults.

Our last trip to the CG was on Halloween Night 2003. We waited for a window seat and spent some time on the observation deck before our table was ready.
Our server (don't remember her name) was fantastic! Our meals were great. I had the beef tenderloin and DH had the salmon. My steak was one of the best I've ever had. Even though we ordered dessert, we were done before the fireworks started. They were delayed for some reason. Our server simply brought Dh more coffee and allowed us to stay at our table for the show.
All in all, another fantastic experience at CG!

I am doing this for our 10th this May, checked out the park hours so we could see the fireworks, told the CM when we made PS it was our anniversary, and have since added a request for the rehitching ceremony, I have heard mentioned here it sounds like fun.

IMO, CG is now easier for me to find food that appeals to me since Chef John Slate (formerly of FF) took the reigns. Previously, the strict California style cooking left me struggling for options whereas Chef John has toned down the strict adherence to California cuisine in hopes of adding more mainstream variety...

As usual Unclerom's comments are right on. Uncle you really should become a food editor or something!
pirate:

More likely the "or something"--:) :) :)
bajanswife:
We haven't seen the new Wishes there yet, but since the observation deck is outside, we've always been able to see and hear quite well.

We ate at CG in Nov. and watched Wishes from the observation deck and it was great! They pipe in the whole thing...music, story, you hear the same thing that everyone in the park is hearing.

It's a great place for a celebration, or if you just want to make up a celebration:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter