Girls Trip Take 2 - Labor Day Weekend 2021 and Christmas 2021 Trip

1708659305038.png

1708659333094.png

1708659360098.png

1708659408250.png1708659386331.png
1708659437897.png
1708659472039.png

1708659496674.png
I did end up taking half a day off and spent that time making cornbread dressing for Danielle for her last night dinner. She had not been at Thanksgiving since 2020 and it's her favorite dish. It's Dennis' too so he wasn't complaining.

By the end of Mardi Gras we were all tired and enjoyed a big snuggle.
1708659635254.png
They didn't get off on Wednesday until a little after 12. Danielle's car was having some issues that our local mechanic was working on and the part was delivered until Wednesday morning. She made it back fine and had a few more days off to recover before going back to work.

I'm so glad she made a trip home but felt like I really didn't get to spend quality time with her since she was entertaining her friends. Dennis did hang out with them some while I was working so he did get some quality time. Danielle and I are both looking forward to spending time together when I go visit her in April in 56 sleeps.

Looks like a whirlwind, full of fun, trip for Danielle and her friends. Mardi Gras doesn’t exist here so I’m always intrigued to see the celebrations. The height of excitement here is Shrove Tuesday when it’s pancakes for dinner but hey at least I buy in some different toppings other than the traditional lemon and sugar :rotfl:
It’s great you’re getting back to see Danielle soon. The countdown has begun!

There is location right outside our neighborhood. If you're familiar with Cane's you know how good their chicken fingers are. Cane's is originally from Baton Rouge so it's a staple here.
We just got a Cane's... We have to go and try it. Is it really different than say Chick-a-fil?

We got drive through daiquiris before the parade because that's what you do in South Louisiana
Where does one do this?!?!

1708659360098.png
At least Disney doesn't charge for bathrooms!!!

Danielle and I are both looking forward to spending time together when I go visit her in April in 56 sleeps.
YEAH!!!

I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras. Looks like you all had a blast. Michelle makes some good-looking boys!!! Adorable!

There is nothing like Mardi Gras in Louisiana. I lived in the state my last two years of high school, and I remember how excited my friends were to introduce to me to the festivities and culture surrounding it my first year. Reading about Danielle bringing her friends to experience the event brought back fond memories. :goodvibes
I bet you all were exhausted by the end of it, though! I hope her friends enjoyed all the food. Louisiana food is delicious. And of course the friends had to try Cane's! It's a classic. :rotfl2: I actually found a copycat Cane's sauce recipe that Landon uses every single time I make chicken now.
New Orleans is an...experience. :laughing: I'm sure the group had many stories to come home with after visiting the French Quarter.

April will be here before you know it! Did you make any dining reservations? I actually had a pretty easy time booking what I wanted, so hopefully that doesn't give me false hope that the crowds won't be too bad.

If you're familiar with Cane's you know how good their chicken fingers are. Cane's is originally from Baton Rouge so it's a staple here.
We just started to get a few Cane's up in Northern Ohio. There is one not to far from us. I am not a fan and neither is Elizabeth or Jeff. I do like the Texas toast and the fries. Nick loves it though. He went with his friends last night after their band concert.

I have never been to Mardi Gras before. Really I haven't been to Louisiana. It is on my list to visit though. This all sounds like so much fun. A little bit like what St. Patrick's day is around but to a bigger extent. It all sounds like a lot of fun.

I woke up early to get packed up and head home. I wasn't it too big of a rush,
I am never in a rush to leave Disney. No matter what time I have to leave.
It also helps that we get the hour back we lost of the drive there.
You know... I do a fair amount of road trips... and I've never once thought of it that way. Huh.
Not having Dennis rushing me helped too.
:rolleyes1
The lobby was empty this early in the morning.
Roughly what time was that?
This was my first time making the drive all alone, but I'm glad to know I can do it if need be.
Good for you.
And... bonus. No one else picks the tunes!
Florida actually has the best rest areas of the states we drive through.
I rarely stop at rest stops... Usually the gas stations when needed are sufficient for me.
We had a really good trip and I'm so happy we all got to spend time with Danielle and enjoy the parks too.
:goodvibes
Thanks for sticking with us.
Thanks for writing! :)
I'm still recovering from Danielle's visit home with her friends.
Oh dear. :laughing:

:faint:
We ate lots of good food and has a taste of Mardi Gras.
That sounds like so much fun. :)
We don't usually do much for Mardi Gras anymore but we wanted to show our guests a good time. I think they had fun and I know they tried lots of good food.
Nice of you. Some day I might get down there, but... I'd be a little intimidated by the crowds around Mardi Gras I think? No clue.
If you're familiar with Cane's you know how good their chicken fingers are.
Nope. Never heard of it.
The theme was based on Alice in Wonderland.
Cool! I didn't know there were themes. :)
Lighted swords had to be purchased while we waiting.
But of course.
The next morning was the big Baton Rouge parade. Spanish Town which has been around since 1981. The signature color is pink and the flamingo is their mascot.
Sounds like fun. :)
It can at times be raunchy
ooh la la!
How it's done. Just chill.

:thumbsup2
um... :blush:

:lmao:
We got drive through daiquiris before the parade because that's what you do in South Louisiana.
:laughing:
So that's what you do!
The only parade they saw was Zulu and it was from a distance.
See? Even this. There's more than one parade??
had beignets at Café du Monde
My mom still talks about this... And she and my dad went... oh, decades and decades ago.
:eek:
Snope?
I did end up taking half a day off and spent that time making cornbread dressing for Danielle for her last night dinner. She had not been at Thanksgiving since 2020 and it's her favorite dish. It's Dennis' too so he wasn't complaining.
mmmmmmmmmm..... dressing!! Yes please!
By the end of Mardi Gras we were all tired and enjoyed a big snuggle.
1708659635254.png
Awww. :love:

Looks like a whirlwind, full of fun, trip for Danielle and her friends. Mardi Gras doesn’t exist here so I’m always intrigued to see the celebrations. The height of excitement here is Shrove Tuesday when it’s pancakes for dinner but hey at least I buy in some different toppings other than the traditional lemon and sugar :rotfl:

I had to look up Shrove Tuesday and it's a much better Christian way to start Lent than Mardi Gras. I guess being raised in South Louisiana has overshadowed this.

It’s great you’re getting back to see Danielle soon. The countdown has begun!

I'm so looking forward to it!

We just got a Cane's... We have to go and try it. Is it really different than say Chick-a-fil?

It really is. The chicken fingers are actual pieces of chicken in a seasoned batter. They do have a chicken sandwich but it's secondary to the fingers. The sauce is what makes it and the Texas toast. I like their coleslaw too.

Where does one do this?!?!

Lots of different places. Not all places have actual drive thru but you can get your big go cup.

At least Disney doesn't charge for bathrooms!!!

Don't hold your breath, they may be the next thing they nickel and dime us for.

I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras. Looks like you all had a blast. Michelle makes some good-looking boys!!! Adorable!

I think it's something everyone should experience at least once.

Michelle's boys are all good looking, but I'm also partial.

There is nothing like Mardi Gras in Louisiana. I lived in the state my last two years of high school, and I remember how excited my friends were to introduce to me to the festivities and culture surrounding it my first year. Reading about Danielle bringing her friends to experience the event brought back fond memories. :goodvibes

I'm so happy you have good memories of Mardi Gras. I hope her friends have some too.

I bet you all were exhausted by the end of it, though! I hope her friends enjoyed all the food. Louisiana food is delicious. And of course the friends had to try Cane's! It's a classic. :rotfl2: I actually found a copycat Cane's sauce recipe that Landon uses every single time I make chicken now.

They just got a Cane's in Orlando close to where they live but they needed to get some from where it originated. The sauce is what makes it so good. Landon has good taste.

New Orleans is an...experience. :laughing: I'm sure the group had many stories to come home with after visiting the French Quarter.

New Orleans is not for the faint of heart.

April will be here before you know it! Did you make any dining reservations? I actually had a pretty easy time booking what I wanted, so hopefully that doesn't give me false hope that the crowds won't be too bad.

I'm really getting excited. My ADR day was last Sunday. I didn't have too much trouble too but didn't make reservation for every day. We need to see if any of our days match up. We arrive late Thursday night on the 18th. Friday is Epcot, Saturday is MK, Sunday is DHS and Monday is AK. We fly back out on Tuesday late afternoon. I have a late breakfast at Kona's for Tuesday and hopefully we can pop into MK for a bit.

We just started to get a few Cane's up in Northern Ohio. There is one not to far from us. I am not a fan and neither is Elizabeth or Jeff. I do like the Texas toast and the fries. Nick loves it though. He went with his friends last night after their band concert.

I like Cane's but I don't love it. The guys tend to like it more. It's really big here since the founder Todd Graves started it here over by LSU. I love his Instagram. Whenever something big happens in a city they have a location he participates. After the Super Bowl 2 of the Chief's players worked at a location as a promotional gig.

I have never been to Mardi Gras before. Really I haven't been to Louisiana. It is on my list to visit though. This all sounds like so much fun. A little bit like what St. Patrick's day is around but to a bigger extent. It all sounds like a lot of fun.

You need to go to New Orleans when it's not Mardi Gras to enjoy what she has to offer and go again for Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras is celebrated in New Orleans over several weeks.

Roughly what time was that?
It was a little after 8 in the morning.

Good for you.
And... bonus. No one else picks the tunes!

There's that too and I can play my music as loud as I want.

I rarely stop at rest stops... Usually the gas stations when needed are sufficient for me.

I've had 3 kids and I take a blood pressure medicine that is a diuretic, so lots of stops for me.
Nice of you. Some day I might get down there, but... I'd be a little intimidated by the crowds around Mardi Gras I think? No clue.

You need to go when it's not Mardi Gras and when it is.

Nope. Never heard of it.

Basic chicken fingers but the batter and the sauce makes it.

Cool! I didn't know there were themes. :)

Every parade has a theme.

How it's done. Just chill.

You have to get your spot staked out before the parade, then you have to wait for it get to you. Lots of chill time before the parade.

See? Even this. There's more than one parade??

Mardi Gras is over several weeks, mostly weekends. The weekend before Fat Tuesday there will be several parades all day long.

My mom still talks about this... And she and my dad went... oh, decades and decades ago.

You need to go.

Yep.

mmmmmmmmmm..... dressing!! Yes please!

I make a really good cornbread dressing but it takes hours. a true labor of love.

It was a little after 8 in the morning.
Huh. I'm surprised that it's that empty at that time of day.
There's that too and I can play my music as loud as I want.
6b137942.gif
I've had 3 kids and I take a blood pressure medicine that is a diuretic, so lots of stops for me.
I wasn't judging at all!
I was just trying to say that I typically don't stop at rest stops so can't compare one to another.

Sorry if I offended. Wasn't meant to.
You need to go when it's not Mardi Gras and when it is.
Yes. Yes I do. :)
Every parade has a theme.
Hmm... yes, I suppose they do. I guess I just thought of a Mardi Gras parade as being... anything goes themed!
You have to get your spot staked out before the parade, then you have to wait for it get to you. Lots of chill time before the parade.
That's okay. I think a lot of parades are that way. :)
Mardi Gras is over several weeks, mostly weekends. The weekend before Fat Tuesday there will be several parades all day long.
I had no idea! I thought it all mostly happened on the one day... One weekend at most!
You need to go.
Maybe some day. :)
I make a really good cornbread dressing but it takes hours. a true labor of love.
Well then I'd love the recipe.

Or a chance to try yours. ;)

I wasn't judging at all!
I was just trying to say that I typically don't stop at rest stops so can't compare one to another.

Sorry if I offended. Wasn't meant to.

You didn't offend me, I'm just use to defending myself with my family. Michelle has more sympathy for me now that she has had 3 kids too. Dennis is like you and only stops when we need gas.

Yes. Yes I do. :)

Put it on your short list. Do no come in the heat of summer.

Hmm... yes, I suppose they do. I guess I just thought of a Mardi Gras parade as being... anything goes themed!

There are themes and even judging of floats at some parades.

I had no idea! I thought it all mostly happened on the one day... One weekend at most!

It's a marathon.

Well then I'd love the recipe.

Or a chance to try yours. ;)

It's my Grandmother's recipe. Maybe I'll share it. I know you celebrate Thanksgiving before we do.

You didn't offend me, I'm just use to defending myself with my family.
:(
That's not okay.
Michelle has more sympathy for me now that she has had 3 kids too.
::yes:: That happens.
Dennis is like you and only stops when we need gas.
:car:
Put it on your short list. Do no come in the heat of summer.
I've heard that... I won't if I can help it.
It's a marathon.
So I'm learning!
It's my Grandmother's recipe. Maybe I'll share it. I know you celebrate Thanksgiving before we do.
::yes::

We arrive late Thursday night on the 18th. Friday is Epcot, Saturday is MK, Sunday is DHS and Monday is AK. We fly back out on Tuesday late afternoon. I have a late breakfast at Kona's for Tuesday and hopefully we can pop into MK for a bit.

We are going to be in Epcot on Friday and DHS on Sunday, as well!
I'm trying to work around a dessert party but unfortunately they haven't released dates past the 20th yet.

Friday afternoon Danielle booked us the room in the preferred section. Flower and Garden here we come! Danielle is always excited when we can come visit her. She will also be picking us up and dropping us back off at the airport. We'll arrive late Thursday, April 18th and leave on Tuesday, April 23rd. @amazingact21 and @disneyAndi14 I think our dates match up. I'm hoping we can get together again.
Yay for a Flower and Garden trip AND time with your sweet girl!
t's time to finish this report up and move along.
I woke up early to get packed up and head home. I wasn't it too big of a rush, not like when we drive down. It also helps that we get the hour back we lost of the drive there. Not having Dennis rushing me helped too.
I said goodbye to the room and then drove to the front to grab some breakfast for the road.
How many hours is the drive from Disney to Louisiana?
I'm still recovering from Danielle's visit home with her friends. We ate lots of good food and has a taste of Mardi Gras. We don't usually do much for Mardi Gras anymore but we wanted to show our guests a good time. I think they had fun and I know they tried lots of good food.
Sonds fun!
This was a good parade to give them a taste. The next morning was the big Baton Rouge parade. Spanish Town which has been around since 1981. The signature color is pink and the flamingo is their mascot. It's a much bigger parade held during the day. It can at times be raunchy but always fun. It starts in the old Baton Rouge neighborhood of Spanish Town and runs through downtown, ending near the state capital. It was really crowded and we came home with way too much stuff.
Love this tradition! We only do Shrove Tuesday here but this is so much more fun!
We got drive through daiquiris before the parade because that's what you do in South Louisiana. The parade was small but full of people we knew.
I need to know more about drive through daiquiris!
Dennis took the kids to New Orleans on Mardi Gras Day while I was working from home. Not everyone gets Mardi Gras off here.

The only parade they saw was Zulu and it was from a distance. They did experience the French Quarter and see lots of interesting sights. They took a look around the Roosevelt, had beignets at Café du Monde and walked down Bourbon St.
I have not been to New Orleans yet......one day!
I'm so glad she made a trip home but felt like I really didn't get to spend quality time with her since she was entertaining her friends. Dennis did hang out with them some while I was working so he did get some quality time. Danielle and I are both looking forward to spending time together when I go visit her in April in 56 sleeps.
You will have a great time together. :)

I love all the family pictures and enjoying the Mardi Gras festivities 🥳

How fun to have the family together for a week!

I have been to New Orleans once in Mayand we loved it! We did have beignets from Cafe Dumond sp? We loved walking everywhere and the food, yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter