Girls Trip Take 2 - Labor Day Weekend 2021 and Christmas 2021 Trip

Travel Day- Nothing Will Stop Us Now

Our original travel day was going to be Saturday, September 4th. Everyone was going to be flying in to meet Danielle. We had our flights arranged that we would be able to take Magical Express all together.

But what's a trip to Disney without a little Drama?

Our Drama was named Ida and she had Baton Rouge in her cone of uncertainty.

Hurricane Ida was headed for Louisiana and was going to hit Sunday night on August 29th. It was looking like it would pass right over Baton Rouge. This is pretty rare. We're pretty far inland and most hurricane tend to miss passing right over us. I'm not saying that we have never had a direct hit but they usually pass the east or west of us. If they come anywhere close to us we know we will have several days without power.

I spent the Sunday leading up to Ida hitting finishing all my wash and packing. I never finish packing this early but I wanted to make sure I did it while we still had power.

Ida did hit Sunday night/early Monday morning and we did have lots of wind and rain but not as bad as it could have been since we were on the west side of it. The areas on the east side get the worst of the storm and more damage. This photo shows where it was projected in blue and were it actually went.
1688952338746.png

We did lose power. Luckily we have a generator and a window unit. We learned a hard lesson when Gustav came through. The office I was working in at the time was right down the street from our house so we didn't have power there either. The company I worked for has 3 locations, Baton Rouge, Metairie and Hammond. Metairie and Hammond were both on the wrong side of the storm and had more damage that we did. They also had no power. Hammond ended up being one of the areas that had a lot of damage.

New Orleans did not have power either, so of course the airport didn't have power. We hoped and prayed that they would get power so we could still fly out on Saturday. I don't know if they got power but Southwest cancelled our flights Tuesday, August 31st. They did give us a full refund, normally it's credit towards another flight. We did have to call and request the refund. No one was working so that gave Michelle and I time to come up with an alternate plan because we were not going to NOT go to Disney.

What to do? We couldn't fly out so we had to drive. Road Trip! I booked a room in Tallahassee for the Friday night. I added an extra night at Movies for just me and Danielle. I would need a good nights sleep before driving back alone. Michelle booked a return flight from Orlando to Baton Rouge on the Tuesday she was originally going to fly back anyway. She was also still able to use Magical Express.

We finally got power back on Thursday afternoon as did my office. The other 2 locations did not get power back until after I had returned from my trip. I went to work after the power came on to clean out the fridge and get the office ready for the next day since I was the closest to the office. Have you ever worked in an insurance office right after a catastrophe? I have done my fair share and it's hard. Some of the agents from our other 2 locations made the drive to Baton Rouge to help man the phones. We worked from 8 am to 5 pm with no lunches and the phone never stopped ringing. I hated to leave them but when 5 came around I did.

Michelle only had to work 1/2 the day so she dropped off John Paul with her mother-in-law and was waiting for me at home. I changed clothes and packed the car. We were ready for our road trip to begin.

1688954177223.png

The GPS was showing our arrival time at the hotel for 11:29 pm. Of course this was still showing central time zone and we would cross over to eastern time zone before we got to the hotel. It also did not account for the traffic and stops. We hit the road at 5:36 pm.
1688954302094.png

We drove on I-12 until we hit I-10. We were traveling some of the areas hit really hard by Ida. This of course made the traffic even worse. We were amazed at what we saw just from the interstate.

1688954410288.png

1688954433487.png

Our first stop was the Mississippi welcome center. This is my usual first stop and it's usually a good one. The trip we just took in April was the worst we have ever seen it but I'll save that story for that trip.

We stopped for dinner and gas before Mobile, AL. I think it might have been Tilman's Corner. Our meal of choice was Arby's. It was fast and hit the spot.
1688954764681.png

It didn't take long until we saw this. IFYKYK
1688954804427.png

Our next stop was the Florida Welcome Center.

1688954869505.png

1688954896220.png

1688954916113.png

We had fun sending pictures to Danielle to let her know where we were.

Michelle did really good trying to stay awake for me but she really needed her sleep. We were running really far behind due to the traffic and stops. I'm sure I had at least one more stop before we made it to the hotel. I really had a hard time the later it got. I should not have tried to go so far after working a full day. I will not try to get that far again if I ever have to drive that late in the day. It was after 1 am eastern time zone when we finally got to the hotel. We stayed at the Candlewood Suites on Lakeshore Dr. in Tallahassee. It was a nice room and was just what we needed and it was close to the interstate.

Pictures in next post.

Our room for a few hours.

1688955897086.png
1688955925978.png

1688955951347.png
1688955977208.png
1688955999664.png

It was after 2 am before I went to bed and I needed to be up in just a few hours. We wanted to be at Movies to meet Leah when she got off ME.

The alarm was going off again much too soon. We packed up and checked out.
1688956172367.png

Breakfast was the Chick Fil A Drive through. I just love those chicken minis. I didn't get to enjoy my full order of chicken minis due to them falling off the the seat and hitting the floorboards. Michelle was nice and shared hers with me.

We were texting and sending pictures to Danielle to keep her updated. We sent her this picture of cows. When she was really little and getting fussy in the car on road trips we would point out the cows and she would stop fussing to look. Think of how Doug would react when he heard "squirrel".

1688956413828.png

We stopped at one of the many tourist traps along I-75. I was really hoping to get some orange juice but we didn't find any here. We did find a stuffed gator.

1688956522050.png

Our final stop was one that we seem to always stop at, the convivence stop on the Turnpike. We had some fun taking more pictures to send to Danielle.

1688956717139.png

1688956748367.png

Up next, we finally make it to WDW.

I love how you can get in your car and just drive for hours and hours. If we drove from Malin Head ( northern most point) to Mizen Head ( southern most tip) in a straight line non-stop it would take about 8 hours. Any further and you’d fall off the land 😂.
I’m sure Danielle was getting so excited knowing you were coming closer with each set of photos but I agree with you that you probably needed more sleep earlier in the journey. It must have been hard to keep going. I’m sure you were very happy to be heading to your happy place especially after seeing all the destruction caused by the storm.

Of course not.
Woot!
You're photos are imaginative and fun!
:) Thanks.
But what's a trip to Disney without a little Drama?
<sigh>

Of course.
Hurricane Ida was headed for Louisiana and was going to hit Sunday night on August 29th. It was looking like it would pass right over Baton Rouge.
:scared:
Ida did hit Sunday night/early Monday morning and we did have lots of wind and rain but not as bad as it could have been since we were on the west side of it. The areas on the east side get the worst of the storm and more damage. This photo shows where it was projected in blue and were it actually went.
Boy, that's close, though! Glad you were (sort of) spared.
No one was working so that gave Michelle and I time to come up with an alternate plan because we were not going to NOT go to Disney.
One does not simply not go to Disney.
What to do? We couldn't fly out so we had to drive. Road Trip!
Road trip!!!
We finally got power back on Thursday afternoon as did my office.
Whoa. Long time without power. Smart you have a generator. I presume most people in your area do?
The other 2 locations did not get power back until after I had returned from my trip.
Holy smokes! :faint:
Have you ever worked in an insurance office right after a catastrophe? I have done my fair share and it's hard.
I have not, and I can only imagine. Never thought of it from that point of view before.
1688954177223.png
Two gals ready to paint the town... er, parks red!
The GPS was showing our arrival time at the hotel for 11:29 pm. Of course this was still showing central time zone and we would cross over to eastern time zone before we got to the hotel. It also did not account for the traffic and stops. We hit the road at 5:36 pm.
I always take that as a personal challenge. :laughing:
We were amazed at what we saw just from the interstate.
That's a lot of trees down. Whoa.
The trip we just took in April was the worst we have ever seen it but I'll save that story for that trip.
popcorn::
It didn't take long until we saw this. IFYKYK
I do not know.
You both look pretty spry still. :)
I really had a hard time the later it got. I should not have tried to go so far after working a full day.
I've done those drives. They're not easy.
It was after 1 am eastern time zone when we finally got to the hotel.
Not bad! GPS said 11:30, but with all the slow-downs and stops...
It was after 2 am before I went to bed and I needed to be up in just a few hours.
Ugh...
But I know the thought of Disney got you going again. :)

Doing that leaving Disney? Not so fun.
Breakfast was the Chick Fil A Drive through. I just love those chicken minis.
I've only been to Chick Fil A a couple times. I don't know what those are. Like tenders? Or McDonald's nuggets?
I didn't get to enjoy my full order of chicken minis due to them falling off the the seat and hitting the floorboards.
:headache:
When she was really little and getting fussy in the car on road trips we would point out the cows and she would stop fussing to look. Think of how Doug would react when he heard "squirrel".
:lmao:
We had some fun taking more pictures to send to Danielle.
Still both looking pretty happy. :)

I love your road trip pictures! I would be like you, ready to crash after working all day!
At least you can stop at some cool places along the way!

So sorry for your loss. Vanessa. Thinking of you and the family. xo

So sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to find comfort in your memories.

I could never road trip after a long work day. Weeeeellll maybe if the destination was Disney.

So sorry to hear of Dennis's Dad passing. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers this week.

A road trip is my favorite kind of vacation!!! We are leaving this Saturday to drive to Universal Orlando for Jimmy's graduation present :) Can't wait for the adventure!

I love how you can get in your car and just drive for hours and hours. If we drove from Malin Head ( northern most point) to Mizen Head ( southern most tip) in a straight line non-stop it would take about 8 hours. Any further and you’d fall off the land 😂.

I wish it only took 8 hours to get to Disney. I think we spend 8 hours just driving in Florida.

I’m sure Danielle was getting so excited knowing you were coming closer with each set of photos but I agree with you that you probably needed more sleep earlier in the journey. It must have been hard to keep going. I’m sure you were very happy to be heading to your happy place especially after seeing all the destruction caused by the storm.

She was very excited. She had never been away from home for that long before. She was really ready to see family.

I had to be like Dory and "Just keep swimming".

I was very happy to be leaving the destruction behind for a little while.

Boy, that's close, though! Glad you were (sort of) spared.

We were too. It could have been a lot worse.

One does not simply not go to Disney.

That was my thought exactly.

Whoa. Long time without power. Smart you have a generator. I presume most people in your area do?

It was a long time, but not as bad as in 2008 when Gustav paid us a visit and we didn't have a generator. Lot of people have than and some have the generator that are hooked up to the house and automatically come on.

I have not, and I can only imagine. Never thought of it from that point of view before.

I've been through many hurricanes and one devastating flood. It takes months before things start easing up.

Two gals ready to paint the town... er, parks red!

Yes we were!

I always take that as a personal challenge. :laughing:

So do I!

That's a lot of trees down. Whoa.

And this was just one small area. We saw this over and over between the Livingston area up until after Hammond.

I do not know.

When you travel on I-10 and go through Mobile, there is an underground tunnel that goes under Mobile Bay. It part of the drive to the many beaches in Alabama and Florida and going to Disney.

You both look pretty spry still. :)

This was the beginning of Florida. We had a very long way still to go in Florida.

I've done those drives. They're not easy.

I will not do that again.

Not bad! GPS said 11:30, but with all the slow-downs and stops...

My eyes were telling me something different.

Ugh...
But I know the thought of Disney got you going again. :)

Yes it did.

Doing that leaving Disney? Not so fun.

Can't do the late day departure on the way home. We always leave early and look forward to getting the hour back we lost.

I've only been to Chick Fil A a couple times. I don't know what those are. Like tenders? Or McDonald's nuggets?

Chicken mini biscuits but the bread part is more like rolls.

1689132551405.png
Still both looking pretty happy. :)

We were having fun getting there!

I’m so sorry for your loss! I know what you are going through!

Thank you Caroline. I know your family just loss someone too.

I love your road trip pictures! I would be like you, ready to crash after working all day!

Thank you! I normally sleep while Dennis drives, so it was hard for me to be the one having to stay awake.

At least you can stop at some cool places along the way!

We tried to make the most of it and have some fun.

So sorry to hear of Dennis's Dad passing. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers this week.

Thank you Jackie! We need them but his Dad needs them the most.

A road trip is my favorite kind of vacation!!! We are leaving this Saturday to drive to Universal Orlando for Jimmy's graduation present :) Can't wait for the adventure!

How fun! How long does it take you to get there?

I hope you have a safe and fun time.

We were too. It could have been a lot worse.
:scared:
It was a long time, but not as bad as in 2008 when Gustav paid us a visit and we didn't have a generator. Lot of people have than and some have the generator that are hooked up to the house and automatically come on.
I totally can see that.
I've been through many hurricanes and one devastating flood. It takes months before things start easing up.
:faint:

"months"...
:thumbsup2
When you travel on I-10 and go through Mobile, there is an underground tunnel that goes under Mobile Bay. It part of the drive to the many beaches in Alabama and Florida and going to Disney.
Ohhh.
I've never traveled that stretch. Closest I've gotten to you was Lake Charles, LA.
This was the beginning of Florida. We had a very long way still to go in Florida.
Florida is too long! They really need to shorten it.
My eyes were telling me something different.
:cat:
Chicken mini biscuits but the bread part is more like rolls.
Those look pretty good. But... no condiments on them? Do you eat them like that? Or put something on them?
We were having fun getting there!
:goodvibes

Ohhh.
I've never traveled that stretch. Closest I've gotten to you was Lake Charles, LA.

I have family in Lake Charles. What were you doing there?

Florida is too long! They really need to shorten it.

I wish!

Those look pretty good. But... no condiments on them? Do you eat them like that? Or put something on them?

I eat them plain, but they do offer jelly or sauces.

So excited you've started another trip report - I love following along on your adventures!

I'm so sorry for your loss - we lost both my husband's parents this year and nothing quite prepares you for that. Prayers for your whole family 🙏

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter